How many elite fighters have a better top game than Luke Rockhold?

Threetrees

He/Him
@plutonium
Reaction score
I say about three off hand

Demian Maia
Khabib
Jon Jones

Maybe Jacare, who obviously has better BJJ (I'd argue than anyone on the list) but Luke has looked better in the scramble, including in their fight, and I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone get up when Luke was on top of them
who you got

Last edited:
Doesnt mean shit if you cant get him down AND keep him there

2017-09-18-19-32-12-.jpg

Maia
Brock Lesnar

Perhaps Khabib, but I've not really seen him do it to a plethora of top guys.

BJ had an amazing top game. Unfortunately we rarely saw it..

Maia is more about taking the back though.

Maia is more about taking the back though.
That's part of having a good top game
Though granted he does a lot of work from half-guard to get there

BJ had an amazing top game. Unfortunately we rarely saw it..

BJ probably has one of the most, if not the most, well constructed ground game in MMA history in his best performances. Great guard recovery and sweeps, and his top game when we saw it was basically unstoppable. His pass from guard to mount is to die for

Last edited:
I'm just here to reiterate BJ Penn's top game was amazing.

Rockhold has the best top game in MMA.

Guys like Maia and Jacare are better grapplers, even better MMA grapplers probably, but that top game of Rockhold, god damn.

Rockhold has the best top game in MMA.

Guys like Maia and Jacare are better grapplers, even better MMA grapplers probably, but that top game of Rockhold, god damn.
Has anyone survived it yet?

Jacare in their fight?

Dudes a beast and makes fighters look like children.

I wouldn't say better, but Fitch should get honorable mention. He really wrestlefucked his division for a while.

Askren is as good, if not better, albeit with lesser competition outside the UFC. Too bad we'll never get to see him against the best.

GSP had the best combination of top game, positional BJJ and GNP imo.

it's certainly not crazy to argue he has the best top game in the sport.

Has anyone survived it yet?

Jacare in their fight?

Dudes a beast and makes fighters look like children.

I believe Rockhold just avoided the grappling against Jacare. Jacare got a few takedowns but Rockhold was always able to get back up immediately.

There were both believed to be pretty much pure grapplers back then (Jacrae obviously being more accomplished) and ended up having a 5 round war on the feet with both fighters looking good.

I say about three off hand

Demian Maia
Khabib
Jon Jones

Maybe Jacare, who obviously has better BJJ (I'd argue than anyone on the list) but Luke has looked better in the scramble, including in their fight, and I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone get up when Luke was on top of them
who you got
Jon Jones? You are truly fucking retarded. He's good and all, but he doesn't get on top very often. And he's a cheater.

Absolutely none of them. Say what you like about the guy, but he's ridiculously dominant once he gets top position.

Back