Serious question: should competing on PEDs be a criminal offense?

emema

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
It's illegal to drive under the influence because it puts other people's lives at risk. Well, what about combat sports? Shouldn't it be illegal to compete under the influence of banned substances as it clearly puts the other fighter at an increased risk of serious harm.

Yes, and I think Cyborg should be the first one imprisoned for it.

No, but the punishment should be stiffer. First offense, no less than a couple of years suspension. Second = lifetime ban.

It's impractical for the same reason they don't criminally charge people for failing a test (even tho steroids are illegal)

Yes.

But it would be almost impossible to convict, therefor it'd be a waste of time and tax dollars

Fighters would still take them because of the taboo.

I think it depends on the steroids.

If you were to be given some wolverine shit then yes. If you were taking run of the mill roaids then no.

I mean if you can be criminally charged for plaster of Paris then you could be charged for roids.

Realistically if someone popped and their opponent either died or was critically injured you would probably see cimrinal charges.

Probably. Any fighter who takes supplements and is eligible for testing should save samples of everything they take so if they test positive and are honest they can submit everything for testing to clear their name. This is common sense if i''m thinking it so any fighter who "pops" and claims tainted supplements but doesn't have the exact batch they took is either stupid or hiding something...

I don't think it should be a charge in and of itself, the way a DUI is, but I think the laws regarding violence are suspended under very specific circumstances in sanctioned events. People are allowed to legally beat the shit out of each other because they have agreed to a set of rules and a body of "experts" have deemed that the match making is fair. I'm very open to the idea that when one guy knowingly makes it way more dangerous for his opponent they have stepped outside of the terms under which the violence was sanctioned and perhaps they should be charged with simple assault.

Regardless of the fighting aspect, what about the fact that the fighter is in possession of illegal drugs? Why isn't that prosecuted? I've wondered why the DEA doesn't raid the homes of every pro bodybuilder since their physiques clearly show they are in possession of illegal substances.

Yes. It's illegal to punch before or after the bell. It would be illegal to bring in a knife and stab. It's illegal to harden gloves. Fighting on roids should very much so be criminally prosecuted

Regardless of the fighting aspect, what about the fact that the fighter is in possession of illegal drugs? Why isn't that prosecuted? I've wondered why the DEA doesn't raid the homes of every pro bodybuilder since their physiques clearly show they are in possession of illegal substances.

Not exactly a ground breaking bust lol

Back