If the test sticks , is Jones officially the Mike Tyson of MMA?

Money509

A Level Poster
@Silver
Reaction score
Ok we know the processs, jones team will fight it. There will be a big spectacle out of it and they will try to prove he is innocent and that maybe in fact he was set up. If its proven he did take what he took intentionally is he officially the Mike Tyson of MMA?

Jones is going to be possibly the worst case of wasted talent in MMA history, its honestly very dissapointing as a fan. I thought this was when we where finally going to get those GOAT superfights at HW with him. Wasted talent and wasted potential is what is looks like jones career is going to be.
giphy.gif

I don't understand the comparison to Tyson.

Tyson was more than a champ.
He was the main character in an original Nintendo game, he was featured as an actor and singer in The Hangover movies, and he is an A list celebrity.

Tyson was a bad boy at times.
BUT TYSON WAS ALWAYS SINCERE, HE WAS NEVER A PHONY.

I've said it for years that he was the Tyson of MMA. Got in very young, had an amazing prime, got rich, got into trouble and kept getting into trouble while winning fights.

All that is left is a prison stint, conversion to Islam and looking like a shell of himself when he tries to come back in his mid 30s. I can see all of the latter happening.

He was the main character in an original Nintendo game, he was featured as an actor and singer in The Hangover movies, and he is an A list celebrity.

Very similair. Jones like tyson was a dominant champion who came onto the scene very quickly destroying dudes and both viewed as special talents.

Tyson basically singlehandedly derailed his career just like jones is doing.

Jones is the Barry Bonds of MMA. Bonds was possibly the greatest hitter in MLB history and was talented enough to break records without cheating, but he cheated anyway.

Jones doesn't compare to Tyson at all.

Tyson was a polarizing figure, the most vicious knockout puncher ever. He's still a big name and filthy rich.

Tyson never failed a drug test, at least not that I'm aware of. He was crazy, but he wasn't (caught) cheating.

Jones doesn't compare to Tyson at all.

Tyson was a polarizing figure, the most vicious knockout puncher ever. He's still a big name and filthy rich.

Got to meet him and get an autograph. Cool guy, the guy is a human pitbull

Tyson is still extremely well known. In a couple of years Jon will be known as could've been

He did bite Evander's ear off
In the Undisputed Truth Tyson said he used a fake penis to pass urine tests too. But like I said, his problems weren't popping for steroids.

The majority of your average joes know and glorify Tyson despite knowing nothing about his mistakes and him not competing for almost 2 decades. Those same people wont have an idea who Jon Jones is in 2 years or wont renember him for anything but his fuck ups.

Jones is the Barry Bonds of MMA. Bonds was possibly the greatest hitter in MLB history and was talented enough to break records without cheating, but he cheated anyway.

I agree with the comparison and everything you said before that. Bonds was a sure thing 1st ballot hall of famer but before the roids he was not breaking any of those records. His best years were from 35-39 which got him all the records and 4 MVPs. That just doesn't happen without the juice as you can see from his numbers preceding that.

Last edited:
I thought Tyson admitted to ped use? Started when he was a teenager?

I'm not saying this as someone his hates Tyson, but you have a vastly romanticized notion of who Tyson is. He wasn't sincere when apologized the first time to Holyfield. He wasn't sincere when he was married to Monica Turner and (by his own account) had over 20 side chicks. He wasn't passionate about boxing at all in the latter part of his career, he simply was in debt and needed money to keep up his decadent lifestyle and massive use of drugs, and it very clearly showed in his performances. And just lol at you saying he was a 'singer' in The Hangover, yes I saw the scene, but come on man.

Last edited:
Back