Should Jon Jones be fined his full pay + PPV cut?

Alpha_T83

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Of course Jon Jones is entitled to full due process (just like DC said in his statement). We don't want to jump the gun and assume he's guilty.

However, IF Jones B sample is tested & confirms steroid use, what does this mean? It could possibly mean he knew he couldn't beat DC clean, and decided to juice anyway and risk it. He might get popped, or his masking agents might work. Either way, he may have decided to go for a big payday and win, rather than fight clean and potentially lose.

In cases like this, shouldn't fighters be fined all of their show, win, and PPV cut money? Lesnar came into the UFC for a one-off fight, tested positive, and got a huge payday. I don't really think this should be possible. There should be some laws in the US that your pay as a pro athlete is contingent upon testing clean.

It's really a shame that Jones is going to walk away with 5-10 million dollars for this fight. That doesn't send a good message to young athletes. Basically once you're getting old and slowing down, it pays to start doping until you're caught.

Not sure that's ever happened before.

I know that fighters have been fined their bonuses, but the full ppv?

Yes. The scale of this event from the personal rivalry between dc and jon to the fact it sold a million ppv to fans who were none the wiser... its either that or people sue the shit out of the ufc or usada. i know he seems bitchy but im of the same opinion as mark hunt with all this

Strip him of the belt and fine him, likelyhood is he won't fight again for four years, he has a family, I say not earning for four years is enough of a punishment.

Strip him of the belt and fine him, likelyhood is he won't fight again for four years, he has a family, I say not earning for four years is enough of a punishment.
Hope he's been saving up, he's earned boat loads of cash but that doesn't matter if you spend more than you earn.

At this point just cut all ties with him. He's never going to change and will screw up many future events if they gove him the chance.

I think they should make him fight Stipe in Detroit as punishment. I mean traveling to Detroit? That's cruel!

i honestly think it should be a hasher punishment than missing weight which if i remeber correctly is 30% of the fighters purse given to the other fighter and then he should have to pay all of his fines out of whatever is left i mean hes still making 100,000's of dollars if not millions even after the deduction and fines to cheat and hurt a guy with an unfair advantage. that being said his b sample has to come back dirty before anything happens because false positives can happen regardless of how unlikey it is in this situation

He should have to give it to DC

I agree. If you give 10-20% of your purse to the opponent for missing weight by a pound or two (which is perceived to be an unfair advantage and a violation of the rules), shouldn't you have to reimburse your opponent for coming into the fight on PEDs?

We can argue about how much he should surrender, but it should be something - otherwise, he's just sitting out his suspension with millions of dirty dollars in the bank, while DC gets nothing.

Hell yes. UFC should also litigate him for loss of revenue and tarnishing the image of the brand.

The missing weight argument is a fair and just comparison. But in this instance, the notification of the failure of the test has come a few weeks after the event. Fight has been and done, money is distributed. Weigh-ins happen before the fight obviously so it is easy to penalise someone - just pay them less. It will be far harder for the UFC to claw back the money weeks later, especially given they are just a private company.

There's no fighting again in 4 years. He's popped multiple times, been disqualified for illegal blows, smokes crack unapologetically, committed outright crimes, embarrassed the sport, ruined multiple PPV's and been stripped of his last three titles. He never should've been allowed back in the first place.

This is a lifetime ban situation. I personally would give him the Lance Armstrong treatment and expunge his entire fucking record and do Cormier vs. Shogun for the title next.

His fighting career in UFC is over, I think, let him have the money. He'll need.

Of course Jon Jones is entitled to full due process (just like DC said in his statement). We don't want to jump the gun and assume he's guilty.

However, IF Jones B sample is tested & confirms steroid use, what does this mean? It could possibly mean he knew he couldn't beat DC clean, and decided to juice anyway and risk it. He might get popped, or his masking agents might work. Either way, he may have decided to go for a big payday and win, rather than fight clean and potentially lose.

In cases like this, shouldn't fighters be fined all of their show, win, and PPV cut money? Lesnar came into the UFC for a one-off fight, tested positive, and got a huge payday. I don't really think this should be possible. There should be some laws in the US that your pay as a pro athlete is contingent upon testing clean.

It's really a shame that Jones is going to walk away with 5-10 million dollars for this fight. That doesn't send a good message to young athletes. Basically once you're getting old and slowing down, it pays to start doping until you're caught.

The money should go to charity or the opponent.

Back