Do fans care if a fighter is clean or not?

blackjackz

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Serious question.

I can only answer for myself but I am absolutely stunned that so many fans seem to be annoyed with USADA or even the rules regarding PED's, and not the actual fighters.

So I guess it begs the question, do fans care if a fighters test positive for PEDS? Does it taint their record? accomplishments? Does it matter?

Discuss

personally don't care, and I think fighters on PEDs make the fights even more entertaining.

this isn't a serious sport when rankings aren't respected and fighters don't get title fights for merit. when we have meritocracy, we can be disgusted with fighters cheating to win. I can't honestly be bothered with it if michael bisping fights dan henderson for the MW belt.

Unless fighters are required to take PED's then yes the fans fucking care. We like even playing fields most of the time

since 95% of them are on it, I really don't care.

as long as they use it to make the fight entertaining and not stall to a decision.

Real Fans care. Fake fans like fake Jon Jonez'n don't care because they are fake and POS like Jon Jonez'n

Since it's illegal, yes... inheritely the "good guys" with morals lose because they have a higher stander for themselves.

On one hand, seeing some fighters from being the most entertaining ferocious fights and skilled makes me want steroids bad. If Jones, Anderson Silva, and Belfort were reigning havoc all on roids, then it's not really the barbaric drug we think steroids are. When they were potentially on the juice they were still very creative and intelligent with their fights. I wonder if we are going to see more less memorable matches and shorter careers if this sport stays clean.

However in a clean sport that you can guarantee it is the only ethical answer to this question. It's not fair if you can come in and mask your steroids because you have the money to and become a legend of the sport squashing the roster of fighters who can't afford the same chemist. Plus if we see these big names get knocked off there is real potential of truly having a clean sport. If we can move past this terrible phase of MMA, then watching fighters in the future accomplish feats will mean alot more. Something about knowing a person made it with no chemicals and just hard work is inspiring.

I honestly don't know what to make of this other than I hope we get to one side or the other before MMA gets looked at like baseball did. Steroids can destroy a sport.

Dirt bags dont care. I just wonder where they draw the line on illegal behavior or if they are posting from prison from taking "short cuts" in life.

As a massive JBJ fan I can say that you can only look the other way so many times. The partying and driving related convictions are bad, but not bad enough to detract from his abilities and accomplishments.

Pissing hot twice for Roids does. Unless it comes out that there is an error or GENUINELY credible reason ... his name is pretty much mud right now.

Wish it wasn't so, but it doesn't look great for him

Fans don't care Overeem Lesnar Anderson they are still some of the highest paid mma fighers in the ufc, pride which encouraged ped use is still spoken of fondly as the glory days of mma. Mainstream sports like Nfl give only a four game suspension for Ped usage, what people want to see is a spectacle and that is clearly better achieved through enhancements

As a massive JBJ fan I can say that you can only look the other way so many times. The partying and driving related convictions are bad, but not bad enough to detract from his abilities and accomplishments.

Pissing hot twice for Roids does. Unless it comes out that there is an error or GENUINELY credible reason ... his name is pretty much mud right now.

Wish it wasn't so, but it doesn't look great for him
I consider myself a big fan of both Jones and Cormier... and was really looking forward to this fight... and to be honest on fight night, I wasn't left disappointed. I think we saw two great fighters put it on the line and was looking forward to a more mature Jones finally establishing his legacy... but it is hard to ignore his history, and with this latest news, I guess I am just really disappointed.

I care if it's against the rules, absolutely. But, I have no problem with it in an organization where all fighters have the option to either juice or not, like Pride used to be.

i don't care. It's more entertaining when they're not gassed after 2 rounds.

I care if it's against the rules, absolutely. But, I have no problem with it in an organization where all fighters have the option to either juice or not, like Pride used to be.

In PRIDE they all took the same option, dont fool yourself.

yes.. 100% usada is good for the sport, maybe not in the short term for the UFC, but it will benefit them in the long run

steroids and TRT cause cancer and a million other health problems

Back