So shouldnt DC be LHW champion now?

GriffinLHWChamp

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Once Jones exhausts his appeals process shouldnt Cormier be reinstated as champion? Not sure weve ever seen this situation but as far as I can tell the fight would be a no conest and therefore I dont think its fair simply to just vacate the LHW title. I think a no contest essentially means nothing happened right?

Anyone know for sure how this would work?

The fight HAS to be declared a no contest.

After that, DC may either be reinstated, or given first crack at a vacated belt.

Nope

There are no rules to follow, Jones could get banned for life and the UFC have no obligation to strip him...Of course that would never happen.

It's the UFC's belt and they can do whatever they want with it.

Belt should be vacated. Gustafsson/Cormier should fight for the title. The LHW division is something of a wasteland at this point.

Nope

There are no rules to follow, Jones could get banned for life and the UFC have no obligation to strip him...Of course that would never happen.

USADA sanctions include wiping out the results of a fight (as in wiping out a win) meaning he would have never technically won the belt, and USADA sanctions are part of the operation of the UFC, so you're wrong, there actually are "rules to follow."

If we follow Barnett vs. Couture then the belt will be vacated and DC fights next contender. However, the Barnett steroid championship fight was never declared a no contest so perhaps there were different rules. DC will likely remain champ :)

I think after the stripping, DC should get the belt back, but whatever the process or rules are is another story.

DC needs to beat Gus or Volkan. A loss is a loss but he should definitely have a short path to the title.

Fight would be a no contest, as if it never happened so yeah DC never lost his title

USADA sanctions include wiping out the results of a fight (as in wiping out a win) meaning he would have never technically won the belt, and USADA sanctions are part of the operation of the UFC, so you're wrong, there actually are "rules to follow."
As I said the belt belongs to the UFC, they could give it to me or you if they wanted to just like they gave belts to Aldo and Ronda when they absorbed those divisions.

Jon's W can be taken away but stripping him of his UFC title is solely the UFC's decision.

I'm not saying what they will or won't do I'm just saying they don't HAVE TO do anything with regards to their belts.

Title belts are just a promotional tool.

No one gives a shit about DC with or without belt. Jones is the one many pay to watch on PPV.

The fight HAS to be declared a no contest.

After that, DC may either be reinstated, or given first crack at a vacated belt.

Technically it does not have to be declared a no-contest. That is completely up to the commission. Although it is extremely unlikely.

So if the fight never happened does that mean Daniel Cormier doesn't get his money? Because the fight will be treated as it never happened?
I know I'm just being silly but the UFC can do what absolutely anything it wants to.

How often does "The right thing" get done in the UFC?

Of course cause fight would be declared a No Contest and therefore DC would have never lost his title.

If we follow Barnett vs. Couture then the belt will be vacated and DC fights next contender. However, the Barnett steroid championship fight was never declared a no contest so perhaps there were different rules. DC will likely remain champ :)

Barnett/Couture is not a good example because, as you said, the rules were different back then and the fight was not declared a NC. With DC/Jones what would happen is the result would be overturned as if Cormier never lost.

So if the fight never happened does that mean Daniel Cormier doesn't get his money? Because the fight will be treated as it never happened?
I know I'm just being silly but the UFC can do what absolutely anything it wants to.

I mean, any organization can hypothetically break it's own clearly written rules, but my point is that they do have a protocol for how USADA tests affect the result of a fight where a fighter tested positive. What isn't so clearly stated is whether or not Cormier would remain champion, or if the belt would become vacant (which is fairly academic as Cormier will fight Gustafsson for the belt in his next fight, anyway). The belt becoming vacant would be consistent with how it tends to play out in boxing (although, as I said before, that's mostly academic as the fighter who loses usually gets an immediate shot at that vacant belt in their next fight).

Nope

The fight will be changed to a NC. After that Jones will be stripped. I don't think the UFC is required to strip him, but they are required to show the fight as a NC.

Yes. But jeez, what a way to reclaim the title.

The fight will be changed to a NC. After that Jones will be stripped. I don't think the UFC is required to strip him, but they are required to show the fight as a NC.
Jones wouldn't be stripped because Jones wouldn't have won the title.

Back