Do Mighty Mouse and Bisping prove that title defenses don't mean anything?

Ginn

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
@Green
Reaction score
MM is racking up a ton of defenses against nobodies. Refuses to move up in weight. Hell, he even refuses to fight a guy that comes down to his division.

Bisping defended his title against a 50 year old outside the top 10. And is now fighting another guy outside the 0 top that hasn't fought in years.

That thread is bad, and you should feel bad.

MM's defense streak is as legit as they come (Borg hasn't happened yet, that one's lame)

MM's defense streak is as legit as they come (Borg hasn't happened yet, that one's lame)
The two Dodson one's, Benavidez, Horiguchi, and Cejudo are all quality.

I stand by that Ray Borg will give a better fight then most expect.

You must be a Conor mcgregor fan .. how do I know . Well since he beat Aldo there's been this stupid narrative floating around sherdog that defending titles is meaningless ..

Demetrious Johnson is the greatest mma fighter of all time.

And stop with that Borg s**t. Borg is legit. And Johnson has never beaten him.
So, another feather in the cap of the greatest of all time.

lol at him not moving up... he beat everybody but Cruz at BW. lol.

No, they just prove that context matters more than just numbers.

Please. The Borg fight is a joke compared to a Dillashaw fight, and Johnson isn't even top 5 of all time.

There is a reason that so few fighters have been able to stay at the top and rack up multiple title defenses. Staying at the top and successfully defending against the top contenders repeatedly is not an easy accomplishment.

No.

This thread says alot about you though. None of it favourable.

There is a reason that so few fighters have been able to stay at the top and rack up multiple title defenses. Staying at the top and successfully defending against the top contenders repeatedly is not an easy accomplishment.

If you view title fights as coin flips every guy has a 25% chance of winning two in a row and a tenth of 1% chance of winning 10 in a row.

Yeah if Borg is another feather then Tj is a god damn bird.

MM can't really control the quality of opponents in his division and he's fought every single ranked fighter in his division they put against him. But yeah, he looked bad for not wanting to fight TJ.

Micheal Bisping is a pure ducker tho

You're an undercover McGregor dick rider TS, we caught you :)

Defending a title is way harder than winning a belt. Winning the belt is one single fight, and the champion you beat to win that belt isn't necessarily the hardest fight for you in that division (styles make fights). These days it's even more true in the UFC: undeserving guys keep getting title shots just because they can sell a fight. Conor got a title shit he didn't deserve in the LW division afaic. He passed over guys that were way bigger challenges for him than Alvarez stylistically

Defending the belt 8 times, 9 times, 10 times (what guys like MM, GSP, Silva, etc. did) means you'll fight many different opponents, with different styles. At some point, you'll have to fight guys that are bad matchups for you, and you'll have to find a way to win to keep that belt.

So yeah defending the belt means something: It's probably the hardest part of becoming and being a champion

MM is racking up a ton of defenses against nobodies. Refuses to move up in weight. Hell, he even refuses to fight a guy that comes down to his division.

Bisping defended his title against a 50 year old outside the top 10. And is now fighting another guy outside the 0 top that hasn't fought in years.
Of course title defenses mean something. But as with all fights, quality of wins > quantity of wins. The two guys with the most defenses, Johnson and Silva, both have few quality wins compared to GSP or Jones. And yeah, Bisping's defense against a non-top 10 fighter was a joke. Fun fight, but not meaningful as a title defense.

DJ was pretty dominant at BW. Ppl seem to forget that. He'd still be top 5 if he moved up.

Pickett?

You know its funny. Before the Flw division was created alot of the top 10 Flw's were top 10 BW's (or FW's in Reis's case) despite being undersized plus Dodson and Lineker are both top 10 BW's currently. But apparently all of a sudden they're nobodies

Of course title defenses mean something. But as with all fights, quality of wins > quantity of wins. The two guys with the most defenses, Johnson and Silva, both have few quality wins compared to GSP or Jones. And yeah, Bisping's defense against a non-top 10 fighter was a joke. Fun fight, but not meaningful as a title defense.

I agree that the average quality of opposition is lower, but I think the difference isn't as pronounced as most would argue it is.

I agree that the average quality of opposition is lower, but I think the difference isn't as pronounced as most would argue it is.
I'm mostly just steamed that I won't get to watch Dillashaw vs Johnson. Would have been my most anticipated flyweight fight since Johnson-Benavidez 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back