36-year-old Yusin Okami: I would never be fighting this old

Glad to have him back. Been watching since Super Brawl and Rumble on the Rock.

Hope he can get back to the top of the rankings.

I don't understand why the UFC wouldn't employ a guy like Okami in the first place? He has name recognition and is cheap. Yeah he mostly grapples, but half of all undercard fights are garbage anyways. I'd rather see a guy I know than Joe Herzberger or some other random dude who'll be gone in a few weeks.

Joe Herzburger is coming for that WW strap.

Kenny here,

When I was younger my mom and her friend took me to go watch cain vs jds at new years. After the even we saw Yushin Okami walking around the MGM by himself. My friends mom walked up to him and tries to start a conversation but he kept saying noodle noodle while smiling. We figured out that he was looking for the noodle restaurant in the MGM that was like 30 feet around the Corner. We walked with him and he met up with what seemed like his wife and daughter. I always thought it was weird that he was walking around by himself after a major event like that. They were really nice and smiling even though Okami lost. I wished I had known Japanese so I can talk to him and translate for my mom and her friend. I am always a Okami fan since then.

Lol. I dunno...

Dhiego Lima has a UFC record of 1-5, if you can believe thats possible.

Everyone but Okami stopped him. Three of them Lima was KO'd in the first round. Dhiego Lima is not a UFC caliber fighter, and this shouldn't indicate anything about Okami's place in the sport.

I'm a long, long time fan of Yushin and he shouldn't be anywhere near ranked fighters. He's going to get hurt and I'd rather not see it. I honestly don't understand why he doesn't finish out the golden years of his career in Japan or even Bellator where he can fight people at his current level.

Dhiego Lima is riding a three fight winning streak

286ca8f1c194ff0060379db11408d4d1.jpg

Props!

The Great Kabuki!

giphy.gif

I don't understand why the UFC wouldn't employ a guy like Okami in the first place? He has name recognition and is cheap. Yeah he mostly grapples, but half of all undercard fights are garbage anyways. I'd rather see a guy I know than Joe Herzberger or some other random dude who'll be gone in a few weeks.

It also allows for other fighters to have a springboard for there career if they get by him

I don't know why, but Joe Herzberger seems like the most MMA name I've ever heard. Like I could hear that name and guess he's an MMA fighter...

I've never understood why they cut cheap guys with name value for cheap guys with no name value. If I watch a guy fight 10 times and get to know him, I want to keep watching him fight. I understand you need new blood, but most of the time they aren't bringing in prospects, they are bringing in bums that'll themselves cut get after 2-4 fights.

Dana wanted to do this with Mark Hunt post Pride purchase. No, we don't want him. Why not? People know him and and want to watch him fight. Makes no sense to me.

There was a time the sherdog marks thought this guy was the one to beat Anderson Silva. Then they finally fought and he got tooled the fuck up.

I like Okami, and I'm going to be rooting for him, but man, I don't see this guy getting in title contention anymore

“Until this fight, I wasn’t really sure where I belonged,” “I have tried striking in my past fights, and it didn’t do too well,” Okami said. “So in terms of this fight, I decided I’m just going to do something I’m good at. And I wanted to show the fans that I’m here and that I’m pretty strong in this division.”

“To approach this fight, I was thinking that I could figure out where I belonged,” Okami said. “And I realized I was able to dominate the opponent, so I think I can do very well in this division. But I’m not young. I don’t want to take loo long to get there, so I want to try to fight a ranked fighter and get up to that ladder very quick to the title shot.”

“In terms of that fight against OSP, I consider it as God’s gift,” Okami said. “It would give me a chance to get back into the UFC. However, I’m a welterweight, so I consider this fight to be the real comeback fight in the octagon.”

“I actually thought I would never be fighting this old,” Okami said. “But I went through so many fights, I went through hardships, regret and also happiness. All these mixed feelings will give me motivation to keep on fighting and getting better.”

http://mmajunkie.com/2018/04/ufc-on...ting-career-mma/amp?__twitter_impression=true

He went on to lose his next 3 fights

lmfao

Dhiego Lima is riding a three fight winning streak

Lets add some context on those 3 wins:

- Chad Laprise 6-4, reasonable journeyman record
- Court McGee 7-8, losing UFC record, hasn't won two consecutive fights in a dog's life, should be cut years ago
- Luke Jumeau 2-2, fringe UFC caliber talent

Two of those wins were split decisions over guys that really don't belong fighting at this level.

Okami is a welterweight? Didn't he fight only at MW?

Okami at welterweights sounds fucking gigantic

Back