Fighter who have the most title fight losses

MMA__Analyst

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Uriah Faber- 7 title losses in WEC and UFC
Randy Couture- 6
Frankie edgar- 4 title fight losses

There should be a term for people like frankie Edgar, faber, and gustaffson who are high level fighters and deserve to be ranked near the top, but just can't hang with the top 3 of their division. They can give the best fighters in the division a VERY tough fight, but they always seem to fall short of being a champion. inb4 losers.

Kenny Florian has 3. Very underrated fighter was KenFlo. Shame he never won the big one

Gatekeepers
If they'd never won, I'd agree. But they all also won and defended belts.

To me a gatekeeper is a guy like Mike Bisping. He's good enough to beat anyone outside of the top ten handily, but top five guys destroy him and he'll never be champ.

It doesn´t feel that special to be honest. Even if it looks close there´s a difference between being completly pair to pair or someone having a slight edge. You can see that in other sports awell, in chess ratings, in computer games etc etc. That little advantage can just make you win over a person whos nearly as good EXCEPT if its a fluke or if they have a special thing that can take you out right away like a KO puncher will have amuch better chance than someone whos a decision maker and really good but just a sliiightly worse than the champ - then they´ll keep losing as they can´t get the edge. While a KO puncher will from time to time connect. Here im talking a close KO puncher.

Guy like rumble might have better chances vs Jon even if hes worse everywhere else and DC can make it closer or Gustafson etc. He rubmle might get dominated but he also from time to time can KO him, maybe.

Its not a big suprise for instance that frankie keeps losing to Aldo - maybe now he actually has a chance after aldo took more damage now but otherwise he´s just that slightly worse version but still relaly fooking good.

Again you´ll see this in many other sports, chess, and computer games too. Close but not quite.

Vitor Belfort, Dan Henderson.

About 4 each.

Frankie Edgar got a bad deal against Bendo, especially in the second fight.

Frankie Edgar got a bad deal against Bendo, especially in the second fight.
the first one was close but Benson won fairly. I don't know how the judges gave benson the decision in the second fight.

Frankie's a little different of a case. he was LW champ, defended the belt twice i believe. Lost it, prob won the rematch (lost a close decision). Then moved down to FW, and just couldn't ever seem to beat Aldo. Aldo just has his number.
Considering Frankie got screwed out the title fight vs Conor, that he was promised on live TV ... i'm fine with him getting 1 more against Max.
Faber really had 7?

rematch vs Brown.
Aldo
2 against cruz.
Barao (twice i think?)
who i'm missing?

If they'd never won, I'd agree. But they all also won and defended belts.

To me a gatekeeper is a guy like Mike Bisping. He's good enough to beat anyone outside of the top ten handily, but top five guys destroy him and he'll never be champ.
I still couldn't believe he beat Rockhold

urijah won 6 WEC championship fights, while also defending his KOTC bantamweight belt, proving that he was a bantamweight the whole time

he was out of his prime by the time he got to the UFC, but still consistently murked everyone who wasnt champ

hes massively underrated because most people only saw him after his prime

Randy Couture- 6

There should be a term for people like frankie Edgar, faber, and gustaffson who are high level fighters and deserve to be ranked near the top, but just can't hang with the top 3 of their division. They can give the best fighters in the division a VERY tough fight, but they always seem to fall short of being a champion. inb4 losers.

how can edgar and faber "always seem to fall short of being a champion" when they have been champion. fabers won more title fights than hes lost if you count KOTC which was legit for bantamweights at the time he was champ there

If you can't understand why Gus shouldn't be in the same category as Frankie, Randy and Faber then no one can help you.

Randy Couture- 6

Old lion Victor has 3 or 4

Back