Do you think being forced to drop to 265 negatively affects Struve?

RawHawg

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
He always looks like he is not filled out/somewhat underweight to me. He seems like the one guy who having to hit 265 at the weigh-in may be a real disadvantage at his height.

When he fought JDS he was 240 and now he cuts to make 265, but I don't think its too hard for him. He is super thin despite being a giant.

It certainly doesn't help and it's a stupid rule. HW should be unlimited, the HW champ should have to be the best in the world no exception.

I don't think it hurts him right now but it will so as he gets older. The 265lbs weight limit is a total joke, should have been rid off ages ago. Would allow some freak show fights in a stale decision and stop big fighters draining themselves

I don't think it hurts him right now but it will so as he gets older. The 265lbs weight limit is a total joke, should have been rid off ages ago. Would allow some freak show fights in a stale decision and stop big fighters draining themselves

It saves Mark Hunt from himself though. :(

Nope.. for the most part he was under the limit. In recent times he has to cut but nothing extreme for a HW, so 15-20 lbs won't be that bad.. it's the cut of a LW to put things into perspective only % wise for him it ain't that extreme.

No. His physique is near perfect for a fighter.

Think Condit, Wonderboy, McGregor, etc etc...

Guys who look like Yoel, Overeem V1, Brock, have to overcome the issues associated with greater mass.

No. His physique is near perfect for a fighter.

Think Condit, Wonderboy, McGregor, etc etc...

Guys who look like Yoel, Overeem V1, Brock, have to overcome the issues associated with greater mass.
Conor is pretty stocky, he's 5'9" and probably weighs in the 170s with very little body fat.

Yes. It means he can't put on more muscle mass, which if he could would be very advantageous for his frame.

Yes, Struve's optimal weight for fighting is almost certainly above 265 pounds. Another one is Bigfoot Silva, he was a monster back when he didn't have to cut.

The weight limit on the HW division should be removed.

Look at Semmy Schilt's career. His optimal weight was just south of 300lbs. With guys that tall fighting at HW, some extra mass makes a huge difference.

I think it would be better for him of they would get rid of the 265 limit.

He could gain some more mass (and with it strength) and wouldn't have to cut weight.

Stefan Struve could be Semmy Schilt 2.0.

Ya I agree there should be no limit I'm surprised UFC hasn't done that yet

Hes not forced to cut to 265. If he cant cut to 265,go to japan or play basketball for a living.

Struve only recently bulked up to the HW limit (UFC 190 against Big Nog) and has looked great in his last few fights, so the extra weight may be beneficial. I don't think he cuts enough to be negatively affected by having to make 265. The only guy I've thought really seemed hurt by it was Bigfoot, who's beyond a lost cause at this point (got wrecked by Minakov while weighing 280).

While I doubt staying below the limit hurts him too much, he is one of the few guys that the limit would legitimatly keep from putting on a lot of muscle naturally and still be able to safely make the cut.

Conor is pretty stocky, he's 5'9" and probably weighs in the 170s with very little body fat.
That's not stocky, which I take to mean some combination of muscle and fat. Conor is tall and lean for his division(s). He always had a height advantage at FW and should at LW too.

Back