Edgar or Mendes

fedoriswar37

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Simple question, aside from the fact that Frankie KOD him, who's the better featherweight ? Mendes record at FW is great but Frankie has certainly beaten much better competition in his short run ( Mendes got his 2nd title shot off beating Cody Mckenzie Clay Guida and Nik Lentz) .

Frankie Edgar obviously. Better wins, less losses with both losses being to the same guy, and like you said he KO'd Mendes stiff. Also Frankie never got beaten by USADA.

I believe peak version of Mendes (between first and second Aldo fight) was better than Edgar's peak.

But overall you gotta go with Edgar. Better wins, more consistency, longer prime

How is this even a question?

Edgar, no question. That said, I think the best version of Mendes would beat the best version of Edgar at featherweight.

The juiced Mendes that fought Aldo the second time would beat a peak Edgar:

Frankie Edgar obviously. Better wins, less losses with both losses being to the same guy, and like you said he KO'd Mendes stiff. Also Frankie never got beaten by USADA.

Nothing to argue here

Two previous posters got it right. Edgar has the better body of work, but Mendes was an absolute terror between the first and second Aldo fights, and that version of Mendes would be a tough nights work for Frankie.

I think Aldo-Mendes II took a lot from both of their careers. It was a straight up war.

Agree with a lot of what everybody says. The mendes that fought Aldo the 2nd time was a scarey dude . Had the cardio to go 5 rounds at a pretty crazy pace (might've been juiced to the gills too ) . Question was more along the lines of who the more accomplished fw was .

I believe peak version of Mendes (between first and second Aldo fight) was better than Edgar's peak.

But overall you gotta go with Edgar. Better wins, more consistency, longer prime
Just to play devils advocate , the guy between the 1st and 2nd Aldo fights didn't really fight anybody great.

Lol at any version of Chad beating Frankie.
Frankie's boxing and wrestling are definitely better and more importantly Frankie mixes those 2 things together beautifully while Chad does not.

Frankie also has better cardio and chin.

I'm not understanding the underestimating of Frankie lately.
It was just yesterday there was a poster saying Eddie would beat Frankie because he's bigger.

Lol at any version of Chad beating Frankie.
Frankie's boxing and wrestling are definitely better and more importantly Frankie mixes those 2 things together beautifully while Chad does not.

Frankie also has better cardio and chin.

I'm not understanding the underestimating of Frankie lately.
It was just yesterday there was a poster saying Eddie would beat Frankie because he's bigger.
Frankie doesn't leave his chin wide open up in the air so no Frankie would not lose to Eddie . Frankie will always be criminally underrated Ive accepted it

Mendes is scarier to fight (I'd assume) but Edgar is the better fighter.

Just to play devils advocate , the guy between the 1st and 2nd Aldo fights didn't really fight anybody great.

What I meant was pretty much the second Aldo fight, thats where he peaked at.

You have got to be trolling right? Peak Mendes vs short notice Edgar and Frankie still kills him.
If you put the head to head fight aside then you next look at common opponents.

Jose Aldo
Frankie has 9 fights at FW with his only losses being competitive decisions to Jose Aldo. Chads last 10 fights he also has 2 losses to Aldo, once being KO'd in the first round and the second a unanimous decision.

Cub Swanson
The only other common opponent is Cub Swanson although for Chad that was outside of the similar range of fights. Chad beat Cub by UD while Frankie submitted him with a neck crank.

3 Best Wins
Frankie
Jeremy Stephens
Chad Mendes
Cub Swanson

Chad
Clay Guida
Darren Elkins
Ricardo Lamas

Frankie won head to head. Frankie wins in comparing performance vs Aldo with 2 UD losses vs a KO loss and a UD loss. Frankie subbed Cub and Mendes beat him by UD. Mendes is on Frankies top 3 best wins so Frankie wins that too. Jose Aldo i s a level above Frankie, Frankie is a level above Mendes and Mendes is a level above every other UFC FW excluding Max Holloway. The most exciting thing is that neither Frankie of Chad have fought Max as of yet and those would be exciting fights.

Wow this is a dumbass thread no offense. FRANKIE STIFFED HIM. He's a former champ. Dumb thread.

Edgar via not being a proven PED cheat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back