"I have no interest in fighting Nunes. We're two Brazilians." - Cyborg

Defanged

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"I have no interest in fighting her,” Cyborg said during a media day in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. "We’re two Brazilians, and that would ‘kill' one Brazilian. Why kill one if we’re representing the same country? It’s us against the world."

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/8/...d-fight-with-fellow-ufc-champion-amanda-nunes

Brazilians really love each other, great. Guess what - you're a paid professional fighter, deal with it.

If Amanda's record was 8-6, I have a feeling Cyborg would put aside nationality and pursue a fight with her.

Cyborg only beats bloated natural 125ers like Evinger, im not surprised

If Amanda's record was 8-6, I have a feeling Cyborg would put aside nationality and pursue a fight with her.
and what would it take to get Amanda to accept the fight shes already been ducking? oh sorry...I'll clarify, not Shevchenko...

I guess this at least gives Amanda an excuse why all of a sudden she doesnt want to be a two division champion

edit: to be fair...what Cyborg is saying is dumb.....but what you said was dumber....

Last edited:
But what if Amanda was a slow volume striker who has fought at FLW and controversially decisioned Rin Nakai, surely she would pursue more worthy challengers right? Or if Amanda was 9-1 but with no wins over opponents with winning records at the time... :D

I thought she was Murican now.
Lives in USA
Works in USA
has murican citizenship
american boyfriend

Last edited:
Cyborg would look better not saying anything as Nunes would never fight her anyway

edit: to be fair...what Cyborg is saying is dumb.....but what you said was dumber....

Nunes already fought and beat Schevhenko and is still scheduled to fight her.

It's 'dumb' to think that Cyborg would rather fight a lesser opponent? Her entire resume must be pretty 'dumb', then, because that's 99% of it.

Imagine the shit storm if an American champ said he/she wouldn't fight Americans.

Both abandoned Brazil
Get to fuck with the patriotism

Nunes already fought and beat Schevhenko and is still scheduled to fight her.

It's 'dumb' to think that Cyborg would rather fight a lesser opponent? Her entire resume must be pretty 'dumb', then, because that's 99% of it.
well since you need it spelled out for you....

its pretty dumb to assume you know that Cyborg would rather fight a lesser opponent, if we're going to throw out random assumptions I would say the safe bet is that she wants fights that will get her the most money.....

which opponent in that division would you not consider "lesser" for Cyborg to fight? which not lesser fighter has she ducked? youre ripping on her for something thats entirely out of her control and yeah...thats pretty dumb

The Brazilians not fighting each other thing is still a thing??

I honestly can't remember the last time she fought one, though.

Either way.. Dumb.

its pretty dumb to assume you know that Cyborg would rather fight a lesser opponent, if we're going to throw out random assumptions I would say the safe bet is that she wants fights that will get her the most money.....

There's nothing dumb about it. She has a history of fighting lesser competition. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that hasn't changed in between now and her fight with Toughman contestant Tonya Evinger. If she wanted the most money, she would've lost the steroid muscle, got down to 135, and fought Ronda Rousey, like she was hired to do. If she wanted the most money, she'd be campaigning for a super fight with Amanda Nunes, not giving excuses for why she wants to avoid it.

which opponent in that division would you not consider "lesser" for Cyborg to fight? which not lesser fighter has she ducked? youre ripping on her for something thats entirely out of her control and yeah...thats pretty dumb

'in that division' Are you forgetting the fact that a great deal of her opponents were handpicked from the lower weight-classes? Obviously she isn't limited to just 145 opponents. Lina Lansberg is a lesser opponent. Tonya Evinger is a lesser opponent. Leslie Smith is a lesser opponent. Cat Zingano is a better fighter than all three and Cyborg wanted nothing to do with her. She instead wanted the inexperienced Megan Anderson, who wasn't even good enough to beat Cindy Dandois.

'...thats pretty dumb'

No, saying that Amanda Nunes is ducking somebody she already beat (and is still scheduled to fight) is dumb.

Last edited:
It's a good thing fellow American fighters share the same nationalism and never fight each other.
<{vega}>

giphy.gif

I've always had respect for her willingness to fight anyone. I guess that respect was misplaced.

There's no difference between her not willing to fight Nunes and say GDR not willing to fight her. As was said, imagine if an American fighter refused to fight another American. That is as bad an excuse as any GDR or Rousey used to not fight Cyborg.

Cyborg has shown she's just as willing to avoid certain fights as the fighters she's criticized. Disappointing.

She should move to the country she is representing

Back