Fighters buying into their own hype

abrasion

Ancient one
@purple
Reaction score
Can you think of any occurences of this issue becoming a detriment to a fighter? To me, at least, it brings bj to mind. Of course i have no proof, but think about it a bit. The biggest knock on him was always that he didn't work hard enough/wasn't motivated. And his nickname was the prodigy. Could it be that he thought of himself so naturally gifted that he didn't have to work at it? That he took all the praise and adoration heaped upon him at face value? I wonder. What are your thoughts, and can you think of any instances at all where this kind of mindset may have become an issue for a fighter?

Ronda going on PTI in 2015 and joking that the odds of the Cubs winning the World Series were about the same as the odds of her losing a fight.

I mean, she wasn't wrong...

Ronda, Ronda, Ronda.

Remember when she was the female to beat Floyd?

Remember when she was "once in a life time" "The best" according to Joe Hyperbole

Remember when she was going to take over Hollywood as well and complaining that she should have the role of wonder women?

I think Jones and Spider deserve a mention. Jones admitted not training seriously for fights and partying, because of his aura of invincibility; it nearly cost him dearly. Spider was already on the decline when he faced Weidman, but that clowning around with his hands down was more than mind games - it was his inflated sense of self, his hubris, his tragic flaw.

Once upon a time, Jamie Varner.

Modern and greater version, as posted above, has to be Ronda, although she might have another run in her. Her greatness was not entirely fake.

giphy-downsized-large.gif
ImperfectDizzyEyas-size_restricted.gif

I think Jones and Spider deserve a mention. Jones admitted not training seriously for fights and partying, because of his aura of invincibility; it nearly cost him dearly. Spider was already on the decline when he faced Weidman, but that clowning around with his hands down was more than mind games - it was his inflated sense of self, his hubris, his tragic flaw.

You'll think he would learn. Still did it against bisping and got dropped...

McGregor before Diaz, Silva up to date, Weidman since he was 5 y/o.

But they all have to give it up to the once-in-a-lifetime derailed hype train. Rousey. All the way, Rousey.

Korean Zombie after the first Leonard Garcia fight. The Roop KO set him straight

Back