WOW NFL and NBA players are more explosive, than Jones. Most NBA have longer reach to!

Seaside

Caudillo
Banned
Reaction score
I did not know this. Someone mentioned it so I got to gooling the reach/wingspan of NBA players. Holy crap. And what I mean by reach= wingspan. Jon Jones doesn't really have 42inch long arms.

Jason Maxiell, 6'ft 6 inches tall, 260lbs, with an 87 inch reach.
Dwight Howard, 6ft" 10 inches tall, 265lbs with 89 inch reach
Bismack Biyombo, 6ft", 8 inches tall, 255lbs, with 90 inch reach
Tayshuan prince, 6ft" 9 inches tall, with 86 inch reach
Jerry west, 6ft" 2 inches tall, with 81 inch reach
Kevin Durant, 6ft", 10 inches tall, 240lbs, with 89 inch reach
Anthony Davis, 6ft, 10 inches tall, with 91 inch reach
Elton brand, 6'ft 8 inches tall, 89 inch reach
kawahi leonard, 6ft' 7 inches tall, 87 inch reach.
Scottie pippen, 6ft, 8 inches tall, 87 inch reach
Alonzo mourning, 6ft, 9 inches tall, 90 inch reach
Wilt chamberlin, 7ft 1 inches tall, 92 inch reach according to smallest record, and 96 according to largest.
Rajon Rondo, 6ft 1 inches tall, 81 inch reach
Kevin Mchale, 6ft 10 inches tall, 96 inch reach
Manute bol, 7ft, 7 inches tall, 102 inch reach

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...day-measurements-highlights-and-top-prospects

most of these guys are more athletic than Jon Jones, more explosive, can dunk a basketball, and have similar height and equivalent or longer reach.

Does MMA lack top LHW or HW talent? It seems like all the true freak athlete big guys are very rare while at the lower weight classes we got super athletic guys like GSP and all the back flips and stuff he could do. Meanwhile HW, is filled with the likes of Derick Lewis, Cain, Werdum, etc..

Rob Gronkowski is 6'6ft, with 89.5 inch reach, and weighs 265lbs and is explosive as heck.

Lol basketball players aren't tough guys though.

Where do you guys keep getting this crap idea from.

None of that means they can fight in any sense

Jon isn't the most athletically accredited mma fighter. Didn't have an amazing amateur wrestling career, can't even dunk a basketball. In terms of credentials and general athleticism, he's vastly inferior to Romero, Lesnar, GSP, Cormier, Cejudo, Randleman, Coleman, etc, etc. But he's a genius when it comes to MMA, that's what makes him so good, and considering this is MMA, that's all that really matters.

The biggest, most athletic guy usually isn't even the best player in his own sport.

The toughest guys aren't always the best fighters either.

Fighting is so complex you A level athlete dick riders have no idea. It's about as dumb as saying someone can kick ass based on how much they bench.

Just because one tall guy with freakishly long arms is great at fighting doesn't mean all of them are.

Or else every 5'11 230 lb chubby Russian who looks like a plumber is also a potential GOAT tier fighter.

I am an MMA fan first but I am also realistic about the talent outside of the sport. Is any one here going to seriously contest that freak athletes like 6'6 265 lb Robb Gronkowski and 6'8 250lb Lebron James wouldn't be top 3 HWs if the trained for MMA at a young age? Those are just two examples, there are dozens more.

As for toughness of basketball players remember sometimes it pays to 'flop' and fake an injury (one of the reasons i cant consistantly watch the sport). That does not mean they are any less tough than MMA fighters. Remember even very good MMA fighters have played up injuries, Koshcheck and the knee that never landed, Jones on an upkick that barely fazed him until he realized it wasnt legal, etc.

The bottom line is that if the athletes in football and basketball fought in MMA from a young age they would dominate every single division from MW and up. You would have to be blind not to see that.

Lol the worst A-level athlete absolutely mauls anyone in the UFC. Everyone already knows this

I am an MMA fan first but I am also realistic about the talent outside of the sport. Is any one here going to seriously contest that freak athletes like 6'6 265 lb Robb Gronkowski and 6'8 250lb Lebron James wouldn't be top 3 HWs if the trained for MMA at a young age? Those are just two examples, there are dozens more.

As for toughness of basketball players remember sometimes it pays to 'flop' and fake an injury (one of the reasons i cant consistantly watch the sport). That does not mean they are any less tough than MMA fighters. Remember even very good MMA fighters have played up injuries, Koshcheck and the knee that never landed, Jones on an upkick that barely fazed him until he realized it wasnt legal, etc.

The bottom line is that if the athletes in football and basketball fought in MMA from a young age they would dominate every single division from MW and up. You would have to be blind not to see that.
No, you would have to spend some time in a gym to realize that size and athleticism does not equate to fighting ability or toughness.

None of that matters in prize fighting.

The best fighter is the guy who can take a shot and persevere, who has a warrior spirit / heart.

Most of those 'A level' athletes would not last a minute against the top MMA fighters, despite their statistics.

This thread hasn't been done a thousand times already.

None of that matters in prize fighting.

The best fighter is the guy who can take a shot and persevere, who has a warrior spirit / heart.

Most of those 'A level' athletes would not last a minute against the top MMA fighters, despite their statistics.
Loling hard at this

Here's Klay Thompson taking a flying knee that would've literally killed the entire UFC roster at once

arizakneeklay.gif

And Thompson insisted on staying in the game afterwards even as he was gushing blood from his ear

klaybleedingear.gif

As far as combat sports go:

NFL > NBA > NHL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UFC

Manute Bol has a longer reach than Jon Jones?
Didn't see that coming

We should probably stop watching MMA and compare fighters sizes and our personal opinion on their athletic abilities to determine who the best fighters are.

No need for them to step into the octagon as apparently "bigger" equals "better".

Best fighters in the world in order.

1. NFL players
2. NBA players
3. MLB players
4. Navy Seals
5. Boxers
6. Soccer players
7. Movie star martial artists like Jet Li
8. UFC fighters
9. Runners
10. Cyclists

Edit: forgot NHL players. They would probably go at number 4 and everyone else moves down.

Back