Valentina Shevchenko's beautiful counters vs Holly Holm

Frozen Sea

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Threw together a montage of the counter striking clinic Shevchenko put on Holm. This was an absolute masterpiece on Shevchenko's part. Do you guys think she's the best striker in wmma? I think she is no doubt the Future WMMA GOAT.

Do you guys think she's the best striker in wmma? I think she is no doubt the Future WMMA GOAT.
She may be the best "technical" striker in WMMA but Nunes stalemated if not edged her out on the feet until she gassed in their fight and Nunes has much more power and finishing ability, in terms of "effective" striking I would not put Nunes below her. Also Cyborg and GDR might compare similiarly to Shevchenko although GDR has the grappling weakness that makes her worse overall.

I wouldn't say she's necessarily the future GOAT either, Pena was highly competitive with her before she got subbed so McMann, Zingano, or a returned Tate or even Ronda could give Shev problems.

Valentina is one of the few legit WMMA strikers.

She was so ready for that fight against Nunes and would have finished her.

To be honest I haven't seen any of her fights. Thanks for putting together that clip. She has great counter punching wow.
raw

She may be the best "technical" striker in WMMA but Nunes stalemated if not edged her out on the feet until she gassed in their fight and Nunes has much more power and finishing ability, in terms of "effective" striking I would not put Nunes below her. Also Cyborg and GDR might compare similiarly to Shevchenko although GDR has the grappling weakness that makes her worse overall.

I wouldn't say she's necessarily the future GOAT either, Pena was highly competitive with her before she got subbed so McMann, Zingano, or a returned Tate or even Ronda could give Shev problems.
I think Shevchenko was outclassing Nunes on the feet considering how hesitant Nunes was and the fact Nunes was constantly looking for the takedowns/trips. The sole reason Shevchenko lost was due to her inability to stop the takedowns and get back up. We have seen her improvement a lot in the grappling area from her last fight against Pena (a superior grappler).

I think this time Nunes struggles to take her down AND keep her down. I got Shevchenko by easy UD or TKO in the 4th/5th Rounds.

Round six should have been a dance battle...

giphy.gif

CandidPlaintiveFox.gif

Every time I see highlights of this fight it reminds me that Valentina has no business fighting at 135. Holly looks another weight class bigger.

Shevchenko = lb for lb best female fighter.

Takes on women bigger than her all the time.

Joanna J = fights womanlets and survives half the time

It is funny seeing Holly, a supposed threat on the feet and deadly striker, be so hesitant with Shevchenko, who can actually box better than her. Holm has bad fundamentals and never got taught real boxing, only this mma boxing that works against subpar opponents - like the fighters she won against. Holm is so predicrable and doesn't know how to adapt to good strikers.. she tried nothing new, only the stupid flashy kicks.

Amanda has all physical tools to win this fight. The only problem i see on her side is:
mental strenght

PS. I think Valentina bulked up a "little bit"

She looks as big as Nunes

Wish she would have added a dimension to that check hook but yes she has a good right hand.

Low kicks are so under used

Use low kicks damn!!!

It is funny seeing Holly, a supposed threat on the feet and deadly striker, be so hesitant with Shevchenko, who can actually box better than her. Holm has bad fundamentals and never got taught real boxing, only this mma boxing that works against subpar opponents - like the fighters she won against. Holm is so predicrable and doesn't know how to adapt to good strikers.. she tried nothing new, only the stupid flashy kicks.
Holly was a professional boxer with a record of 33-2-3. I thnk she can box a little bro.
th

She really exposed holmes in this fight. Hawley is at her best when she's counterstriking and in this fight she was forced to be the aggressive more often than she would like. Clearly, she was not in her element and shevchenko exploited that fact brilliantly.

Yeah I thought it was kinda embarrassing for Holm.

Back