Former UFC fighter Tae Hyun Bang indicted for trying to fix UFC fight

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Meltzers newsletter:

Former UFC fighter Tae Hyun Bang was indicted for allegedly taking a bribe in a fight that he, in fact, won, over Leo Kuntz on a UFC show in Seoul, South Korea on 11/28. This story had come out some time back, as Bang had agreed to throw the fight, then the odds changed big in the days before the fight and there was tremendous suspicion of it being fixed. UFC officials essentially scared Bang straight, as he went out to win the fight, and did. Several people were indicted besides Bang, as well as others alleged to be involved with the fix, including Date Won Kim, another MMA fighter. Bang received $87,000 to fix a fight, and then bet $43,000 of that on Kuntz. After being warned by UFC officials, he went out to win what ended up being a hell of a fight, costing himself the $43,000 he’d bet on his opponent. The allegation is that organized crime figures in South Korea had bet $1.7 million on Kuntz to win, which is why the odds shifted so greatly. But Bang won a close fight via split decision. The UFC told both fighters before the fight, that if it looks like either were not trying to win, they would be investigating the situation. At the time, Bang denied knowing anything about a fix

-

Korean Press
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170814000556

South Korean prosecutors said Monday they have indicted a mixed martial arts fighter for his involvement in a match-fixing scam.

Bang Tae-hyun has been accused of taking a bribe of 100 million won ($87,950) from match-fixing brokers in exchange for throwing a bout at the Ultimate Fighting Championship event in South Korea in 2015. He will face a trial without detention.

According to the Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office, Bang agreed to lose the contest against Leo Kuntz at UFC Fight Night 79 in Seoul. The scam, however, didn't succeed as the lightweight fighter apparently changed his mind at the last moment and went on to beat Kuntz with a split decision.

Bang reportedly decided not to throw the match after UFC officials warned him about fight fixing following a sudden shift in betting patterns on gambling websites. The 34-year-old was first listed as the slight favorite against Kuntz, but just hours before the fight the UFC officials caught drastic changes in odds that made him the underdog and his American opponent the overwhelming favorite.

Bang is no longer with the UFC, the world's largest MMA promotion. After the UFC event in Seoul, Bang fought once more in Germany at the UFC Fight Night 93, where he lost to Nick Hein by unanimous decision.

Bang was the seventh South Korean to enter the Octagon after he signed with the UFC in late 2013.

The prosecutors also indicted fight-fixing brokers and those who helped them, adding that one of them was former MMA fighter Kim Dae-won.

Kim, who previously completed in Japan-based MMA promotions like DEEP and Pride, told his acquaintances that he can fix the UFC bout by persuading Bang and later consulted with the brokers for fixing, according to the prosecutors.

Good on UFC for getting involved
Surprised this is not much bigger news

OFFICIAL: Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock will compete in UFC 1.

Willing to bet 1.7m that bang will be found dead soon, likely hanged.

He wound up doing the right thing too

I'm very surprised this is not much bigger news.
Maybe I'm crazy but it should be IMO

It's crazy because it's been making the rounds on and off for about a year, with the investigation and what not, but it never gets any traction her on sherdog. And I think outside of articles that get buried on news sites, I think I've only heard Luke Thomas talk about it

dude gets a bribe to throw the fight.

dude takes half the money up front.

dude should have lost that fight, but the shitty judges scored it for him.(this is were trouble begins)

dude gets death threats for not diving.(even though he should have lost)

dude tells the police because he has no other choice

this is what happened right?????

It's crazy because it's been making the rounds on and off for about a year, with the investigation and what not, but it never gets any traction her on sherdog. And I think outside of articles that get buried on news sites, I think I've only heard Luke Thomas talk about it

I searched it on SD & did not find his name & saw very few articles on it after seeing it in Meltz newsleter
You would think a board like this would discuss it

I searched it on SD & did not find his name & saw very few articles on it after seeing it in Meltz newsleter
You would think a board like this would discuss it

I think we've seen these news first in April.
It's always something like " a Korean fighter tries to fix his fight" though.

dude gets a bribe to throw the fight.

dude takes half the money up front.

dude should have lost that fight, but the shitty judges scored it for him.(this is were trouble begins)

dude gets death threats for not diving.(even though he should have lost)

dude tells the police because he has no other choice

this is what happened right?????

I think most scored it for Bang

upload_2017-8-17_14-20-39.png

I "might" have heard that, but never knew it was UFC
Plus he was just indicted so now it is a real story as far as being found guilty

@sonhow SD is interesting
A brother of a fighter sells drugs & it gets play on the board, but a UFC fighter takes money to fix a fight & gives up the mobsters that were behind it & nothing
lol

@sonhow SD is interesting
A brother of a fighter sells drugs & it gets play on the board, but a UFC fighter takes money to fix a fight & gives up the mobsters that were behind it & nothing
lol

SD sure has it's traits lol.
I think it depends on the people involved within the story. Not sure if they find Bang or Kuntz "interesting" enough. More of the mma "Journalists" should do a better job covering the story and talking about it as well though.

SD sure has it's traits lol.
I think it depends on the people involved within the story. Not sure if they find Bang or Kuntz "interesting" enough. More of the mma "Journalists" should do a better job covering the story and talking about it as well though.

That is why I googled immediately after reading it in Meltzers newsletter.
I was like "how did I miss this?"

That is why I googled immediately after reading it in Meltzers newsletter.
I was like "how did I miss this?"

And it's not like this year has been overfilled with stories either other than a certain boxing match. Seems like lazy stuff to me.

I think most scored it for Bang

View attachment 263455
i remembered people bitching about that one. either way, what an idiot for not shooting a shitty takedown and getting subbed

And it's not like this year has been overfilled with stories either other than a certain boxing match. Seems like lazy stuff to me.

I will just go with this past week since the indictment.
Now it is a real story with a definitive verdict.
Where is Ariel on this?
Nowhere bc it is not TMZ juicy enough

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back