**Why Frank Mir is one of my Favorites**

Reign009

Not sure if serious.
Reaction score
When Frank Mir came onto the scene, he was the "new breed" of heavyweights. An aggressive style of BJJ at HW was rare at the time. He was the "new breed" yet, old school because instead of being a brawler, he had a traditional approach to martial arts. He was young, talented, and full of promise.

After winning the title from the undefeated HW champion: Tim Sylvia(who at the time was a very scary dude), he was in a terrible motorcycle accident. It's a miracle that he was even able to survive, let alone fight again.

When he returned, his problems were not over yet. He came back in terrible shape and had developed an addiction to pain killers and a bad drinking habit. He looked terrible. People thought that despite coming back from the accident, that he would never be the same fighter again. They thought he was done. One can only imagine the mental demons that he had to face.

His come back was miraculous. The battles he won outside of the cage were even bigger than those he won inside. He was one of the staples of the HW division for a long time.

He's been up and down in his career but he had true, unexpected longevity. He continued to evolve through the years and through new crops of MMA fighters and was able to stay relevant for a long time.

mirsylvia.gif~c200

<mma4>

He's working on the intricacies of Bellator that WME-IMG doesn't even know the names of

After seeing Vera destroy Mir, if you had told me Mir would go on to beat Nog 2x and become champ again I'd have laughed in your face.

I think Carwin did CTE-level damage to Mir though.

He's one guy I would never bet against. There were so many times that I thought he was done, only to come back and win. Or get knocked the fuck out. He's earned his legend status and cemented his legacy on the sport.

WAR FRANK FUCKING MIR!!!

UFCFightNight61-AntonioSilva-FrankMir-04-Clapping-sg.gif

Found another cool video. It talks more about the accident and the addiction in depth.

After seeing Vera destroy Mir, if you had told me Mir would go on to beat Nog 2x and become champ again I'd have laughed in your face.

I think Carwin did CTE-level damage to Mir though.

Dan Miragliotta is such a goof... That shit was brutal.

sucks we never got to see him vs brock III

I love Mir, but kinda disappoints me he let his physique turn to trash. Wish he'd step his diet and training up

When Frank Mir came onto the scene, he was the "new breed" of heavyweights. An aggressive style of BJJ at HW was rare at the time. He was the "new breed" yet, old school because instead of being a brawler, he had a traditional approach to martial arts. He was young, talented, and full of promise.

After winning the title from the undefeated HW champion: Tim Sylvia(who at the time was a very scary dude), he was in a terrible motorcycle accident. It's a miracle that he was even able to survive, let alone fight again.

When he returned, his problems were not over yet. He came back in terrible shape and had developed an addiction to pain killers and a bad drinking habit. He looked terrible. People thought that despite coming back from the accident, that he would never be the same fighter again. They thought he was done. One can only imagine the mental demons that he had to face.

His come back was miraculous. The battles he won outside of the cage were even bigger than those he won inside. He was one of the staples of the HW division for a long time.

He's been up and down in his career but he had true, unexpected longevity. He continued to evolve through the years and through new crops of MMA fighters and was able to stay relevant for a long time.

<{Joewithit}>

I remember him coming back in awful shape, watching him get beat up by Vera, ect... it was sad... and then a pretty much miraculous comeback. Awesome fighter/legend, awesome story..

Submission over position. Nevermind all the intangible and out of cage stuff. He'll always be one of my favorites because he came to take a limb home.

i can't be a mir's fan...he won cc and big nog x 2, and he pretends to win this mas <Fedor23> And Pride never dies<CroCop1>

Back