Has DC hurt his legacy more than Jones?

binny

I'll beat your ass if you jump on my couch.
@Brown
Reaction score
You would think that getting beat twice by Jon Jones is the reason that Daniel Cormier is considered 2nd best in the UFC, and you would mostly be right. I can't help but feel like DC has perpetuated the problem beyond anything it ever would have been. Putting Jones on that pedestal and publicly declaring him the greatest and his only goal, it left him at such a great deficit in the eyes of fans when he failed. If the guy had argued his career more and played down Jones' career and skills, it wouldn't have hurt his reputation in the same way. It's not that difficult to angle either. DC won the most stacked heavyweight tournament ever, beating opponents with big size and experience advantages. He went undefeated in two of the all time biggest organizations in that weight class with wins over two former UFC heavyweight champions. He has beaten fighters who have held major world titles at welterweight, middleweight, light heavyweight, heavyweight, and openweight. He is the only man to beat, let alone finish twice, Rumble reincarnate. Andre Arlovski couldn't even do in this the middle of his career resurgence from 2011-2015. He beat Alexander Gustafsson more decisively than Jones did. He was more accomplished in their similar background of wrestling by a long shot. He was on the right path calling Jones out for his out-of-competition problems, but there was so much more he could have said.
I AM NOT SAYING DC HAS DONE BETTER THAN JONES. I am also not saying that it would have been the high road, but the dude basically beta'd himself the fuck up, you might say it was his bread and beta. Matt Hughes lost to Dennis Hallman twice. Josh Barnett lost to Cro Cop three times. BJ Penn lost to Frankie Edgar 3 times. Chuck Liddell got finished twice by Rampage Jackson. Dan Henderson is 1-2 against Vitor Belfort. All of the losers in those head-to-head matchups are either considered better than their foes or at least still have plenty of people arguing that they are better. This is because they went on to accomplish OTHER THINGS than their opponents did (or already had). It is also because they didn't go around saying that they weren't as good as guys who beat them. In word and in action, they didn't make their careers about their losses. DC could have saved so much face if he had a different tune. He could still save face if he changes his tune. I hope he fights some more heavyweights, even if he doesn't permanently go back. I hope he considers competing in Metamoris or ADCC. Calling out middleweights to fight him at Franklinweight would be acceptable to me. I just really hope he lets the Jones thing alone. There is so much left to do.

Holy Giant Paragraph Batman

reading-ikea-intructions-big-lebowski-confused.gif

yeah, i generally agree. i think he really thought he was going to beat jones, and elevating him would elevate himself as well. big gain or huge loss. it ended up being the latter.

D.C. Got dropped by Gus and won it by a split decision.

Jones won unanimously and he won less decisively? Lol, log off of sherdog from time to time.

wall_of_text_1664.gif
C'Mon man, a paragraph here & there....

D.C. Got dropped by Gus and won it by a split decision.

Jones won unanimously and he won less decisively? Lol, log off of sherdog from time to time.
in almost an hour of fighting, a lot more happened than what you are suggesting. I sure hope you haven't ever posted about the sport needing rule reform. that'd be ironic.

I was hoping DC would win so that there would be a rubber match between the two of them. Daniel is 39 years old, a decade older than Jon Jones, and has won belts in every organization and weight class in which he has fought. I think he could retire now happy with his accomplishments. Or he could get back on the horse and get a few more wins and angle for another showdown with Jon Jones.

wall_of_text_1664.gif
C'Mon man, a paragraph here & there....
I have spent enough time on this site that I know we both know the forum is almost entirely trash. I post something I actually thought about that wasn't written for likes or laughs, but to just actually talk mma. The best contribution you can make is wishing I had made 2 big paragraphs into smaller paragraphs? why are you here?

Had he downplayed what Jones has accomplished then everyone would have said he was kidding himself. He said what a lot of people already believe, that Jones is the greatest, and lost twice to a person that a lot of people, again, believe is the greatest. GOAT or not, Jones is a special fighter and there really isn't any reason to hang your head over losing to him. Everyone loses to him.

I have spent enough time on this site that I know we both know the forum is almost entirely trash. I post something I actually thought about that wasn't written for likes or laughs, but to just actually talk mma. The best contribution you can make is wishing I had made 2 big paragraphs into smaller paragraphs? why are you here?

You've been here a couple of years.

Break that up if you really want folks to read it. It is a giant wall of text.

Not hating, just giving you a tip man.

I was hoping DC would win so that there would be a rubber match between the two of them. Daniel is 39 years old, a decade older than Jon Jones, and has won belts in every organization and weight class in which he has fought. I think he could retire now happy with his accomplishments. Or he could get back on the horse and get a few more wins and angle for another showdown with Jon Jones.
anything but jones again for DC..

Buddy just break it up nobody wants to read a wall of text and go crosseyed, it's not about writing for likes, it's about writing to get read ain't nobody gonna read that mountain of wordz, beautify your sh!t with a paragraph or two I ain't into marathon reading...

i dont think he hurt his legacy by talking jones up

i think he did by talking shit about him for years.

Separate your passage, my man...

DC is just an honest dude. He was completely forthcoming in regards to his legacy being tied to Jon's. He wasn't wrong.

He lost, it sucks. I would never make such a grandiose statement such as: "if you don't love D.C. you are a flawed human being."

But I will say: "if you don't love D.C. you are a flawed human being."

And also the paragraph thing.

Yeah.

I just finished watching a YouTube vid called "when trash talk goes wrong...ufc edition".

And cormier really kept digging a depper hole for himself everytime he talked about jones. So he deserves the backlash he created for himself.

It's good that you don't hold it against him for crying afterwards.

You've been here a couple of years.

Break that up if you really want folks to read it. It is a giant wall of text.

Not hating, just giving you a tip man.
To make more paragraphs, I would have needed to expound on different aspects of my point even further. It probably would have lengthened the entire post. It's not always so simple as indenting when convenient. If we are here to talk about MMA, why aren't we talking about MMA? I'm a butcher in his mid 20's for Christ's sake.

Back