GSP vs Fedor

The Hash Slinging Slasher

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
This thread isn't to argue goat status, an argument could be made either way. which fighter do you think had the more anticipated comeback after taking several years off? I think it's GSP, because he went out on top, and everyone wants to see where he's at today skillwise. Fedor had several losses at the end, and I think he wasn't expected to be the same as his prime. Plus it's interesting that Georges is going to a new weight class. So who is it?

Lol! I thought you were going to ask who wins in a fight.

Obviously GSP. GSP went out when he was on top, while Fedor had declined for years before he retired.

We don't know how good GSP is now, but we all knew Fedor was not the same fighter as in his prime.

Kind of like comparing Jones comeback to Chucks comeback.

This thread isn't to argue goat status, an argument could be made either way. which fighter do you think had the more anticipated comeback after taking several years off? I think it's GSP, because he went out on top, and everyone wants to see where he's at today skillwise. Fedor had several losses at the end, and I think he wasn't expected to be the same as his prime. Plus it's interesting that Georges is going to a new weight class. So who is it?
im25k-.gif

Nobody is anticipating GSP's return. Nobody was anticipating Fedor's return. They both should have stayed retired.

I think more is anticipated from GSP is his return as he's younger and 'should' be in better fighting form and was still going pretty strong when retiring

I, and most people didn't expect as much from Fedor, as he was almost 40 and hadn't looked anywhere close to his best for a long time, even though he won 3 fights against mid-low tier guys before first retirement

GSP.

Bigger promotion in a bigger audience he is established in. And he went out on top.

Speak for yourself, just because you aren't doesn't mean nobody is
No. I'm speaking for the community as a whole. You're speaking for yourself. Fedor did poor numbers on his return. That's a fact. I predict GSP will fail to break 700k aswell... He won't get close to the one mill the UFC are hoping for.

No. I'm speaking for the community as a whole. You're speaking for yourself. Fedor did poor numbers on his return. That's a fact. I predict GSP will fail to break 700k aswell... He won't get close to the one mill the UFC are hoping for.
Ok buddeh, you aren't the mouthpiece of the mma community. I'm not really talking about ppv buys or popularity contests. I'm talking about level of excitedness among mid tier to hardcore fans.

Personally, I have pretty low expectations about GSP's return. He was arguably past his prime when he quasi-retired, and by now there's no question he's on the decline...not to mention he's getting old and has been out of the fight game for two years now.

I haven't really seen anyone saying they expect him to end up on top again. Ironically, he may have a shot at beating Woodley or Maia, but I see Thompson and even Masvidal tooling him.

I like GSP, and I wish him the best, but I'm just not very optimistic.

Ok buddeh, you aren't the mouthpiece of the mma community. I'm not really talking about ppv buys or popularity contests. I'm talking about level of excitedness among mid tier to hardcore fans.
PPV buys is the only thing which can prove how excited people are for a fighters return. Low numbers and nobody cares. It's that simple.

Personally, I have pretty low expectations about GSP's return. He was arguably past his prime when he quasi-retired, and by now there's no question he's on the decline...not to mention he's getting old and has been out of the fight game for two years now.

I haven't really seen anyone saying they expect him to end up on top again. Ironically, he may have a shot at beating Woodley or Maia, but I see Thompson and even Masvidal tooling him.

I like GSP, and I wish him the best, but I'm just not very optimistic.
That's what makes this so interesting. Did the time off maybe do him good or was it just valuable time wasted for the game to pass him by.

GSP was dominating everyone before the Hendricks fight, yet for some reason people are saying he was out of his prime after the Hendricks...

<YeahOKJen>

I predict GSP will fail to break 700k aswell... He won't get close to the one mill the UFC are hoping for.
Even if he fails to break 700K with 650K it's a considered a success. Look at the horrible PPV numbers from this year. Aside from Jones return that did 800K+, no one else has even come close to 500K.

PPV buys is the only thing which can prove how excited people are for a fighters return. Low numbers and nobody cares. It's that simple.
By your own logic, perhaps you should wait for the numbers before declaring that nobody cares about the fight. GSP has a nation behind him. Also I don't have research on the numbers, but I would say he's probably top 3 all time in ppv.

Back