Can someone explain the UFC's match making to me?

hypocalking

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I seriously can't figure out how they do match making with the rankings system in place. It makes zero sense. Why do they even bother with rankings? It's not like they actually follow a system implored by them. Example if you beat someone in the top 10 why would you then be booked against #15, the last numbered ranking on the system? How does this benefit the fighter who just beat the guy in the top ten? Pathetic.

Matchmaking attempts to maximize profit and entertainment. This is why Platinum Mike Perry is very close to a title shot

Joe Silva seemed to love squashing exciting prospects by putting them against boring wrestlers/grinders who would make them look bad. He also enjoyed putting Japanese fighters against the same and booking old PRIDE guys against younger fighters that would KO them.

Every fighter isn't going to always fight a fighter ranked above them after each time they win. It just isn't going to be. You have guys turning down fights, guys taking fights against lower ranked guys to pad records and to also get in a fight and a payday when guys above them are injured or inactive for whatever reason. The UFC and matchmaker also will by design not make some fights before they feel is the most appropriate time for them. Matchmaking isn't easy as so many factors come into play.

Because if the number two guy kept getting a title shot over and over it would be boring and no one would want to watch. Rankings are merely there to give casuals an idea of who is at the top of the division.

Rankings aren't a league table. They're just a rough guide for where fighters stand in the division. Become a fan of the sport and you won't care about the game of rankings.

Because pro fighting is a spectacle first and foremost.

Would you rather watch Conor vs Floyd than Floyd vs some 20th ranked boxer? Yeah, you would. Even though Conor is obviously not ranked at all.

That's how it goes, deal with it.

I seriously can't figure out how they do match making with the rankings system in place. It makes zero sense. Why do they even bother with rankings? It's not like they actually follow a system implored by them. Example if you beat someone in the top 10 why would you then be booked against #15, the last numbered ranking on the system? How does this benefit the fighter who just beat the guy in the top ten? Pathetic.
what example are you using?

Just because someone is ranked #9 doesn't mean they will automatically beat #15. It's is a fight and anything can happen. Using your logic a #15 fighter would never get to fight a top 10 fighter, thus never move up.

However, the UFC has to straddle a fine line - make money for the company and follow some sense of order that keeps the fans happy. And you can believe the priority is making the new ownership money because they overpaid for the UFC.

Plus, you have to factor in that perhaps all the top 8 either have fights booked or are injured or just fought. Sometimes #15 is the top available guy for #9 to fight.

Well, I would agree with you if there was ever some org that had better matchmaking.

Ufc makes the match ups that can get most money n most intrest from casuals. After that they use ranking system.

Well, I would agree with you if there was ever some org that had better matchmaking.
Got to go wirh this as well. The match making might not be perfect but a ton better than Boxing

Because if the number two guy kept getting a title shot over and over it would be boring and no one would want to watch. Rankings are merely there to give casuals an idea of who is at the top of the division.

Could a fighter stay at #2 like that? Wouldn't he moved either up or down if he kept getting title fights?

Back