Any videos or articles really breaking down the specifics of the Cormier/Jones fight?

flakxd

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I'm looking for technical fight related topics. Someone breaking down their last fight, projecting about this upcoming fight.

An article or video dissecting just how these two match-up in the stand-up. Who possesses the better mma wrestling. And discussing all the actual Fight details along with a breakdown.

Everything I'm seeing online is relating to their feud, and the beef, and the build-up....but very little info on the fight itself.

here's an outline from me

- Striking was fairly even in the first fight
- Wrestling went to Jon's favor, which surprised cormier and demoralized him
- Both gassed quite a bit, though jon took the last couple rounds
- Fight was in jones' favor, but not particularly lopsided

but

- DC was way too emotional and it definitely affected him, making him gas even harder
- Jon jones didn't look too hot when he last fought, winning a decision over OSP
- Cormier is older now and had a war with gustafsson
- Jon jones is potentially off steroids, but no one can be sure on that
- Ring rust could play a role in jon's performance

he looks like hes about to cry in that preview image

jones really ate his soul

Win or lose DC is going to cry. That's a sure fire bet that I would absolutely take if there was a prop on it, but I believe DC is taking this one.

Some of the best discussion is in sherdogs betting forum

With money at stake, posts are pretty sober.

there's nothing much to dissect.

Jones is the better fighter physically. He proved it in their last fight. There wasn't any particular area where it seemed like Cormier could beat Jones at. Jones beat Cormier pretty convincingly- while not at a GSP level of shutdown, there just isn't much where Cormier could capitalize on at this age especially with Jones looking even physically stronger.

The only factor I reckon that could play a difference, is Jones' mental state when the bell rings. I don't believe in ring rust- this was made famous by Dana White, a man who doesn't fight himself. Plenty of fighters have come back looking stronger or better than ever after a period of absence.

Jones certainly doesn't look like he has backtracked physically. What we don't know is how Jones is going to react to pressure, or adapt if perhaps things don't go his way right away. Will the nerves get the best of him? Will he snap mentally like Rumble and shy away from the gameplan while ignoring his coaches? Does Jones have doubt in himself right now?

Jones' battle is all mental imo. He seems like he's grown since he last fought. How much of his ammo was arrogance-fueled? Throwing Rampage over his shoulders at the bell, son'ing DC during their fight... what kind of fighter is he going to be if he has grown away from that? can he fight without being an egomaniac?

Many questions to be answered during the fight. One thing is for sure, If Jones comes out calm and focused, DC is fucked. The cuts have not been kind to DC, and he's been deteriorating his body especially with age, while Jones has been building up and recovering properly during his time off.

Cant wait

he looks like hes about to cry in that preview image

jones really ate his soul

Jones was shook in the press conference. Cormier is living in Jones' head rent free. ;)

there's nothing much to dissect.

Jones is the better fighter physically. He proved it in their last fight. There wasn't any particular area where it seemed like Cormier could beat Jones at. Jones beat Cormier pretty convincingly- while not at a GSP level of shutdown, there just isn't much where Cormier could capitalize on at this age especially with Jones looking even physically stronger.

The only factor I reckon that could play a difference, is Jones' mental state when the bell rings. I don't believe in ring rust- this was made famous by Dana White, a man who doesn't fight himself. Plenty of fighters have come back looking stronger or better than ever after a period of absence.

Jones certainly doesn't look like he has backtracked physically. What we don't know is how Jones is going to react to pressure, or adapt if perhaps things don't go his way right away. Will the nerves get the best of him? Will he snap mentally like Rumble and shy away from the gameplan while ignoring his coaches? Does Jones have doubt in himself right now?

Jones' battle is all mental imo. He seems like he's grown since he last fought. How much of his ammo was arrogance-fueled? Throwing Rampage over his shoulders at the bell, son'ing DC during their fight... what kind of fighter is he going to be if he has grown away from that? can he fight without being an egomaniac?

Many questions to be answered during the fight. One thing is for sure, If Jones comes out calm and focused, DC is fucked. The cuts have not been kind to DC, and he's been deteriorating his body especially with age, while Jones has been building up and recovering properly during his time off.

Cant wait

I hope Jones' performance can put this 'ring-rust' myth to rest now. When you get to take a year off to fully recover, and focus on training, especially if you're in your prime, you're gonna come back better on the most part

Back