Jones New KO Power

Pain4Pain

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
If you've watched Jon's fights enough, you know he is lacking in two areas: boxing and KO power. Yet he makes up for this with his powerful hellbows, kicks and when he actually uses them... knees.

Though he was jacked in his OSP fight and he did slow down due to this is because:

1. The extra muscle needs more oxygen, yeah this is common sense. Someone as jacked as Woodley makes up for this by conserving his energy and only attacks with brief bursts of energy, which is why he is perceived to be such a powerful wrestler and has real KO power in his hands.

2. Ring rust, he was not as "dialed in" and calm during the fight hence wasting more energy.

3. Carrying extra fat around.

However, don't be fooled by the weigh his upper body looks. He was doing full-on powerlifting before UFC 197. There are videos of him on youtube squatting 500 and deadlifting 500+ more than a year ago. In boxing, the power comes from the ground.

A powerful punch isn't just about "throwing your body behind the punch," most of the power comes from pushing off of the ground with your legs, lunging your body weight at your opponent, where you will generate more power the harder and faster you push off the floor. F = m×a, so in theory I believe that when Jones lands that sweet cross from the southpaw position that he landed countless times in the first fight, we may be in for a surprise. Also, the increased power from the legs will translate to his kicks/knees/elbows as well as the power comes from the ground up.

cormier%2Buppercut.gif

Also, here is an old thread I made discussing how JBJ will win:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/why-jones-will-beat-cormier-again.3547151/#post-130776411

Oh and I almost forgot:

gif1.gif

Last edited:
Jones is pillow fisted and hasn't finished anyone since Chael. No way he comes close to finishing DC

JBJ has the best boxing defense.

Ali said it best

Your hands can't hit what your eyes can't see

Jon%2BJones%2BEye%2BPokes%2BDaniel%2BCormier%2BUFC%2B182.gif

if jones can finish dc, il pay for the coke and hookers myself. war jones

7.gif

The one time he showed power he nearly killed a man, now he's just being nice to his fellow competitors <JonesLaugh>

Seriously his eye poke game is strong, with this new camp expect dc to be blind by r2

JBJ Bandwagon is about to depart!

Last edited:
If Jones KOs DC I'll treat myself to coke and hookers...

If DC doesn't die I'll treat myself to coke and hookers and donuts...

[QUOTE="Pain4Pain, post: 132290751, member: boxing and KO power. Yet he makes up for this with his powerful hellbows, kicks and when he actually uses them... knees.

Though he was jacked in his OSP fight and he did slow down due
Oh and I almost forgot:

gif1.gif
[/QUOTE]

Fucked up the quote, but can someone explain this cheesy shit to me?

I think he lacks power because of his long ass reach. I remember reading or watching somewhere that fighters with an unsually long reach can struggle to sit down on shots. He is best off using straight shots that is where he will generate the most power.

If you've watched Jon's fights enough, you know he is lacking in two areas: boxing and KO power. Yet he makes up for this with his powerful hellbows, kicks and when he actually uses them... knees.

Though he was jacked in his OSP fight and he did slow down due to this is because:

1. The extra muscle needs more oxygen, yeah this is common sense. Someone as jacked as Woodley makes up for this by conserving his energy and only attacks with brief bursts of energy, which is why he is perceived to be such a powerful wrestler and has real KO power in his hands.

2. Ring rust, he was not as "dialed in" and calm during the fight hence wasting more energy.

3. Carrying extra fat around.

However, don't be fooled by the weigh his upper body looks. He was doing full-on powerlifting before UFC 197. There are videos of him on youtube squatting 500 and deadlifting 500+ more than a year ago. In boxing, the power comes from the ground.

A powerful punch isn't just about "throwing your body behind the punch," most of the power comes from pushing off of the ground with your legs, lunging your body weight at your opponent, where you will generate more power the harder and faster you push off the floor. F = m×a, so in theory I believe that when Jones lands that sweet cross from the southpaw position that he landed countless times in the first fight, we may be in for a surprise. Also, the increased power from the legs will translate to his kicks/knees/elbows as well as the power comes from the ground up.

cormier%2Buppercut.gif

Also, here is an old thread I made discussing how JBJ will win:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/why-jones-will-beat-cormier-again.3547151/#post-130776411

I'

Oh and I almost forgot:

gif1.gif

I'm no kinesiologist, but it wouldn't surprise me if Bones would hit harder by working on his mechanics.

I think he lacks power because of his long ass reach. I remember reading or watching somewhere that fighters with an unsually long reach can struggle to sit down on shots. He is best off using straight shots that is where he will generate the most power.

That's definitely true. I know this from myself. I've been doing boxing for a long ass time, and while I'm really decent from range (working the jab and countering with the right) I always have trouble when we get inside. I can get my body behind a cross and land with power, but with the more rounded strikes like hooks and uppercuts - it's just awkward with long arms. It's hard to get that snap on the punch.

Back