Is Maia the best Jiujitsu player of all time if he wins the belt?

Headkicktoleg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He has fought against resisting opponents who can use everything but weapons against him. I know Roger is out there submitting other guys in gi, he's probably the gi jiu jitsu guy ever, but Maia is doing it to guy who don't even want to play the game.

I think he has already proven he is the GOAT MMA, BJJ practitioner. As for great all time submission grappling/BJJ, he's close IMO.

I personally think he has translated the best from BJJ. He isn't the best at BJJ though. Watch Marcelo toy with him on youtube. The most insane thing about Maia to me is that he perfected the TD game later in his career, and is able to hang with high level collegiate wrestlers, and in many cases win the TD and position battle. TDD is typically what saves many wrestlers from even having to deal with the ground game of a BJJ guy, but Maia has basically taken that safe haven away from them......

I personally think he has translated the best from BJJ. He isn't the best at BJJ though. Watch Marcelo toy with him on youtube. The most insane thing about Maia to me is that he perfected the TD game later in his career, and is able to hang with high level collegiate wrestlers, and in many cases win the TD and position battle. TDD is typically what saves many wrestlers from even having to deal with the ground game of a BJJ guy, but Maia has basically taken that safe haven away from them......

Totally agree. That's what makes him SOO amazing. His take downs are what separates him from the others.

Not to diminish Maia's accomplishments, but even if he wins a MMA title I'm wondering how he could be considered a better BJJ player than a guy like BJ. Mir and Big Nog should also be in the conversation.

Werdum is still up there in terms of accomplished BJJ practitioners in MMA, Maia is more "pure" though since Werdum has more dangerous striking.

I think DM would have smoked any prime Gracie not named Rickson. A prime JJ Machado would have been a fun match.

Not to diminish Maia's accomplishments, but even if he wins a MMA title I'm wondering how he could be considered a better BJJ player than a guy like BJ. Mir and Big Nog should also be in the conversation.

He's clearly better than all three of them (far better than the likes of Mir and Nog). If we're talking pure BJJ or even no-gi submission grappling, there are a few guys ahead of him (Roger Gracie, Marcelo Garcia, Jacare). If we're talking application to MMA, it could maybe be argued that he is the best.

Might already be the best MMA BJJ guy. His win streak has been a beautiful display of taking the back and choking dudes out or controlling them. And it has looked effortless

Would pay money to see the backpack against Paul Harris for obvious reasons

<{JustBleed}>

Just break

He has fought against resisting opponents who can use everything but weapons against him. I know Roger is out there submitting other guys in gi, he's probably the gi jiu jitsu guy ever, but Maia is doing it to guy who don't even want to play the game.

Marcelo Garcia is definitely better in and out of the gi

Can you expand on that. Nobody has ever "imposed their will" as much as Maia. He literally goes to the back and gets the RNC or goes to the back and get the decision trying to RNC. That's held true for YEARS now.

A big part of the argument for Maia is BJ has (had) great striking too and Nog had good striking as well, Maia basically does it with only BJJ (and wrestling).

Mir tapped Nog.

C'Mon man....

Mir tapped Nog.
So did Werdum, it's hard to call Mir the best MMA BJJist ever when I've seen him overwhelmed on the ground several times (eg. Brock, Overeem) compared to guys like Werdum and Maia who are never at a significant disadvantage there.

Back