Demian Maia should take the Ryan Hall approach against T-Wood

ChaelSonnen

The American Gangster
@purple
Reaction score
It's no secret that Woodley has the power to knock Maia out anytime he wants to - especially in the earlier rounds. He can explode with a fury at any moment, and when he does, I don't see Maia being able to defend himself intelligently. Early in the fight it will also be tough for Maia to take Woodley down, obviously given Woodley's wrestling credentials.

But Maia doesn't have to force the takedowns. If you guys watched the Ryan Hall / Gray Maynard fight, you'd remember that every time Maynard decided to swarm Hall, Hall simply fell to the ground to try and lure Maynard in. It was not the most entertaining fight, but it was damn effective, especially in the eyes of the judges. I feel like Maia would succeed following the same gameplan against Woodley, which not only would tire Woodley out, but also frustrate him, forcing him to engage. Techniques as imanari rolls could also be effective.

he tried that once and got KO'd by marquart.

Maia threw a kick (slowly and telegraphed I might add) and got countered and KO'd unconcious. If Marquardt can do that then so can Woodley.

The problem is even if Maia lays down in the center of the cage Woodley will happily rest his bum on the cage for 25 minutes.

Exactly what I wouldn't tell Maia to do if I was his coach.

The problem is even if Maia lays down in the center of the cage Woodley will happily rest his bum on the cage for 25 minutes.
I don't think Woodley will play the 'back against the cage' game against Maia. Wouldn't that play in Maia's favor, seeing how he often uses the cage to get his takedowns?

It's no secret that Woodley has the power to knock Maia out anytime he wants to - especially in the earlier rounds. He can explode with a fury at any moment, and when he does, I don't see Maia being able to defend himself intelligently. Early in the fight it will also be tough for Maia to take Woodley down, obviously given Woodley's wrestling credentials.

But Maia doesn't have to force the takedowns. If you guys watched the Ryan Hall / Gray Maynard fight, you'd remember that every time Maynard decided to swarm Hall, Hall simply fell to the ground to try and lure Maynard in. It was not the most entertaining fight, but it was damn effective, especially in the eyes of the judges. I feel like Maia would succeed following the same gameplan against Woodley, which not only would tire Woodley out, but also frustrate him, forcing him to engage. Techniques as imanari rolls could also be effective.

Or Maia gets flattened like Marcin Held did against Damir Hadzovic...

damir-hadzovic-ufc-fight-night-109-knee-video.jpg

One of the most brutal finishes of the year...

He needs to get close for that.

And if he misses a punch his ass will be on the ground.

He better be incredibly accurate

He needs to do exactly what he´s been doing lately, which by the way has been working very well for him....

the LAST thing he needs to do is to "all of a sudden" change his game for the most important fight of his life.

If he´s gonna win, it´s gonna be in Maia fashion. Get close, get the back and get the neck.

This fight has shit show written all over it.

As good as Lawler and Cerrone will be, this fight will probably be equally as bad.

Rick Story, Jon Fitch, Ryan Laflare, Rory Mac, DHK, Gunnar are all solid to good wrestlers as well and Maia took them all down.

Obviously none have TWoods speed and power which is game changing but if he gets a hold of him, he can drag him down.

no one can force woodley to engage. He is the master of non engagement
He runs and runs and runs then occasionally the opponent over commits trying to make something happens and then woodley delivers the right hand

Maia should do the one thing that got him to the dance. Maia backpacking his way to victory. Def don't do what anyone else says.

It´s not the Ryan Hall approach, it´s this guy´s:

Antonio Conceicao.JPG

Woodley won't let the backpack on so easy.

Damian needs to avoid Woodley's power punches.

Damian will likely need to do something different to beat Woodley but does not mean drastically different. Yes the backpack is his bread and butter and he will use it when he can but the challenge is getting there.

Maia couldn't get Anderson down FFS. He will get clowned.

Back