30 for 30: Jon Jones

Have they ever done a 30 for 30 concerning MMA?

It's pretty much the only program on any of the 100 ESPN channels that I watch.

Well, the Conor one would come sooner than Jones', but we're definitely seeing it once his career end. If they still do 30 for 30 by that time.

Not interested.

The 3-minute promo for Jones-DC 2 had about all the drama I could tolerate.

At the risk of contradicting the great and awesome Dana White...MMA is a fringe sport that the majority of mainstream sports fans do not give a shit about MMA.

At the risk of contradicting the great and awesome Dana White...MMA is a fringe sport that the majority of mainstream sports fans do not give a shit about MMA.
Even if that was true, that doesn't mean 30 for 30 wouldn't cover it. They cover anything interesting big or small.

I'd watch it.

Even if that was true, that doesn't mean 30 for 30 wouldn't cover it. They cover anything interesting big or small.

They want ratings.

In terms of demographics focusing on anything MMA related is a waste of money and time.

I'm sure an episode on Ronda Rousey or what not would do just fine ratings.

Have they made one?

During the peak of her overblown popularity did ESPN make her the focus of a 30 for 30?

Nope.

Why do you think that is?

They want ratings.

In terms of demographics focusing on anything MMA related is a waste of money and time.

What do you base that assumption on? Conor brings in huge ratings and has done so ever since defeating Chad Mendes. A 30 for 30 on Bones would do fine, but usually they wait until there's a complete narrative to cover. They'll definitely end up doing one on him.

Have they made one?

During the peak of her overblown popularity did ESPN make her the focus of a 30 for 30?

Nope.

Why do you think that is?
Too soon. Majority of their episodes focus on events that happened years ago. We're not even 100% if her story is finished yet. Patience.

Too soon. Majority of their episodes focus on events that happened years ago. We're not even 100% if her story is finished yet. Patience.

Not sure they'll do it on Ronda. Her fame was probably too short-lived. It's still an interesting story of falling from grace, so maybe.

What do you base that assumption on? Conor brings in huge ratings and has done so ever since defeating Chad Mendes. A 30 for 30 on Bones would do fine, but usually they wait until there's a complete narrative to cover. They'll definitely end up doing one on him.

Good ratings for MMA are laughable compared to real sports.

You live in a bubble where you believe that the UFC and MMA is somehow "important" or "popular".

It isn't.

Good ratings for MMA are laughable compared to real sports.

You live in a bubble where you believe that the UFC and MMA is somehow "important" or "popular".

It isn't.

LOL. I am perfectly aware that MMA doesn't even begin to rival the biggies. It will never touch football, basketball etc. in America and will never touch real football, tennis etc. globally. It could overtake boxing though in the future, but that's not even a given. A few 30 for 30's on the absolute biggest names in MMA is not at all out of the question though. A good measurement-stick on how interested the big media is in a sport, is usually how much it's being talked about in shows like First Take and Undisputed. And while MMA trails far behind here, guys like Conor, Ronda, Jones and DC still get considerable coverage.

*EDIT* Coming to think of it, there's probably some politics involved in regards to UFC having their deal with Fox and ESPN producing 30 for 30. Never the less, things could change.

"What If I told you a crack head was the greatest fighter Ever"

Back