What will DC do differently to beat Jones the 2nd time?

John Cena

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
should DC ditch the takedown?

Last time, he spent the whole fight trying to take jones down only to be successful once.

Standing with Jones is the only way but I see him getting out struck.

Maybe turn up the pressure?

Last time, he spent the whole fight trying to take jones down only to be successful once.

Jon%2BJones%2BEye%2BPokes%2BDaniel%2BCormier%2BUFC%2B182.gif

As long as Mr. coke head doesn't poke DC in the eyes as he boxes him up, he's going to TKO Jones

He should knock him out this time. If I were him, that's what I'd do.

I think he's going to try to take him down and beat on him and he'll probably be successful this time because he's improved and Jones is probably clean and diminished.

what did he do well with? getting inside, clinching, dirty boxing, leg and body kicks.

what did he not do well with? attempted throws and takedowns.

so i think he needs to get inside, clinch, dirty box, leg kick, body kicks and WORK WORK WORK, but don't clinch for the purpose of throws / takedowns.

it won't be easy.

EDIT: oh, and more uppercuts from the dirty box clinch. Tyson style. let go, shift sideways, and blast.

I think we are going to see jones do alot more wrestling...Jones has been working extensively on his bjj..even entering a bjj tournement earlier. so i think it's going to be jones who uses the wrestling more...I think we are going to see jones go for way more takedowns and go for submissions...

I think he's going to try to take him down and beat on him and he'll probably be successful this time because he's improved and Jones is probably clean and diminished.

what did he do well with? getting inside, clinching, dirty boxing, leg and body kicks.

what did he not do well with? attempted throws and takedowns.

so i think he needs to get inside, clinch, dirty box, leg kick, body kicks and WORK WORK WORK, but don't clinch for the purpose of throws / takedowns.

i say less takedowns/throws, you say more (or, attempt again, but you believe they will be successful this time). i'm curious which one of us is right. probably a good thing neither of us is a coach :)

He has to get past the reach. Head movement and footwork are key. Stop being so predictable with takedowns.

There's literally nothing DC can do.
Jon beats him everywhere.

He has to get past the reach. Head movement and footwork are key. Stop being so predictable with takedowns.
he got within reach for about 23 of 25 minutes last time.

EDIT:

i should have said "he spent the whole fight moving forward and getting inside Jones' reach last time. basically the whole fight, except the few moments that Jones made space with front kicks, he was inside Jones' reach."

First fight was great. Just think he needs a few minor tweeks to beat him this time. But this is a tough fight for both but if Cormier can win the grappling this time he should ride out a decision.

Leg kicks, more aggressive, cant sit back and let Jones pick him off and get a decision, but if DC pushes the pace, will he gas later...

Should be a good fight, i expect it to be a lot more close than the first fight.
Not a fan of either fighters so may the best man win and hopefully it's a good fight
if DC wins, I see a rematch happening straight away.

Try get a DQ via eye pokes?

Literally I have no clue and neither does DC, Jones is his superior

Hit him harder, keep the pace for 5 rounds instead of 3. Setup the takedown better.

Box him up. DC is the better boxer. The first fight was close. I think if Cormier just lets his hands go, he's got this. He held back too much in the first fight. I don't think he'll have that problem this time. Look for Cormier to light up a much slower Jones(am I the only one that noticed how slow he looks in the training footage?) and probably get a ko/tko.

Box him up. DC is the better boxer. The first fight was close. I think if Cormier just lets his hands go, he's got this. He held back too much in the first fight. I don't think he'll have that problem this time. Look for Cormier to light up a much slower Jones(am I the only one that noticed how slow he looks in the training footage?) and probably get a ko/tko.

it's a good point. if he spent more time punching once he got deep inside and less time attempting clinch throws / losing the Greco Roman battle, he could win a few rounds.

i'd be (pleasantly) surprised if he got a (T)KO, but highly doubt it will happen. we've seen Jones stunned, what, once? he ate all of DC's shots, all of Rampage's, got backed up once by one of Machida's. that's another reason this fight is so crazy; neither fighter seems to ever take damage.

Back