UPDATE: Daniel Cormier Weight Cut - He's right on track

Whom do you want to win?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“DC” fans don’t have to worry about any of that this week, per Cormier’s nutritionist Tyler Minton of FitnessVT. Cormier is 215 pounds as of Wednesday night and still completely hydrated.

“He’s really lean right now,” said Minton, who works with MMA nutrition gurus George Lockhartand Daniel Lieth. “He really is. He’s got abs showing. He’s a lean guy right now.

Under the new CSAC rules, Cormier had to be cleared by a doctor to compete at 205 pounds for this fight and had to be in a target range for 30- and 10-day weight checks. Cormier passed all those tests, per CSAC. And Minton said it wasn’t even necessarily that difficult.

“We hit the numbers we needed to hit for the 30-day out,” Minton said. “We hit those just through diet. We didn’t have to do anything crazy. So yeah, he started a bit lighter and it’s made the whole camp easy. Because instead of focusing on cutting weight for six weeks, we fed him like an athlete. I tell people all the time, you don’t feed a supermodel and an athlete the same way. We’ve been able to feed him like a 205-pound world champion.”

With Cormier’s weight already down to a manageable number, Minton said the American Kickboxing Academy product could focus on his training, rather than trying to shed pounds. He expects that to mean a lean, peak-condition Cormier for Saturday night at Honda Center.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/7/...weight-cut-going-smoothly-hes-got-abs-showing

Not that he won't make weight, but haven't positive stories like this come out before fighters missed weight? I feel like Hendricks has had an "easy cut" article before missing weight, at least.

“DC” fans don’t have to worry about any of that this week, per Cormier’s nutritionist Tyler Minton of FitnessVT. Cormier is 215 pounds as of Wednesday night and still completely hydrated.

“He’s really lean right now,” said Minton, who works with MMA nutrition gurus George Lockhartand Daniel Lieth. “He really is. He’s got abs showing. He’s a lean guy right now.

Under the new CSAC rules, Cormier had to be cleared by a doctor to compete at 205 pounds for this fight and had to be in a target range for 30- and 10-day weight checks. Cormier passed all those tests, per CSAC. And Minton said it wasn’t even necessarily that difficult.

“We hit the numbers we needed to hit for the 30-day out,” Minton said. “We hit those just through diet. We didn’t have to do anything crazy. So yeah, he started a bit lighter and it’s made the whole camp easy. Because instead of focusing on cutting weight for six weeks, we fed him like an athlete. I tell people all the time, you don’t feed a supermodel and an athlete the same way. We’ve been able to feed him like a 205-pound world champion.”

With Cormier’s weight already down to a manageable number, Minton said the American Kickboxing Academy product could focus on his training, rather than trying to shed pounds. He expects that to mean a lean, peak-condition Cormier for Saturday night at Honda Center.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/7/...weight-cut-going-smoothly-hes-got-abs-showing

WHEW.....All's I'm sayin.

Now PRAY Bones doesn't do anything idiotic for the next two days.

DC will finish Jones in the 2nd. TKO. War DC!

Just because he said it wasn't that difficult doesn't mean he's telling the truth. You think he would really say "yeah D.C. Is struggling and it was a push to get him to the 30 day and 10 day mark and he just made it. He's drained right now and dehydrated so we'll see what happens at the weigh-ins. Fingers crossed." I think it's just age that's making his weight cuts tougher. I'm confident he'll make weight because this is too big of a fight for him but I also believe it's tough on him.

Regardless Bones smashes him within 3.

Should keep a towel nearby just in case.

Should keep a towel nearby just in case.

I really like DC. And...he did cheat with a towel. IMO not nearly as bad as JJones eyepoking as a strategy because he gets away with it.

Right on. I'm pretty neutral in this fight, I just want to see a good battle. If Daniel wins, you got to think a 3rd fight would happen...

Just because he said it wasn't that difficult doesn't mean he's telling the truth. You think he would really say "yeah D.C. Is struggling and it was a push to get him to the 30 day and 10 day mark and he just made it. He's drained right now and dehydrated so we'll see what happens at the weigh-ins. Fingers crossed." I think it's just age that's making his weight cuts tougher. I'm confident he'll make weight because this is too big of a fight for him but I also believe it's tough on him.

Regardless Bones smashes him within 3.
The weight cut doesn't have to be more difficult because he's older. That's bollocks. The body gets less forgiving as one gets older, so if he goes by past experience and what he could get away with, thinking he can get lax on his diet and make up for it with a last minute massive weight cut session, yes, age will be a factor and possibly derail him. If he's disciplined and eating like an elite athlete, and with a good strategy of more fat loss ahead of time so that less fluid loss is necessary, the weight cut will not be a problem at all. Discipline is the issue. That's the question mark.

Well, if his camp says so. We usually hear about it right away if a weight cut is going horribly, and definitely not until after the fight.

I figured DC grew a beard to hide his gauntness. His eyes don't look sunken, so he's got that going for him...

Imagine if MMA fighters stayed in shape all year round, you know, like real athletes do.

Yes, I know some fighters does that, but it feels like a lot of fighters puts on a lot of weight between fights.

I really like DC. And...he did cheat with a towel. IMO not nearly as bad as JJones eyepoking as a strategy because he gets away with it.

Same here
My issue with JJ is not the coke, car crashes etc. It's the systematic unsanctioned eyepokes.

The weight cut doesn't have to be more difficult because he's older. That's bollocks. The body gets less forgiving as one gets older, so if he goes by past experience and what he could get away with, thinking he can get lax on his diet and make up for it with a last minute massive weight cut session, yes, age will be a factor and possibly derail him. If he's disciplined and eating like an elite athlete, and with a good strategy of more fat loss ahead of time so that less fluid loss is necessary, the weight cut will not be a problem at all. Discipline is the issue. That's the question mark.
I agree 100% that discipline plays a major factor and he can make it easier on himself during the cutting phase. That being said I also know that last 2-5 pounds can be tough especially when you've done so much to get to that point. I just believe with time the body doesn't recover or work like it did say when he was 30 or even 35 making the cut tougher on him all around. Physically and emotionally.

DC by stoppage, can't wait to see Jones in the coming weeks after it.

So pumped for this. Going with Jones by a tough decision. But glad to hear that Cormier isn't taking this lightly. Making weight is the first step in beating Jones and should be a fun Saturday night.

Imagine if MMA fighters stayed in shape all year round, you know, like real athletes do.

Yes, I know some fighters does that, but it feels like a lot of fighters puts on a lot of weight between fights.
Soccer players, football, basketball, swimmers, runners, etc don't cut weight. Being in shape and cutting weight for the specific weight class you fight at are different.

Back