Is Maia the best ever at single leg sweeps from half guard?

Typrune Goatley

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I can't think of another MMA fighter that has successfully executed this sweep as many times as Maia.

Even if he can't take Woodley down, we may see Maia attempt to pull half guard and immediately sit up for that single leg.

Is he the GOAT at this sweep? And can a great wrestler like Woodley stop it if it does happen?

He won't take Woodley down, Maia has the athleticism of a white guy.

This fight will be worse than Maia's last title shot. No way Tyron risks going to the ground with him.

This fight will be worse than Maia's last title shot. No way Tyron risks going to the ground with him.

I think Maia can back Woodley against the cage and possibly take him down from there.

If that doesnt work, he might get desperate and box his way into the clinch and attempt to pull guard or half guard. I believe he can pull Woodley down. It will just be hard to keep him from standing up. If Maia grabs his leg and starts looking for the single it will be very interesting to see who can win that little battle.

I think Maia can back Woodley against the cage and possibly take him down from there.

If that doesnt work, he might get desperate and box his way into the clinch and attempt to pull guard or half guard. I believe he can pull Woodley down. It will just be hard to keep him from standing up. If Maia grabs his leg and starts looking for the single it will be very interesting to see who can win that little battle.
I think Woodley is too athletic. This fight stays where he wants it. Love to see Maia get the sub though.

2sb05ld.gif

giphy.gif

I think so. Both Nogs moved like water down there too, using those deep-half sweeps. But Maia is just on another level. He just keeps moving and moving, gaining inch by inch on that leg until he can take his opponent down or take the back.

I think so. Both Nogs moved like water down there too, using those deep-half sweeps. But Maia is just on another level. He just keeps moving and moving, gaining inch by inch on that leg until he can take his opponent down or take the back.
Jason Brilz, if I'm thinking of the right fight, shut down Lil Nog's half guard pretty efficiently

Maia is the greatest grappler the world has ever seen

Yes. That's his thing. No one trust their half guard sweeps enough to even attempt that. That's a rare thing to witness in a fight. It's like pulling guard. You just don't see it anymore. But Maia trust his bjj so much that he does it pretty much every fight and it works.

Well, he is white.

Don't forget, Brendon Schuab is a mat beast.

Jason Brilz, if I'm thinking of the right fight, shut down Lil Nog's half guard pretty efficiently
He did. A few guys were effective against them, but they were still some of the very best at it.

I actually think Big Nog has the greatest half guard game ever in MMA considering he was usually an undersized heavyweight. I believe Maia is the best at this particular technique (single leg from half) but he is also huge for his division.

Big Nog had some nasty sweeps. He pulled off a few against Fedor and Sylvia

Maia has the best clinch take-downs I've ever seen. The guy will sweep you, drag you, trip you etc... The guy knows how to get your ass to the mat if he gets his arms around you. And if you take him down good luck...

Maia has the best clinch take-downs I've ever seen. The guy will sweep you, drag you, trip you etc... The guy knows how to get your ass to the mat if he gets his arms around you. And if you take him down good luck...

I would normally say Randy Couture or Hidehiko Yoshida were the best all time at takedowns from the clinch, but you are right that you never know if Maia is going to go for a throw, a shot or pull guard.

Everyone knew Randy and Yoshida were only looking for the throw. (Randy used to shoot too). They never pulled guard.

Maia does give an extra dose of danger in that you have to worry about his pull.

That's what makes people really want to push away and keep their distance from Maia. You never want him to grab a hold of you. I think when he does latch onto you people start panicking because it goes against the whole gameplan to keep space, and then they start forgetting basic grappling defense. Its almost like the fear of him grabbing ahold of fighters scares them so much they turn into a whitebelt and it makes his domination even easier.

Masvidal kept his composure and defended well but all he really did was try to survive. He did not have many chances to do anything to Maia because he was constantly fighting the backpack.

Back