BJJ Won't Work On The Street Against A Trained Opponent...

Mikey Palangio

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am looking at Junie vs Marlon fight on TUF, and WOW!!!! It seems like BJJ is not the best style to use in real life situations, if your opponent is also trained.

What was scary is that Junie was going for an armbar, and Marlon was trying to defend it, but then I noticed that Marlon could have easily STOMPED Junie's head into the pavement, if he was aware of the opportunity to do so.

I paused the fight at the 3'52" Take a close look at how close Marlon's foot is to Junie's neck. Instead of defending the armbar, Marlon could have stomped his foot on Junie's neck and crushed his windpipe. It just takes a second of awareness, that athlete fighters are not trained to recognize. But when you watch the tape, the opportunities are there.

Good research TS

Don't ever take a BJJ class

{<RR}

It's a much smaller target.....and in the street I absolutely agree that you should always go for the dominant position.

Rickson was an example of a guy who could use brutal street jiujitsu, the most primal element of original BJJ.

He always looked to submit and especially get the mount or sidemount.

In the street, do tthat.

Good research TS

Don't ever take a BJJ class

{<RR}
The probability of meeting a trained opponent in a street fight are low. So, taking BJJ is a good thing, because it gives you an advantage over the average person.

Just address the topic instead of trying to be silly.

Funny how the guy got mad after being slammed on concrete, even though he started the fight.

It's a much smaller target.....and in the street I absolutely agree that you should always go for the dominant position.

Rickson was an example of a guy who could use brutal street jiujitsu, the most primal element of original BJJ.

He always looked to submit and especially get the mount or sidemount.

In the street, do tthat.
I appreciate an intelligent reply.

But I think on the street, it is better to stay on your feet, so you can run if things get too complicated. It is just not worth it, if the victory isn't going to come quickly.

BJJ may take too long to end the fight. The longer the fight goes, the more complicated things could get.

The probability of meeting a trained opponent in a street fight are low. So, taking BJJ is a good thing, because it gives you an advantage over the average person.

Just address the topic instead of trying to be silly.
There are a million scenarios outside the one you brought up from TUF that could happen

Your thread is silly

There are a million scenarios outside the one you brought up from TUF that could happen

Your thread is silly
He thinks Ariel is a journalist and a good interviewer....

It's good to know bjj so you can get in good positions and try to stay out of bad positions (i.e. would you be able to defend getting armbarred to stomp your opponents neck/head without decent bjj?)

Mostly the worst thing about bjj in a street fight is you're not really mobile while grappling so if your opponent's friend wants a clean soccer kick to your face even while your in Mount, there's not much stopping him

I appreciate an intelligent reply.

But I think on the street, it is better to stay on your feet, so you can run if things get too complicated. It is just not worth it, if the victory isn't going to come quickly.

BJJ may take too long to end the fight. The longer the fight goes, the more complicated things could get.

Yes it is always best to stay on your feet.

The best skills to have would probably be boxing/kickboxing, TTD like mofo and marathon runnning.

I kind of cringe when people say they are learning BJJ to help in street fights.

It would be good for women to fend off a rapist and would probably be a good skill to know overall, but I would feel sorry for the kid who just got their blue belt picking fights around town.

The thing with those Gracie street fight videos, is that they picked their opponents and there was an understanding when they happened.

Keep the violence in the ring fuckers. People can die or seriously get hurt.

Because every fight is the same.

Real-life fighting is like playing Street Fighter (the original, you fucking newbs).

Hit the same combos, always a win.

In a street fight any type of one on one martial art is useless because some other dude can just come up and sucker punch you whether you are on your feet or on your back. You can also get your head stomped when you're on the ground.

Mma is not a real representation of real street fights because in street fights anything goes. BJJ is probably particularly useless because you don't want to be on the ground in any capacity in a street fight.

' Pffffffffffttt!!!! The sound of a silent fart. '
- Tze

NOm3_f-maxage-0.gif

I am looking at Junie vs Marlon fight on TUF, and WOW!!!! It seems like BJJ is not the best style to use in real life situations, if your opponent is also trained.

What was scary is that Junie was going for an armbar, and Marlon was trying to defend it, but then I noticed that Marlon could have easily STOMPED Junie's head into the pavement, if he was aware of the opportunity to do so.

I paused the fight at the 3'52" Take a close look at how close Marlon's foot is to Junie's neck. Instead of defending the armbar, Marlon could have stomped his foot on Junie's neck and crushed his windpipe. It just takes a second of awareness, that athlete fighters are not trained to recognize. But when you watch the tape, the opportunities are there.

Well, not really. First off, it is about a one in ten million of a chance that 2 trained guys at the same weight class will end up in a street fight. Second, If the one throws an eye poke or a hit to the throat, BJJ would be the easiest way to murder him. I assume we are talking murder with the throat stomps and such. Of course there is the scenario where the one guy might be at a higher level of BJJ, and he is snapping arms and legs and such and completely neutralizing the other guys attack. Are you allowed to pick up rocks in this fight?

GOAT style for the steet is Boxer Wrestler. Boxing to KO fools and wrestling for TDD to keep it standing. Add in leg kicks with shoes, stomps, and soccer kicks and you're good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back