Can anyone provide a good argument for more weight classes?

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
http://mmajunkie.com/2017/07/abc-new-weight-classes-mma-165-175-195-225

The Association of Boxing Commissions today voted unanimously to add four new weight classes to the unified rules of MMA, increasing to 13 the number of recognized divisions in the sport.

The new weight classes include:

• 165 pounds (super lightweight)
  • 175 pounds (super welterweight)
  • 195 pounds (super middleweight)
  • 225 pounds (cruiserweight)
But the hope, according to ABC’s medical chair Andy Foster, is that more divisions will keep fighters from cutting extreme amounts of weight to fit into the divisions currently popular in the sport.
I have underlined the bullshit quote.

Weight classes exist in MMA for a single reason: Size matters. How much does size matter? Well, Demetrious Johnson has zero chance against a heavyweight, but we can probably agree that for adjacent weight classes, the size factor isn't that big of a deal at all. (ie: We would expect that elite 145ers would be competitive with elite 155ers, elite 155ers would be competitive with elite 170ers, etc.)

Weight cutting in MMA is the classic prisoners dilemma. Every fighter would be be better off by cooperating, and agreeing to cut no weight at all. However, every individual fighter has the incentive to cut as much weight as possible to have a size advantage. The end result is that everyone ends up cutting weight, everyone suffers the health consequences, and everyone fights the same people they would be fighting if nobody cut weight at all.

And therein lies the problem. There is a built in assumption that more weight classes = less weight cutting. The problem with this reasoning is that it ignores that the prisoners dilemma paradigm remains. Fighters will still have every possible incentive to cut as much weight as possible. Sure, a Johny Hendricks might have benefited from a 175 class, but you'd have just as many guys currently fighting at 170 who'd try to push themselves to 165.

Indeed, arguably, more weight classes encourages even more extreme weight cutting. Consider a pool of 100 fighters who can cut to 170lbs. If you add a 175lb and a 165lb weight class, every single one of those fighters will still have economic the incentive to cut to at least 170. However, a subset of those fighters will be able to cut to 165lbs, and will choose to do so for an added edge.

tldr: If you think MMA needs more weight classes you're a goof. There should probably only be like 4 weight classes in MMA anyways: -135lb, -170lb, -200lb, and over 200lb.

My girlfriend thinks they should scrap weight classes and it should be based on height.

I don't let her out of the house much...

guys like kelvin are too big for 1 and too small for another.....

Super HW
The talent pool would be weak AF, but I love freak show from Times to Times

155, 165 and 175 make sense because the talent pool is deep at these weights.

According to UFC.com
170 has 100 fighters on UFC roster
155 has 96 fighters on UFC roster

There are 34 FLW and 49 HW, these divisions are too shallow.

I think the ideal size of a division for the UFC is about 65-70 fighters. So expanding weight class in the middle makes sense. 195 and 225 make no sense whatsoever.

I can understand Super MW, the jump between MW and LHW is the largest in mma. Cruiserweight as well, but only if they were taking the ceiling off of hw. But I really don't think we need 2 weight classes that are each 5 lbs off of WW

it allows fighter to fight closer to their natural weight and not increase their chances of dying via dehydration.

More champions....more superfights period.
Its not watering down the division if it creates a situation were more top guys fight other top guys
If there was a 165 divison, scrap 170 and make 175.

I have good arguments against new weight classes

-Casuals can't remember more than 4 names
-Casuals want to have one world champion due to professional wrestling having single world champion

That's pretty much it.

If you're in between 2 divisions, diet down or put on muscle. Problem solved?

More divisions wont stop fighters from doing dangerous weight cuts and it will make an ugly mess of the entire roster. Pls god make this go away.

guys like kelvin are too big for 1 and too small for another.....

He is not too big for WW, it's his dieting choices.

Theres a difference between cutting to get in shape (done during the course of a training camp) and cutting water weight (done right before a fight).

If they make 175 the new welterweight and eliminate 170 it makes sense.

At this point I feel more weight classes in the UFC would only either be for a SHW division, or simply to have more champions to push.

Other than that I don't think the men's or women's division is currently so deep that additional divisions are necessary.

Ohhhh, please no!

(Actually, fck yeah!)

Oh, it would be terrible. But it would also be extremely entertaining. It would be interesting to see what some of those big girls on youtube brawls could do with a little bit of training and no hair pulling. It would be terrible for the sport, but I'd watch the shit out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back