Good move by UFC to put Jimi Manuwa on UFC 214

ironball

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Lets say god forbid DC or Jones pulls out...

we get to see either DC vs Manuwa or Jones vs Manuwa. Aka the show can go on and we still get to see a champion/#1 contender face another top contender and preserve the main event.

Many cards in the past have been totally fucked last minute, particularly high stakes title-fights, because a suitable replacement wasn't available. At UFC 200 they managed to get Anderson Silva in which was crazy in retrospect.

But most get MERKED due to last minute injury with no replacement... notably:

Amanda Nunes vs Valentina (day of fight)
Cain Velasquez vs Fabricio Werdum at UFC 207 (1 day before fight)
DC vs Rumble at UFC 206 (except Rumble opted to wait instead of fight Mousasi)
Tony Ferguson vs Khabib (Tony didn't want a paycut but still)

I know there's more examples I cant name at the top of my head but, UFC made the (extremely obvious) move to have Manuwa on the card just in case
<{titihmm}><Dana05>

Gotta think thats why the moved Sara McManns fight to UFC 215 as well

It should standard operating procedure for the UFC to book another top contender fight in champiobs division on any card. It also helps line the champion and his next challenger's schedule up for the next title fight.

The thing is though...

Late replacement fights tend to suck. Neither guy has trained specifically for the other. Like Cormier vs Silva.

And, in the UFC if overlook anybody. You're way too confident, and just beggin to catch a beating ( Yes, Rockhold I do mean YOU ).

I'd much prefer the original fight. To any late replacement. For this fight, anyway.

Jon Jones wont even fight MWs on short notice...

oIM12.png

<36>

Jones won't fight manuwa on that short notice ,no chance in hell

They will be hoping he wins so he gets a shot at jones if he wins

If Cormier wins you'd imagine there will be a dc vs Jones 3 unless dc retires

Dana hedges his bets, .... counting on main events is gambling.

Back