Jon Jones should open up a round with a flying knee...

ironball

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Here is why

Jon Jones
1) Jon Jones is much taller and (likely) has the reach to land it without eating an overhand counter (less risky for him)
2) Jones usually crawls out and slowly stands up so it would be a total opposite to what he normally does (unpredictable)
3) Jones has great TDD and scrambles so even if he totally botches the knee, he can likely pop right back up (he can stand back up if he fails)
4) Jon Jones has landed a flying knee in the opening seconds before against Shogun
(proven successful technique)
2yocx0g.gif

Daniel Cormier
1) Daniel Cormier always runs straight out aggressively, and will do the same fueled by his emotions (run right into the knee)
2) Daniel Cormier does NOT want to get taken down, and will drop his hands to defend expecting a double-leg (drop levels to sprawl)
3) Daniel Cormier was (allegedly) KO'd in sparring by a flying knee from Mike Kyle, and dropped by a Gustafsson knee (susceptible to knee strikes)
sGpFwmv.gif

Seems like a low risk scenario for Jones considering the size discrepancy plus the mystery of how he's going to look coming into this fight and what improvements he has made to his striking/gameplan. Normally strikers who throw flying knees have to worry about being taken down, but Jones is like Romero in a sense that he gets away with unorthodox striking cause of his sick wrestling defense and ability to pop back up right away

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Or DC sidesteps, grabs him out of the air, and ground and pounds the shit out of Jones in the middle of the octagon.

Would not advise that.

Or DC sidesteps, grabs him out of the air, and ground and pounds the shit out of Jones in the middle of the octagon.

Would not advise that.
If you think dc can do that then you're delusional.

Would not advise that.

Normally I would agree, but Jones has shown that he can easily neutralize and get up from Cormiers takedowns, especially when there both fresh in the first round. If it was say, Frank Mir throwing a flying knee on Brock Lesnar, or Carlos Condit on GSP, where they would be held down the rest of the round, it's much more risky. But for someone like Jones who is so good at TDD and wrestling, proven against Cormier, it's less likely that Cormier side steps and GnP's him.

Jones can get back up, and isn't afraid of being taken down, which is why he gets away with so much unorthodox striking shit on the feet

Normally I would agree, but Jones has shown that he can easily neutralize and get up from Cormiers takedowns, especially when there both fresh in the first round. If it was say, Frank Mir throwing a flying knee on Brock Lesnar, or Carlos Condit on GSP, where they would be held down the rest of the round, it's much more risky. But for someone like Jones who is so good at TDD and wrestling, proven against Cormier, it's less likely that Cormier side steps and GnP's him

You might be right, but doing a takedown from that position (basically grabbing someone out of the air) has a different dynamic, also Jones would not be able to escape by wallwalking. I dunno.. it might work but again i would not advise it.

This never happen in ufc.not even the best counter striker can do that but somehow dc can?

I've seen enough in MT.. problem is they get stand up again.. but ok, it is not the most plausible outcome, agreed. Just don't see why Jones should take that risk.

How epic would it be if Jones makes his return to the octagon with an EPIC Flying Knee KO 3 seconds into the first round, breaking the record for fasted KO ever.. totally plausible scenario IMO
4uclfa.gif

2yocx0g.gif

Aldo_GIF_Swanson_1.gif

Makwan Amirkhani did it to Andy Ogle 4 seconds into their fight too

tumblr_m89vjilwoN1ry1rm7o3_r1_250.gif

Remember what white Fedor did to a flying knee, what the hell do you think Black Fedor will do?

He only just missed one last time.

It's in my AV.

Sound like TS want give DC his best chance of win

tumblr_m89vjilwoN1ry1rm7o3_r1_250.gif

Back