If Cormier vs Jones 2

Mikey Palangio

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
doesn't do 1M or better PPVs, I don't want to hear hardcore MMA fans tell me that their sport is relevant and popular. HAHAHA

If this fight makes less than 1M PPV, every time I see a thread title like "MMA is the most popular sport and blah blah" I will enter the thread and just laugh at the TS.

If the fans won't even bother to watch the best 2 guys in a non-manlet division fight, then the sport's fan base ain't worth shit, and subsequently the sport ain't worth shit, because the fans are the driving force behind the success of any sport/art.

I know some people will be streaming, and that's okay. But relevant sports have large fan bases willing to spend money to watch the contests. People will work and budget to watch the contest. A-list sports have fan bases large enough to overcome the streamers. The streamers are just future potential customers.

If mma doesn't have a fan base that is willing to spend money to watch the number 1 and number 2 guy in a non-manlet division fight, then the mma fanbase just sucks, and is not financially sustainable for the sport.

With the last PPV doing less than 200k, I highly doubt this does anywhere near 1 mill buys.

I'm thinking probably around the 700-800k range.

I don't think it does near 1 mil buys.

PPV is pretty much dying unless theres a star fighting (ronda, brock, conor, etc.).

Last edited:
Nobody cares what you don't want to hear or what bothers you

Extremely excited for the card but I'll watch it at the bar. I've paid for far to many substandard cards the past few years to give them any more $.

Kind of why I don't get WTF Dana was doing letting Conor go fight Floyd. He will make what 50 million off that? Then he will tell the UFC he wants like a 20 mil guarantee or more to come back.

So, what is the future of mma?
What do you mean? PPV is just one way they make money, they are gonna get a new deal in 2019 (they want around 400-450 million per year for a major network deal). If that happens it'll be a huge factor for them, but if they can't get a great tv deal things could get interesting for WME.

Regardless, they're pretty much coasting, cost cutting, and doing the bare minimum until the new deal.

I want you to know
Why is it important for you to let me know that you exist?

To the rest of the people,
I post for those who love to argue and debate with a critically open mind, and don't take life and themselves too seriously.

I find it interesting that so many people are too mentally weak to ignore content that triggers their emotions so strongly.

I sift through the forum everyday, and I NEVER reply to any thread with an opinion I think is too stupid for my intelligence.

That is a high degree of self-awareness and conscious control of behavior. Some of you need to do real yoga and learn how to control your impulses.

A well balanced human being shouldn't be so easily triggered by a counter opinion. Especially, when he or she has full control to engage or ignore.

Humans are so interesting.

Kind of why I don't get WTF Dana was doing letting Conor go fight Floyd. He will make what 50 million off that? Then he will tell the UFC he wants like a 20 mil guarantee or more to come back.
I think they are only looking for short term goals at this stage. If by some amazing strategy and display of athleticism, Conor beats Mayweather, I think it will be the end of the UFC as we know it. They will not be able to control him, and future fighters that want the same.

The only explanation my limited knowledge can allow me is this, WME/IMG is trying to move away from this current "league" model in MMA. I think they want to have 3 or so big stars in each division, and just promote big events.

Like I stated in a previous thread, if you have stars like DC, Jones and Gustafosson, these three can fight each other over 3 or 5 years, and in between fighting each other, they can beat a couple of bums, with no threat of disrupting the trilogies, but if a bum somehow happens to be really talented, then that is a bonus, because he will replace one of the three when the rivalry becomes stale.

The current system of having 400+ fighters and trying to promote them all is not sustainable, and I think it is a waste of money.

The future of mma is a boxing model. Champions fighting champions in big events. A league is not sustainable if you are not willing to pay the fighters like other professional athletes.

What charlatan actually thinks MMA is the most popular sport?

What do you mean? PPV is just one way they make money, they are gonna get a new deal in 2019 (they want around 400-450 million per year for a major network deal). If that happens it'll be a huge factor for them, but if they can't get a great tv deal things could get interesting for WME. Regardless, they're pretty much coasting, cost cutting, and doing the bare minimum until the new deal.
I know they make money other than PPVs. However, PPVs do more than make them money. It is the time when people who are not plugged in the mma community get some mma exposure, because that is when the established stars of the UFC fight.

How long will fighters continue to be weak instead of fighting to get a bigger portion of all these TV deals and sponsorship deals?

The current batch of fighters are weak and scared, and would rather trust in trickle down economy, "If Conor makes a lot of money, maybe some of it will trickle down to us." Senseless.

The "league" model will not last forever unless the UFC decides to be less greedy and pay the fighters like other professional athletes (within reasonable limits).

It doesn't matter how many TV deals they get, I just don't see generation after generation of fighters just accepting to bend over and take it with "no vaseline."

Back