ABC passes four new weight divisions for MMA

Me&MrJones

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

Don't know what ABC is, also don't understand why you would have 175, does this mean 170 is done?

ABC is the Association of Boxing Commissions. Who knows if the UFC and/or individual state commissions will actually adopt these classes.

That's a lot of champ champs. Oh wait, only for Conor.

To be honest I've always thought the jump from 155 to 170 was a bit strange.

One thing about the extra weight classes is that there do seem to be guys that are just too small for one class but slightly too big for the class below it so...

If adding weight classes helps to make more exciting fights I'd be all for it.

Imagine how diluted the talent would be if they actually had all these weight classes
Lightweight and Welterweight is stacked so it'd be good to have 165 and 175 if 170 goes. Don't see why they would do 195 and 225.

If they introduce 225 division then the heavyweight division needs to have its weight restriction removed.

it's for weight cutting. one of the new suggestions along with weight monitoring to put fighters in their "natural" divs. it's not a bad thing if those other suggestions pass and commissions are all aboard at a similar time, but more divs alone won't solve the cutting issue.

It was done for the weight cutting issues, Carlos Newton just spoke about yesterday to the panel iirc. Dpoubt they'll be adopted by the big org's anytime soon, good to see it done though.

I don't think the UFC needs more weight classes.

But I do think this is a great opportunity for another promotion to start having these weight classes the UFC doesn't offer.

1200px-New_abc_gold.svg.png

165 means Khalabeeb can have his tiramisu and eat it too

If they introduce 225 division then the heavyweight division needs to have its weight restriction removed.
The 265 weight restriction is the silliest thing ever. Imagine seeing guys like The Mountain compete? Having Giants fight would sell bonkers and I've heard of a lot of these 400lb strong men that want to come over to MMA but can't because of the weight restrictions. And even with Giants, skill kills, as evidenced by Cro Cop destroying a 400lber recently.

Back