Jones vs DC 1 wasn't close

Threetrees

He/Him
@plutonium
Reaction score
4 rounds to 1 Jon Jones

The 1 round DC won could be given to Jones as well
None of the rounds Jones won could be convincingly argued for Daniel Cormier, there's one that you could make an argument but it'd be a bad one

Not only did Jones win early by being the better striker and wrestler, he won late by being bigger and stronger and faster with better cardio and a longer reach. He toyed with DC and threw him around.

The physical, strategic, and tactical advantages all belonged to Jon Jones, Cormier's best round was the same round where he got kneed and kicked to the body and he ended up blowing his wad. What Cormier can say is that he wasn't truly broken by Jones and he won two moral victories in the fight, he punched Jones in a face a lot in round 2, and he got a takedown(ish) in round 5. But neither of those things brought him close to winning the fight. Jones won almost every moment.

If Jon Jones comes into the cage at something close to 100% of what he was during the first fight, he'll run through Daniel Cormier and make it look easy UNLESS DC has made massive adjustments to his footwork, stamina, and strategy.

If DC wins, even if Jones is something lesser than what we know, he truly is an all time great because he's facing a guy who is better than him everywhere except in pure toughness and grit. And even that is probably about even.

People are building this fight into something it's probably not going to be, though I too hope it is and I'll be happy if I'm wrong. Jones has always been a vastly superior fighter to Daniel Cormier in almost every single way. He showed it the first time... and he'll probably show it again.

Even if Daniel Cormier is better everywhere than he was last time, the simple difference in age and physical ability along with reach and height make this an almost impossible task

I had DC winning 1 round and very close to winning another round.

I had DC winning 1 round and very close to winning another round.
Which isn't close.
The round he won, it could be argued that Jones gave away to invest in body shots
And the three rounds that he lost on everybodies scorecards were barely competitive. Daniel Cormier had to fight almost perfectly just to stay afloat against Jones, and once he tired and got sloppy he was getting sonned.

Rounds were competitive 1-3 but Jones easily could have won 5-0..

When I watched in real time, I thought 3-2 Jones, and considered it a close fight.

Rewatched it a few weeks ago, and realized Jones had a lot more advantages than I remembered, and it wasn't a close fight. You can call it a competitive fight, but not close.

Jones used a lot more tools, managed distance better, had better fight IQ, and even when they were both fresh, was the more physical athlete. Down the stretch it was also clear Jones had better wind.

The reason the rematch is up in the air is we have no reason to believe Jones is well prepared, considering he's had a history of turning his personal life into a dumpster fire at any time. Second to that, of course, DC is a competitor. He is as game as it gets, and freaky talented in his own right. If Jones makes a mistake, he'll capitalize.

Can't wait for this fight.

Last edited:
Round 1 is clearly Jones but not a runaway and very competitive
Round 2 is DC's round
Round 3 is Jones round but its narrow and DC was winning until the eye poke
Round 4 is Jones round but not a 10-8 or anything that resembles total dominance
Round 5 is Jones round but had DC gotten on top after dumping Jones he probably takes the round, it was largely uneventful.

Really DC wasn't that far from winning the fight on the score cards, round 3 was fairly close and round 5 is such a nothing round that DC easily could have stole it with a takedown.

Jones round 4 is pretty overstated in terms of dominance, its not Round 4 from GSP Hendricks

seems like this thread/argument has been done once or twice before... :rolleyes:

Fax

The only people that see it as close are those over-analyzing it to the point of where they start to see what they want to see.

Gus X Jones is what a close fight looks like

Round 2 was definitely DC's round. I don't understand how Jones could have won that one. I thought Round 3 was also Cormier's.

Jones clearly won 1, 4, and 5. It can be argued he won Round 3. I thought it was a competitive fight, especially the first 3 rounds. Jones was tagged with plenty of uppercuts.

Which isn't close.
The round he won, it could be argued that Jones gave away to invest in body shots
And the three rounds that he lost on everybodies scorecards were barely competitive. Daniel Cormier had to fight almost perfectly just to stay afloat against Jones, and once he tired and got sloppy he was getting sonned.

I find it really hard to say that Round 1 wasn't competitive. It's a clear Jones round but DC did have quite a bit of success during that round. Also Round 5 was extremely lackluster.

Round 2 was definitely DC's round. I don't understand how Jones could have won that one. I thought Round 3 was also Cormier's.

Jones clearly won 1, 4, and 5. It can be argued he won Round 3. I thought it was a competitive fight, especially the first 3 rounds. Jones was tagged with plenty of uppercuts.
You could give Jones round...2 or 3, I get them mixed up, on the strength of his body attack
I wouldn't but you could make the argument that his body knees and kicks were the cleanest hardest offense of the round.

But I wouldn't.

But the greater point here is that yes, the fight was competitive, but it wasn't particularly close. At least not in my opinion. There were no great momentum swings, Jones starting winning, it got close, then Jones pulled away. There was maybe about a minute where you thought DC/Jones were even, but never did I get the impression that DC was on his way to cleanly winning the fight. And then he slowed down so drastically and dramatically that Jones pulled away.

DC was a broken man by the end of Round 3. He didn't win a single round. Did he have minor successes? Yes.

He fought his best to no avail. Now he is 2 years older at 38. The weight-cuts are hellish. When you have belly fat, and your cheeks are already beginning to become sunken, you know it is a tough weight cut.

DC is in trouble, if Jon Jones performs.

It was close until Jones started holding DC's gloves/wrists to prevent the uppercuts in the clinch. After he neutralized DC through cheating, he started to gain momentum and took over the fight.

I find it really hard to say that Round 1 wasn't competitive. It's a clear Jones round but DC did have quite a bit of success during that round. Also Round 5 was extremely lackluster.
In round 1, which was closer than rounds 4 or 5, there's no argument that DC won it. He stayed in there and was scrappy, but like you said it was a clear cut Jones round

it was close

I think people have the impression it wasn't because Cormier took the 4th off and Jones clowned him in it, and that's the most memorable moment(s) of the fight.

but I feel Cormier won half of the first, all of the second, half of the third
So 'under the right circumstances' that could have had him 3 rounds up. As it was, I gave it 2/1 to Jones (as did the judges) because I thought Jones's 'half' of the rounds was slightly more decisive, but not by much. With only small adjustments it could have been a different story.
Also momentum was with Cormier until the eyepoke

it was close

I think people have the impression it wasn't because Cormier took the 4th off and Jones clowned him in it, and that's the most memorable moment(s) of the fight.

but I feel Cormier won half of the first, all of the second, half of the third
So 'under the right circumstances' that could have had him 3 rounds up. As it was, I gave it 2/1 to Jones (as did the judges) because I thought Jones's 'half' of the rounds was slightly more decisive, but not by much. With only small adjustments it could have been a different story.
Also momentum was with Cormier until the eyepoke
<mma4>

Good rebuttal
I disagree, but I see your argument

But not on fight week :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
People post that it wasn't close like every two hours.
Fuck it... no convincing argument will change anything that has happened, which also won't change what's going to happen.
We got a few days, and whatever will be will be.
But even Jones said the fight was "fairly competitive/even for the first three rounds"
but even that doesn't really matter now. One or both of them may not even be the same guy anymore (in the cage).

It was a close but clear fight.

Most rounds were competitive.

I actually think people have forgotten how close it was.

Back