Pat Miletich believes Robbie Lawler is in ‘no-win situation’ against Donald Cerrone

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score

Former UFC welterweight champion Robbie Lawler will square off with Donald Cerrone on Saturday at UFC 214. It’s a clash of fan favorites which has been eagerly anticipated since the idea was initially floated for UFC 205last November.

One of the few not hopping on this fight’s bandwagon, though, is Pat Miletich. The UFC Hall of Famer was Lawler’s first trainer in the sport and the duo remain friends to this day.

“Robbie will fight anyone,” Miletich said on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour. “It’s up to the management to figure that part out and say ‘no, we’re not taking that fight. Not happening.’”

“Robbie went through a two-year run of fighting constantly and beating the baddest dudes on the planet in that weight division. At a rate that was unbelievable. He was fighting the baddest dudes and beating people and having absolute wars with guys.”

"You get done doing that and he finally gets to the Woodley fight and I said to Matt Hughes at the time and I said ‘Matt, make sure he gets out of that first round with Woodley, man.’ Because Tyron is so explosive early on in a fight that he can put anybody away. That's a scary, scary man when he hits you solid or starts hitting doubles on you and stuff. Robbie didn’t make it out of the first round, he got clipped and put away. That was after that run he went through, the roller coaster for each camp and each fight, it's very difficult on the mind and the body to do that, and it’s amazing that he pulled it off.”

“Donald Cerrone is a dangerous guy. He’s proven to be dangerous over and over again. What does Robbie gain by beating him? If I’m Robbie’s manager, I would have never let that fight happen. I’m not saying Robbie’s going to get beat by him, but its just, Cerrone is a dangerous, dangerous dude. He hits hard. He kicks hard. He’s versatile. He’s great on the ground. The guy is no joke. He’s world class and he has been for years. He’s world class. If they had said, these are your choices, [I’d say] take Cerrone off that list right now. That’s a no-win situation.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...is-in-no-win-situation-against-donald-cerrone

Personally, I think Robbie could knock cowboy off his horse.

Hopefully Robbie's year off has helped him recover.

The guy went through a gaunlet of insane fights.

Not to worry Pat, Robbie get it done

I always say I'm happy Robbie took this pause after that KO. I wish Cerrone stayed resting a bit longer too but what can you do.

Robbie doesn't have much to gain from this fight but the fans are 100% on it.

He's not wrong. But I'm glad Lawler is more worried about fighting and less about "legacies" like Miletich is suggesting he should be.

I totally disagree! Cerrone is a well known, highly liked fighter who puts on exciting fights. I think Lawler is a big favorite here and a win puts him on the right track in the minds of the fans.

A no win would be fighting a young guy on the way up that no one knows about. Which is probably what he'll get if he loses this one.

Last edited:
It'll be a banger and is a fight for the fans. Fuck off Miletich.

I love Cerrone but he starts slow and seems to take shots early. Not a good thing when fighting Lawler. Cerrone needs to be moving and leg kicking early and get this outta the first round imo.

It'll be a banger and is a fight for the fans. Fuck off Miletich.
Seriously lol...

l.gif

Robbie is bad matchup for Cerrone but I agree in the sense that Cerrone is super dangerous and one headkick could sleep Lawler

I don't understand Pat's reasoning here. A win makes Lawler the consensus choice for the next title shot. He'd be the only fighter in the WW top 5 on a winning streak.

Pat is worried about his friend. It's normal. Robbie can definitely hold his own against Cerrone, and this fight makes a lot of sense for him after his last loss.

I disagree, Lawler has a lot to gain with a dominant win. I think it puts him back in title contention.

Disagree. If anything, more newly ex-champs should take comeback fights vs mid-ranking opponents to build themselves back up *cough* Weidman *cough*

I totally disagree! Cerrone is a well known, highly liked fighter who puts on exciting fights. I think Lawler is a big favorite here and a win puts him on the right track in the minds of the fans.

A no win would be fighting a young guy on the way up that no one knows about. Which is probably what he'll get if he loses this one.
It's a win for the fight fans, for sure. As a manager, I see what he is saying though as far as risk/reward (ranking) standpoint though. But Im pumped to see it as we all are! Much respect to both dudes.

Pat is exaggerating a bit. The fight is Robbie's to lose.

All Robbie has to do is live up to the moniker "god of violence" and bully Cerrone, and Cerrone will fold.

Hope Pat finishes the Leadville 100 before he gets too old.

Back