All the reasons why Pride was better than UFC!

crofighter

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
All the reasons why Pride was better than UFC:

No testing = even playing field, fair and square...everyone could take whatever they wanted and there were no cheaters there like there are in the UFC, with some taking PEDs and getting away with it...plus you were getting better fights and fighters fought more frequently

Rules...soccer kicks and stomps with no elbows, no passive fighting, yellow cards...much better and more realistic rules that do not favor wrestlers like unified mma(UFC) rules do...even the gloves were better because they were better covered and the wasn't so many eye pokes...much more entertaining fights

103013-UFC-Pride-TV-Pi3_20131030192052366_660_3201.jpg

Judges and judging criteria...Pride had their own judges who knew what they are doing and not this ridiculous judges that make mistakes all the time that even goof Dana criticises all the time...plus that ridiculous inconsistent 10 point sistem...Pride judged the fights like they are supposed to...damage and domination through whole fight

Ring...much better than octagon...the only flaw was falling out of the ring but there are ways to fix this...there was no running like there is in UFC and you could corner people...more dynamic and more action packed fights in ring

Events and production...so much higher level...UFC's standard for quality events is like 15k in attendance, while Pride's was like +40k...not to mention all the production, entrances, fireworks etc...every Pride event felt uniqe and special while UFC events are all the same and they feel so stale...

JMMA-696x464.jpg

Smaller roster was also much better thing...you could see best fighters fighting all the time while in the UFC majority of fight cards consist of anonymous and no names that 98% of people dont care about

No Reebok sponsorship and shit like that...every fighter felt like unique superhero and not like some stale power ranger in uniform like in UFC...

UFC and UFC fans are hypocrites...they criticised Pride for freak show fights and UFC does them all the time...
rs-cm-punk-e9804cf3-ac74-4f34-9963-afa5138d24bf.jpg

lesnar_jones32322332.jpg

and lol at this fight that is supposedly planned...i mean its okay to me but dont ever shit on Pride because of freak show fights ever again...

I see a lot of shertards recently don't appreciate Pride the way they should...Hope Rizin becomes major player in today's mma landscape although i realise its unlikely

Dont get me wrong, i like the UFC also but its because its MMA and its sad because it could be on greater level

Pride was the golden age of MMA.

Because the internet wasn't where it is now.

Just sayin.

Oh, and did I say fuck PRIDE...

There's no question that PRIDE was better than UFC. PRIDE actually felt like a real sport and was much more fascinating to watch. Way better rules, production, announcer, commentators, the whole nine yards.

The only single thing I would have changed about PRIDE was I would have added elbows, both regular and 12-6. Otherwise, it was near-perfect.

UFC fucking blows by comparison. So many boring ass fights. It just doesn't even begin to compare.

All the reasons why Pride was better than UFC:

No testing = even playing field, fair and square...everyone could take whatever they wanted and there were no cheaters there like there are in the UFC, with some taking PEDs and getting away with it...plus you were getting better fights and fighters fought more frequently

Rules...soccer kicks and stomps with no elbows, no passive fighting, yellow cards...much better and more realistic rules that do not favor wrestlers like unified mma(UFC) rules do...even the gloves were better because they were better covered and the wasn't so many eye pokes...much more entertaining fights

103013-UFC-Pride-TV-Pi3_20131030192052366_660_3201.jpg

Judges and judging criteria...Pride had their own judges who knew what they are doing and not this ridiculous judges that make mistakes all the time that even goof Dana criticises all the time...plus that ridiculous inconsistent 10 point sistem...Pride judged the fights like they are supposed to...damage and domination through whole fight

Ring...much better than octagon...the only flaw was falling out of the ring but there are ways to fix this...there was no running like there is in UFC and you could corner people...more dynamic and more action packed fights in ring

Events and production...so much higher level...UFC's standard for quality events is like 15k in attendance, while Pride's was like +40k...not to mention all the production, entrances, fireworks etc...every Pride event felt uniqe and special while UFC events are all the same and they feel so stale...

JMMA-696x464.jpg

Smaller roster was also much better thing...you could see best fighters fighting all the time while in the UFC majority of fight cards consist of anonymous and no names that 98% of people dont care about

No Reebok sponsorship and shit like that...every fighter felt like unique superhero and not like some stale power ranger in uniform like in UFC...

UFC and UFC fans are hypocrites...they criticised Pride for freak show fights and UFC does them all the time...
rs-cm-punk-e9804cf3-ac74-4f34-9963-afa5138d24bf.jpg

lesnar_jones32322332.jpg

and lol at this fight that is supposedly planned...i mean its okay to me but dont ever shit on Pride because of freak show fights ever again...

I see a lot of shertards recently don't appreciate Pride the way they should...Hope Rizin becomes major player in today's mma landscape although i realise its unlikely

Dont get me wrong, i like the UFC also but its because its MMA and its sad because it could be on greater level

Pride was the golden age of MMA.

There were a ton of great things about Pride but the very same things that ppl rip into the UFC for , like freak shows. Pride did way more.

Giant silva?
Zulu?
Masked wrestlers
U name it all the freaks shows were given a go in Pride and fed to killers like Crop cop, Fedor and Silva.

Please take your rose colored glasses off. Pride was awesome but it was way more WWE than UFC ever was.

There was so much less Diva shit from the pride fighters
Say what you want about the theatrics but it was mostly you fight who THEY put in front of you period.

You hear that Bisping/Woodley?

Openweight fights were awesome too.

And people that knock on the freakshow fights need to take off their shit colored glasses. It happened, sure, but you still had the best fighting the best. The freakshow stuff was sprinkled throughout, but it was all just apart of the overall show. It provided extra entertainment that the fans there ate up. But either with or without it, PRIDE was still vastly better than UFC.

UFC has a great stable of fighters, but the production, rules, announcer, commentators, general feel of the shows, etc, are all fucking garbage by comparison.

You have two examples of freakshow fights that are done "all the time", one was CM punk's first and only fight and the other doesn't exist.

You can't really compare that to letting Bob Sapp run over 170 pounders.

I still laugh at people saying pride was more dirty than the ufc

I have a feeling that MMA was more mainstream back than.

Where I come from everyone watched it.

When CC lost to Randleman, the next day everybody talked about it. The anticipation to CC/Fedor fight was insane.

Now people barely mention it, or only in the context of the May/Mac fight.

Honestly the biggest thing missing is the tourneys. People got super excited about Strikeforce having a tourney.

Tourneys would absolutely kick arse, TUF has lasted so long because it is kinda like a tourney so people like it even though the fighters suck.

Bring back tourneys! Bellator should do a few.

Rules : knees on the ground and soccer kicks
10 min round
yellow and red cards for inaction

Public : quiet most of the time, you can hear the impacts and the corners instructions
no boos during grappling sequences (hardly any boos at all)
no USA USA chants

Ring : better view of the action, altought it also has drawbacks

Production : better production entrance, THE CRAZY PRIDE LADY announcing
better commentators, bas and mauro instead of joe and the dumb guy that got fired (this is getting better now, so It soon might not be relevant anymore)

Fairness : there might have been no steroid testing, bur UFC is full of steoids anyway, does freak matchups too and blatantly favors some fighters over others.

Format : the grand prix are a real sport tournament (regardless of whether they fight more than once per stage), as
you cannot cheat the matchups, instead of letting champs choose their contenders like in the UFC

why do I watch you might ask ? well as a long time MMA, I need to watch some MMA, it's like you got to eat, and when the fine restaurant in your neighbourhood closes, you still got to eat so you go to mcdonalds (UFC)

There's no question that PRIDE was better than UFC. PRIDE actually felt like a real sport and was much more fascinating to watch. Way better rules, production, announcer, commentators, the whole nine yards.

The only single thing I would have changed about PRIDE was I would have added elbows, both regular and 12-6. Otherwise, it was near-perfect.

UFC fucking blows by comparison. So many boring ass fights. It just doesn't even begin to compare.

Pride had some boring fights too.
I remember watching Renzo hug some Japanese guy against the cage for every single moment of 20 minutes.

For me, it's the Unified Rules and judging criteria.
There are so many fighters trying SO hard to win majority of rounds, 10-9.
All the idiotic strategy that goes into it...surprise TD's which serve no purpose in the fight, IN-"significant strikes", cage hugging, baby leg kicks, trying to look busy.....can't stand any of it.
I hate hearing about Fightmetric, and hate discussions on why one guy won a fight by barely winning 2/3 rounds.
I also hate seeing marginal rounds scored 10-9, while a round with a clear winner is also 10-9.
And I hate the idea that Fighter X was "winning" 95% of the fight (by looking busy w 10-9 strategy), gets absolutely destroyed for 5% of the fight, but still somehow gets the W.

Ahhh no one mourns PRIDE more than a Murko nut hugger. Lol

For OBVIOUS reasons.

Because they had cheaters and a dumb screaming lady? Soooooooo much better.....

Not sure they treated fighters better, but they definitely invested in the legend of the fighter much more. I also enjoyed the judging, rule set, and production much more. Shit, I think even Fight Nights Global has better production than the UFC.

Back