This Is How Being From A Not So Relevant Country

Mikey Palangio

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Helps Conor McGregor. He is the only current global star from a not so relevant country, so many of the people of that country will rally around him.

In the USA, you have to do a lot more to gain sustainable pop culture visibility, because you are competing with movie stars, quarterbacks, country singers, pop singers, reality stars, basketball players, baseball players, nascar drivers, puritan religious ideologies, 50 states with different cultures, racial/ethnic diversity and etc

You really have to be exceptional to overcome all this.

Guys like Conor and GSP come from countries that are not as relevant on the world map, so it is a little easier for them to get that "whole country behind them" push.

Also, looking like the average citizen of a not so relevant country doesn't hurt. If Conor was black Irish or if GSP was black Canadian, let us be honest, they would lose some of their appeal.

I didn't know yellow cards could still make threads.

Interesting..

Helps Conor McGregor. He is the only current global star from a not so relevant country, so many of the people of that country will rally around him.

In the USA, you have to do a lot more to gain sustainable pop culture visibility, because you are competing with movie stars, quarterbacks, country singers, pop singers, reality stars, basketball players, baseball players, nascar drivers, puritan religious ideologies, 50 states with different cultures, racial/ethnic diversity and etc

Guys like Conor and GSP come from countries that are not as relevant on the world map, so it is a little easier for them to get that "whole country behind them" push.

Also, looking like the average citizen of a not so relevant country doesn't hurt. If Conor was black Irish or if GSP was black Canadian, let us be honest, they would lose some of their appeal.

Wrong, IF Gsp was Black, he would be love the same way in Canada.

Canadian aren't racist bigot

Go post this sjw shit on Facebook instead of Sherdog and have your fellow cuck homies like the fuck out if it.

No being Irish helps McGregor as there are lots of people in the US who claim to be Irish.
If he was French or Danish (just picked at random) it would be different.

Conor has only fought once for the UFC in Ireland so having the Irish behind him doesn't really matter and the Irish don't pay for PPVs they get them all as part of a sports package.

If Conor was black and Irish it wouldn't make any difference Paul McGrath is black and was captain of the Irish football team. If you're Irish you're Irish.

IDK, he has to compete with soccer which is fucking huge in Ireland

Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson, Oprah, Ali, Tiger Woods, Lebron, Beyonce....

America's biggest superstars are black while being only 12% of the population.

No being Irish helps McGregor as there are lots of people in the US who claim to be Irish.
If he was French or Danish (just picked at random) it would be different.

Conor has only fought once for the UFC in Ireland so having the Irish behind him doesn't really matter and the Irish don't pay for PPVs they get them all as part of a sports package.

If Conor was black and Irish it wouldn't make any difference Paul McGrath is black and was captain of the Irish football team. If you're Irish you're Irish.
Very good counter argument. The Irish diaspora plays a significant role in his global popularity.

That can't be ignore. However, your point and my point are not mutually exclusive.

IDK, he has to compete with soccer which is fucking huge in Ireland
Soccer may be bigger than MMA in Ireland, but that doesn't mean it is huge. I was in Ireland in May 2017, and I didn't get the sense that soccer was "huge."

Go to Ireland, I did....hardly anyone gives a shit about MMA or Conor.

' Why is Ireland not relevant? Conor is not my favourite for many reasons brought on by marketing efforts of UFC crap machine, but you cannot call Ireland irrelevant in no way. WE ARE ALL ONE! - Kenny Florian '
- Tze

Very good counter argument. The Irish diaspora plays a significant role in his global popularity.

That can't be ignore. However, your point and my point are not mutually exclusive.

Well here's another one then.

If half the population of New York city get behind a fighter and support them that pretty much the same as if the entire population of Ireland does. If half of the population of the New York metro area supports a fighter that over double the entire population of Ireland.

And as to the race do you know anything about the Irish Taoiseach (their Prime Minister government leader)? He's gay and has an Indian immigrant father and white Irish mother so again, I really don't think they'd have problems supporting a black fighter.

Fuck off.....
Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson, Oprah, Ali, Tiger Woods, Lebron, Beyonce....
America's biggest superstars are black while being only 12% of the population.

In my original statement I stated "You really have to be exceptional to overcome all this." Jon Jones really dropped the ball. He could have been the Kobe Bryant of MMA.

In America, it doesn't matter your race, you have to be exceptional. The White race is just a cherry on top.

A White American with Conor's record would not be fighting Mayweather in August 26th. He wouldn't have that global following and interest.

Americans love people with exceptional accomplishments. Conor's record is a "paper champ" record.

Marcus Brimage (not even in the UFC), Diego Brendao (is he still in the UFC?), Dustin Poirier (a journey man getting KO'd every other fight and quitting), Max Holloway (he was 3-2 in the UFC, but proved to be a prospect who lived to his potential), Denis Siver (come on, now. HAHAHA). Chad Mendes (2 weeks notice). Nate Diaz (Respectable fighter). Jose Aldo (respectable fighter). Eddie Alvarez (3-1 in the UFC, a journeyman, regardless of what hardcore MMA fans think of him).

An Irish-American with this record would not have the world eating from his palm of his hands. That is a "paper champ" record.

But fair play to Conor, he played the card the UFC gave him, and he played them well. It is not an easy thing to do.

Back