Rafael dos Anjos vs Neil Magny Added to UFC 215 (Poll)

Who Wins?

• Total voters

CC27

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/l...-clarke-added-to-ufc-215-card-at-rogers-place

With tickets set to go on sale for the Sept. 9 UFC 215 card this week — more on that in a minute — the promotion revealed two new matchups to Postmedia on Wednesday.

Most intriguing is a welterweight bout between Neil Magny and former lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos. It’s a fight that could have major implications for the 170-pond division moving forward.

The other matchup: Edmonton’s Mitch Clarke will return to the octagon to fight American Alex White.

After losing the UFC’s 155-pound title to Eddie Alvarez during International Fight Week last year, and then dropping a close-fought followup to Tony Ferguson, dos Anjos moved up to welterweight and looked impressive in his debut, outlasting Tarec Saffiedine and earning a unanimous decision victory in June.

For his part, Magny’s name was very much in discussion for a title shot after he rattled off three straight wins in the leadup to a loss to Lorenz Larkin last summer. He bounced back in impressive fashion by beating Johny Hendricks at UFC 207 last December.

Magny is currently ranked No. 6 in the division, while dos Anjos sits at No. 10. However, a win for either could conceivably launch them back into the top-five and see them fighting for a title shot in their next match.

Meanwhile, Clarke will get a chance to fight in front of an adoring hometown crowd.

The Edmontonian has been out of action since losing to Joe Duffy last July, but has put together a string of wins in the UFC that includes victories over Al Iaquinta and John Maguire.

In White, Clarke will be taking on a guy who has gone 2-3 in the UFC but made major headlines when he shocked many in the MMA community by beating Artem Lobov — Conor McGregor’s training partner, for those wondering — last year.

These two fights are being added to a deep card featuring a flyweight title fight between champion Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg, a women’s bantamweight title fight between Amanda Nunes and Valentina Shevchenko, as well as a blockbuster heavyweight matchup between Francis Ngannou and former champion Junior Dos Santos.

Tickets for UFC 215 go on sale to the general public on Friday, while the UFC newsletter pre-sale starts Thursday and the UFC Fight Club pre-sale begins Wednesday.

Good call. Interesting matchup.

MM/Borg
Nunes/Valentina
JDS/Ngannou
Magny/RDA
Gil/Stephens
Cejudo/Reis
Latifi/Pedro
Moras/Smith
Tucker/Glenn
Bhullar/Henrique
Johnson/Martins
Clarke/White

Wow. RDA is really going to have to close the distance in this one.

Good scrap. Rooting for RDA. He's a good dude.

Magny finally going to get catapulted into the top 5 after this.

Wait is this a 3 or 5 round fight?

Dunno why but I really want RDA to get back on track. Rooting for the guy.

RDA vs Nelson would have been better.

Gunnar just got KO'd, RDA is coming off a win over Tarec, who I think is a much better fighter than Gunnar.

This is a great fight, RDA will have to close the distance and land shots on the inside, or chop down Magny with some leg kicks.

Torn who to root for here, big fan of both of these guys. Just hope its a good scrap either way (which I can't imagine it not being)

Going with RDA on this one, Magny is good but from what I can see in RDA last fight he should be able to beat Magny.

Wow they wont look in the same weight class at all.

RDA wins. Lorenz Larkin took Magny's soul.

RDA is going to chop those skinny legs off and get a lot of takedowns. I definitely got him winning these one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back