Fighter's legacy

MMAGENIUS_1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
A lot of mma fighters like to talk about their legacy. Some even go so far as to compare themselves to Ali. MMA is the greatest sport in the world in my opinion, but still to this day most people in my real life couldn't care less about mma, while darn near anyone and everyone knows the names Ali and Tyson.

So while mma fighters speak about fighting for legacy and greatness, is this really how it will all turn out?

In 2057 will people talk about how great John Jones, Anderson Silva, GSP, etc was, or how silly mma was?

What say you Sherdog?

They will talk about the once in human history athlete, R3.

Time will tell. But good question. As far as my life tho it matters. Who knows. Someday this stuff may be banned. Or evolve into some thunderdome s#!+.

A lot of mma fighters like to talk about their legacy. Some even go so far as to compare themselves to Ali. MMA is the greatest sport in the world in my opinion, but still to this day most people in my real life couldn't care less about mma, while darn near anyone and everyone knows the names Ali and Tyson.

So while mma fighters speak about fighting for legacy and greatness, is this really how it will all turn out?

In 2057 will people talk about how great John Jones, Anderson Silva, GSP, etc was, or how silly mma was?

What say you Sherdog?
In 2057, nobody will care about today's fighters. Why?

Because they are NOT the best humans possible competing in the sport. I keep telling you folk in thread after thread, you need to look at the history of most mma fighters.

They failed in some other sport. Started doing wrestling to get to college. Went to college, didn't learn anything and didn't make the USA Olympic team. They are a little deliquent and love to fight. They don't want a 9-5 job. The UFC comes along, since they love to fight already, why not mma?

That is the most common story of mma fighters. Watch all the TUF seasons and mma interviews. It is a common theme for most fighters.

That is why they gas and can't perform at the highest level for more than 2 or 3 rounds. That is why easy to learn martial arts dominate, and so, the fans start to think the more complicated martial arts will never work. That is why a training camp has no less than 3 or 5 coaches e.g. boxing coach, wrestling coach, BJJ coach, and etc.

The day the sport reaches a point where a fighter only has (1) a mma coach and (2) strength and condition coach, and fighters can start to learn mma (not boxing, BJJ, Wrestling and muay thai) just mma, from the time they are 8 or 10 years old, we will see much better fighters.

Non of the fighters fighting today will be that revered in 50 years. If the sport continues to grow. We are not seeing the best humans mother nature has to offer, the best training methods have yet to be discoevered, and we don't even have a system that can be called "MMA." It is still boxer who do a little wrestling, BJJ guys who do a little boxing and etc.

We don't yet have MMA fighters.

In 2057, nobody will care about today's fighters. Why?

Because they are NOT the best humans possible competing in the sport. I keep telling you folk in thread after thread, you need to look at the history of most mma fighters.

They failed in some other sport. Started doing wrestling to get to college. Went to college, didn't learn anything and didn't make the USA Olympic team. They are a little deliquent and love to fight. They don't want a 9-5 job. The UFC comes along, since they love to fight already, why not mma?

That is the most common story of mma fighters. Watch all the TUF seasons and mma interviews. It is a common theme for most fighters.

That is why they gas and can't perform at the highest level for more than 2 or 3 rounds. That is why easy to learn martial arts dominate, and so, the fans start to think the more complicated martial arts will never work. That is why a training camp has no less than 3 or 5 coaches e.g. boxing coach, wrestling coach, BJJ coach, and etc.

The day the sport reaches a point where a fighter only has (1) a mma coach and (2) strength and condition coach, and fighters can start to learn mma (not boxing, BJJ, Wrestling and muay thai) just mma, from the time they are 8 or 10 years old, we will see much better fighters.

Non of the fighters fighting today will be that revered in 50 years. If the sport continues to grow. We are not seeing the best humans mother nature has to offer, the best training methods have yet to be discoevered, and we don't even have a system that can be called "MMA." It is still boxer who do a little wrestling, BJJ guys who do a little boxing and etc.

We don't yet have MMA fighters.

Are you serious? I guess they said the same thing to past players in the NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB. None of them are revered.

Are you serious? I guess they said the same thing to past players in the NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB. None of them are revered.
I was trying to keep the post as short as I could, because this topic demands longer posts, but most people have short attention spans.

There is the pundits perspective and the people's perspective. The pundits have to make themselves look like experts, so when they make their lists, they have to add athletes that were the best talents, when the sport didn't really have that much talent.

For example in basketball, they will put Bill Russel on their lists because they have to in order to look like experts of the sport.

However, if you ask the people, they don't care about Bill Russel's historical significance, they will just pick exceptional talent that dominated the league e.g. Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Hakim Olujuwon, Tim Duncan, Shaquille O'Neal, LeBron James and etc

The question of legacy is complicated. We don't really know what people will say in 40 years. But I believe that our current GOATs are not the best athletes that Earth has to offer.

I believe this because, "mma" has not yet been developed. It is still BJJ with a little boxing, Wrestling with a little muay thai, muay thai with some take down defense. Also, I believe the proper training methods have not yet been developed, because most fighters can't even fight past 2 rounds.

The best has yet to come. I am very hopeful that the future will produce much better fighters than today's fighters.

If what we are seeing is the peak of the sport, then the sport will die or turn into a circus.

Back