Jon Jones' starpower

Check-Hook

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've been more hyped for this rematch between DC and Jones than any other fight in history, but have been stunned recently, when talking with friends etc. about it, and finding that so many didn't even know it was coming up. Granted, these guys aren't exactly dedicated MMA fans, but a lot of them follow McGregor's every move so you'd think they would know.

It made me wonder how much star power Jones - whom I consider GOAT - really has. I took a look at some PPV numbers, and to my surprise, the first fight between DC and Jones is not among the best selling cards. With a PPV buyrate of 800.000 it doesn't even crack UFC's top 20. In comparison Conor has headlined five cards that did better than "Jones vs DC I" and four of these went top five. I know the UFC has become more way more popular over the years and this obviously has something to say, but still.

Now I didn't dive deeper than that, but do you guys have any real grasp of how much starpower Jones actually has? I mean, even if you don't consider him GOAT, he's definitely one of the most dominant fighter ever, he's creative and exciting in the octagon, mixes it up and is a good looking dude too. Sure a guy like that should be one of the biggest draws in the promotion.

So where do you think he ranks, in terms of sheer star power, in UFC history? Did his cards usually sell all right when compared to the other cards back then? And lastly, how well do you think Saturdays card will do and how much of an impact will Jones' participation on it have?

Oh yeah, btw.

WAR JON BONES JONES!!!

giphy.gif

This dude has daughters who are gonna be old enough soon to listen to this

Only fellow degenerate, drug addict, snitching, dishonest, punk losers are fans of Jones these days. His only star power is people will tune in to see him hopefully lose.

As a black fighter you have to get the black audience behind you like Floyd. White fighters are bigger draws in MMA because more of the MMA audience is white.

Only fellow degenerate, drug addict, snitching, dishonest, punk losers are fans of Jones these days. His only star power is people will tune in to see him hopefully lose.

Which is all I'm asking. How many are actually tuning in to this card because Jon is fighting on it? Hero or heel - I don't care. And also, how much of a sell did he used to be as the god-gifted sociopath acting as a choir-boy?

Hey!? Did you just call me a degenerate, drug addict, snitching, dishonest, punk loser?!

giphy.gif

As a black fighter you have to get the black audience behind you like Floyd. White fighters are bigger draws in MMA because more of the MMA audience is white.
uhm, i think jon jones has a huge white fan base. rampage does as well.

He isn't a star.

His stock dropped when the white man beated him up

Double post = gotten too

maxresdefault.jpg

Of course I'm gotten to? He called me a degenerate, drug addict, snitching, dishonest, punk loser. Didn't realise at first, but now I'm in a state between being absolutely triggered out of my fucking mind and genuinely hurt.

Jon knows he has his fanz, and he knowz he has his haters. Conor who was described as being a culture vulture is just doing that. I'm not hating on him for that I say make your money man, just find it a bit ironic the same thing people hate on Mayweather for they praise in Conor?

Jon has his true fan base and that will grow even further when some hater converts gonna say <{dayum}>he real good as they watch Bad Bones rip his belt back from DC's Popeye's chicken eating waistline

false. I like him because he preaches the law of attraction and still wins even though he doesn't train in between fights

Alot of ppl here still don't get it. There are the long time, or serious fans. There are the casual fans...

And, there is EVERYBODY ELSE. Everybody else doesn't know mma, and doesn't care. They don't know who Jones is. If they did. They'd probably think he was a lowlife.

This is still very much a niche thing. And with DW as the face of the UFC. It's not going to grow any bigger in the mainstream market.

The hype behind him has obviously died with casuals. He has fought once in almost 3 yrs. it will be interesting to see if he is still the same guy in the cage

Of course I'm gotten to? He called me a degenerate, drug addict, snitching, dishonest, punk loser. Didn't realise at first, but now I'm in a state between being absolutely triggered out of my fucking mind and genuinely hurt.
Now I'm fucking triggered! No way I sit idly by and watch as good people get called degenerate, drug addict, snitching, dishonest, punk losers on my beloved Sherdog Forum! Bullying is never cool! WAR 1punchko WAR!!!

Back