Accidental Eye Pokes...

Mikey Palangio

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When a fighter is trying to control you on the ground, why aren't more fighters using this?

I was watching the fights on the weekend, and I saw many opportunities for "accidental eye pokes" while the opponent is laying on top of you.

Accidental eye pokes are dirty, but not illegal. Fighters are allowed like 3 or 4 accidental eye pokes per round, so why not use them when they really count.

If you poke a guy who is on top of you, there is no way he is submitting you. His focus will be to scratch his eye, and his vision will be impaired. He will just lay on top to recover, and the referee will stand you or the bell will ring (in this case you will have an advantage, because it takes more than 5 minutes to recover from a proper eye poke).

When a fighter is trying to control you on the ground, why aren't more fighters using this?

I was watching the fights on the weekend, and I saw many opportunities for "accidental eye pokes" while the opponent is laying on top of you.

Accidental eye pokes are dirty, but not illegal. Fighters are allowed like 3 or 4 accidental eye pokes per round, so why not use them when they really count.

If you poke a guy who is on top of you, there is no way he is submitting you. His focus will be to scratch his eye, and his vision will be impaired. He will just lay on top to recover, and the referee will stand you or the bell will ring (in this case you will have an advantage, because it takes more than 5 minutes to recover from a proper eye poke).

You know what accidental means?

I got your point tho

Lol intentional accidental eye poke? Is this an oxymoron?

bushido-12-728.jpg

Intentional eye pokes aren't illegal either. No need to be subtle about it

Not everyone is ok with being a dirty fighter. Most people would rather lose than cheat or use underhanded tactics.

And most people are skilled enough where they can fight clean and still win.

In short, most people still have some semblance of honor and aren't fucking scumbags.

You know what accidental means?

I got your point tho
Whether I know what it means or not is not relevant. The only relevant factor is the referee's interpretation.

When a dude is on top of you throwing wild shots that don't even hit on target, and you are defending yourself, I don't believe a referee will even see an accidental eye poke in that scenario.

Also, sometimes the guy laying on top turns his head away from the referee's vantage point, in a nice position to be accidentally eye poked.

"Honor" is just a made up word like "love" "hate" "respect" and etc. It doesn't actually exist in the universe. It is a human social construct.

Honor means nothing without cultural context. If the cultural context is "by whatever means necessary" then doing "whatever is a necessary" is the "honorable" thing to do in that cultural context.

So, ultimately, being "dishonorable" for you could be considered "honorable" by somebody with a different world view. "Who is right, and who can tell, who gives a damn" Joy Division, Disorder.

Don't just believe bullshit words. Think for yourself.

I predict that jon will - if he makes it to the fight night - will have an accidental "eye poke" moment on DC.

Another shitty thread by you.

You're not good at this, alright.

rckstr.gif

"Honor" is just a made up word like "love" "hate" "respect" and etc. It doesn't actually exist in the universe. It is a human social construct.

Honor means nothing without cultural context. If the cultural context is "by whatever means necessary" then doing "whatever is a necessary" is the "honorable" thing to do in that cultural context.

So, ultimately, being "dishonorable" for you could be considered "honorable" by somebody with a different world view. "Who is right, and who can tell, who gives a damn" Joy Division, Disorder.

Don't just believe bullshit words. Think for yourself.

Well, I don't think I'm going to believe your bullshit words.

Where did you get "by whatever means necessary"?
Postmodernist moral relativism is retarded, and no one really believes it. It sounds nice and enlightened, until you try to live it, or you run into someone who does.

I often wonder if some of these "accidental" fouls are actually intentional. You're almost always going to get a warning, so why not knee your opponent in the balls or poke his eyes once. A good groin strike can completely change a fight

I often wonder if some of these "accidental" fouls are actually intentional. You're almost always going to get a warning, so why not knee your opponent in the balls or poke his eyes once. A good groin strike can completely change a fight
Fighters will exploit every advantage, so most eye pokes are not accidental. Some groin strikes are accidental because there is movement, but very few eye pokes are accdiental.

Especially now that there is a rule prohibiting extended fingers, so, if the rule is saying you are not allowed to extend your fingers towards the opponents face, if the referees sees that, that should be the warning. If you do it again, he can give you another warning, but if there is an eye poke, that should be an automatic point deduction, because the rule says "no extended fingers towards the opponent's eyes." If your fingers were not extended, there would be no eye pokes. Therefore, there is no excuse (in most cases, only a few exceptions)

Most referees don't understand this basic logic, so I wouldn't blame a fighter who exploits it to his/her advantage.

Well, I don't think I'm going to believe your bullshit words.

Where did you get "by whatever means necessary"?
Postmodernist moral relativism is retarded, and no one really believes it. It sounds nice and enlightened, until you try to live it, or you run into someone who does.
I was providing an example to demonstrate how "honor" can be interpreted differently from culture to culture. Some cultures have a "by any means necessary" ideology and others don't.

I am not a postmodern moral relativist. I simply don't believe in morals and ethics to begin with. I only obey the law, because the government has the power to enforce it, and make my life miserable. If I had the power, I would do whatever pleased me.

Anything goes in the universe. You can do whatever you can get away with, if you are able to live with the psychological aftermath of your actions.

It all comes down to "Who has the power?"

Back