Even Though Yoel Lost, Still Deserves Title Shot.

Mischievious

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Here's the deal. Whittaker beat Yoel but is injured and can't fight until next year. Whittaker is interim champ and this is a very strange situation with both champions being injured. So what's the solution? You have two potential fights. Since Bisping ready by November, Yoel should fight for the title even though Weidman won his fight against Gastelum.

He's why Yoel deserves it over Weidman. Yoel only just had his winning streak broken by Whittaker in a very closely contested fight that banked on the 5th round performance in which Whittaker just edged Romero on to win the fight. Yoel has destroyed most of the division including Weidman. So if Yoel fights Bisping, the winner of that fight must fight Whittaker. Either way it's win win. The division isn't held up and we get the fights we want no matter what. This allows Weidman to fight Jacare or Rockhold in the meantime to get the shot against the winner of Bisping/Romero vs Whittaker.

Last edited:
It's a bit sticky with the "interim" title. Hard to call Yoel the champ when he just lost to the "interim" champ, but then again, the guy who beat him is out for a while after the fight while Romero himself probably could have taken a fight the next day, so hard to really say he "lost" that fight in any sense other than sporting. Doesn't matter anyway, Bisping won't fight Romero.

With Whittaker injured this fight is the next best thing. I'd be fine with it. It's been too long since the belt was defended.
There have certainly been way worse title shots handed out.

I think he should get it. It was a very close fight he "lost" anyway. BJ Penn got a title shot against Matt Hughes after losing a close fight to GSP.

Heck Randy Couture got a title shot after getting knocked out lol.

I think Yoel deserves the title shot, now that Whittaker is injured. And who knows how long he'll be out for.

And the reason I think he earned it is because even though he lost for the interim belt. He is pretty much next in line after Whittaker for the belt imo.

Last edited:
As a fan of Yoel I have to say no. Just because when he absolutely destroys Bisping, we would have to see rematch. It was close fight, but I personally would like to see other machups.
It all depends how long is Robert sidelined.

I would definitely give Yoel the shot over Chris Weidman, since Yoel carved an axe wound in The Chris's head when they fought. Plus, Bisping and Yoel have kind of a fun, little beef.

Dude had a chance at a belt. He choked. Couldn't beat a guy with a fucked up knee. Yoel Rochoko

It's the UFC so it's possible. If the fight can generate more hype they will push for it.

NOm3_f-maxage-0.gif

Get real.

Whittaker is next in line, that is if Count Duckula signs up to fight.

Rematch Romero against Souza. Winner gets Title shot (and probable rematch against Whittaker).

" I really want this guy to KO the champ" does NOT equate to "This guy deserves the title shot"

Here's the deal. Whittaker beat Yoel but is injured and can't fight until next year. Whittaker is interim champ and this is a very strange situation with both champions being injured. So what's the solution? You have two potential fights. Since Bisping ready by November, Yoel should fight for the title even though Weidman won his fight against Gastelum.

He's why Yoel deserves it over Weidman. Yoel only just had his winning streak broken by Whittaker in a very closely contested fight that banked on the 5th round performance in which Whittaker just edged Romero on to win the fight. Yoel has destroyed most of the division including Weidman. So if Yoel fights Bisping, the winner of that fight must fight Whittaker. Either way it's win win. The division isn't held up and we get the fights we want no matter what. This allows Weidman to fight Jacare or Rockhold in the meantime to get the shot against the winner of Bisping/Romero vs Whittaker.
I agree with this. That was a fucking close fight and those 2 are clearly the best in the world.

Economero beats Whittaker in a rematch and destroys Bisping.

Yoel would Hulksmash Bisping, this fight has close to 0% of happening sadly.

Back