Why is Rockhold fighting Branch...

PerpetualWB

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
... as a UFC Fight Night Headliner? Doesn't seem like a compelling matchup at all that anyone asked for or wants to see. So what's the logic here? Just curious if I'm missing something.

Male Modeling hasn't worked out..

giphy.gif

No wants wants to fight the cockhold.

Because he was probably asking for a title shot and was promptly denied. It's either this or starve lol.

Luke is a top fighter coming back from a layoff, and he's fighting the WSOF champ.

Seems legit to me, let's find out if Branch can hang with the top guys in the UFC, or else let's make him a notch on their belt.

He was demanding a high profile fight so something definitely has changed. Maybe they needed a headliner for that card and offered him more but that seems very unlike WME. I think it's likely he saw there were no high profile opponents available until the end of the year and didn't want to wait that long. Wonder if they gave him any guarantees like if he wins he definitely gets a title eliminator or something like that.

He was demanding a high profile fight so something definitely has changed. Maybe they needed a headliner for that card and offered him more but that seems very unlike WME. I think it's likely he saw there were no high profile opponents available until the end of the year and didn't want to wait that long. Wonder if they gave him any guarantees like if he wins he definitely gets a title eliminator or something like that.
Yeah I guess there just aren't that many fighters available right now. Wonder what he's making for the fight. Just seems like a fight against David Branch in Pittsburgh is a little 'meh'.

He needs money and the UFC doesn't like him, that's why.

Luke is a top fighter coming back from a layoff, and he's fighting the WSOF champ.

Seems legit to me, let's find out if Branch can hang with the top guys in the UFC, or else let's make him a notch on their belt.

You should be ashamed of yourself, with that pumpkin colored user name.

I suspect its a Showcase Fight for Luke. Gets him an easy win against the WSOF champ so it is of some value. I would say if Luke wins he fights Weidman and the winner gets a shot after Whittaker. Loser fights Romero.

Yeah I guess there just aren't that many fighters available right now. Wonder what he's making for the fight. Just seems like a fight against David Branch in Pittsburgh is a little 'meh'.
Yeah, it was less than a week ago he said he wasn't interested in coming back to fight an unknown guy on some random fight night card. A few days later it was confirmed. Would be interested to know why he changed his mind.

... as a UFC Fight Night Headliner? Doesn't seem like a compelling matchup at all that anyone asked for or wants to see. So what's the logic here? Just curious if I'm missing something.
Was wondering the same thing. I will why not just rebook the Jacare fight.

Back