The great Sherdog/Varleans challenge!

Mbetz1981

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
The Challenge: Travel back in time to 1995 and compete against Ufc VII runner up Paul, "The Polar Bear," Varelans.

paul-varelans_1.jpg

Yes, you! You have been given this once in a lifetime challenge to travel back in time to 1995 to fight a prime Paul Varelans in a full contact NHB fight.

Which should be easy enough, because as we all know, any self-respecting Sherdog poster owns a time machine, (usually in a garage next to their Aston Martin).

You: You have at your disposal all the modern mma/bjj/etc that you currently know, plus whatever your current height/weight/age is... then that is what you get to take with you to the Octagon. Oh... and feel free to take all of your fresh Tap Out/Affliction/ Xtreme Couture swag with you if desired.

The rules: Not many. The usual suspects are barred... I.E. no biting, eye gouging, hair pulling, or intentional groin strikes, otherwise it's all legal.

There of course will be Big John McCarthy to referee, but keep in mind, someone is going to have to take quite a beating before a fight is going to get stopped.

Dress/equipment: You can pretty much wear whatever you want to. Gi, vale tudo shorts, wrestling singlet, and even a burlap sack will be accepted. Mma gloves are optional, but your opponent will be bare fisted.

Your opponents strengths:

1.The Polar Bear has the heart of a champion and a chin made out of tempered steel. If Mark Kerr couldn't get him to tap from 343456 knees to the head, then.... I hope your chances are better.

2. He is 6'8 and around 300 pounds. He is immune to the double legs of average mortals, and laughs at the measly takedown skills of your average BJJer. (Marco Ruas and Joe Morriera couldn't take him down either, so don't feel bad. )

3. His 6-12 elbows are devastating! His elbows are to be most feared, and probably still keep Cal Worsham up at night.

Your opponents weaknesses:

1. Technique. In 95 Paul Varelans probably didn't know a wristlock from a ham sandwich.

2. Cardio. While Varelans didn't have the worst endurance for a man of his size, he won't be confused for Frank Shamrock anytime soon.

3. Killer instinct. While he is more than capable of finishing a fight, he was not super agressive or a bully like a Tank Abbott.

Your strentghs/weaknesses: Well.... you tell us. In this thread you get to explain your strategy that will not only lead to your survival, but mma infamy.

Let's hear it!

I've been training HBO since I was a kid before 1995. I trained UFC in 1996. I would kill him dead.

First I'd start with a little...

giphy.gif

Then I would go for some...

knee.gif

Hopefully by then he's down and it's time for...

e5eeaaef674a2b20b121b38777b244a9.gif

If I went back to 1995, this would be the last thing I would waste my time doing.

First I'd start with a little...

giphy.gif

Then I would go for some...

knee.gif

Hopefully by then he's down and it's time for...

e5eeaaef674a2b20b121b38777b244a9.gif

Ahh.... Excellent. However, as sound as your Hackney strategy is... by the time 95 rolled around... groin strikes were no longer permitted. I'm guessing Big John would step in...

The Challenge: Travel back in time to 1995 and compete against Ufc VII runner up Paul, "The Polar Bear," Varelans.

View attachment 253107

Yes, you! You have been given this once in a lifetime challenge to travel back in time to 1995 to fight a prime Paul Varelans in a full contact NHB fight.

Which should be easy enough, because as we all know, any self-respecting Sherdog poster owns a time machine, (usually in a garage next to their Aston Martin).

You: You have at your disposal all the modern mma/bjj/etc that you currently know, plus whatever your current height/weight/age is... then that is what you get to take with you to the Octagon. Oh... and feel free to take all of your fresh Tap Out/Affliction/ Xtreme Couture swag with you if desired.

The rules: Not many. The usual suspects are barred... I.E. no biting, eye gouging, hair pulling, or intentional groin strikes, otherwise it's all legal.

There of course will be Big John McCarthy to referee, but keep in mind, someone is going to have to take quite a beating before a fight is going to get stopped.

Dress/equipment: You can pretty much wear whatever you want to. Gi, vale tudo shorts, wrestling singlet, and even a burlap sack will be accepted. Mma gloves are optional, but your opponent will be bare fisted.

Your opponents strengths:

1.The Polar Bear has the heart of a champion and a chin made out of tempered steel. If Mark Kerr couldn't get him to tap from 343456 knees to the head, then.... I hope your chances are better.

2. He is 6'8 and around 300 pounds. He is immune to the double legs of average mortals, and laughs at the measly takedown skills of your average BJJer. (Marco Ruas and Joe Morriera couldn't take him down either, so don't feel bad. )

3. His 6-12 elbows are devastating! His elbows are to be most feared, and probably still keep Cal Worsham up at night.

Your opponents weaknesses:

1. Technique. In 95 Paul Varelans probably didn't know a wristlock from a ham sandwich.

2. Cardio. While Varelans didn't have the worst endurance for a man of his size, he won't be confused for Frank Shamrock anytime soon.

3. Killer instinct. While he is more than capable of finishing a fight, he was not super agressive or a bully like a Tank Abbott.

Your strentghs/weaknesses: Well.... you tell us. In this thread you get to explain your strategy that will not only lead to your survival, but mma infamy.

Let's hear it!
AGAIN ?!?

ruas3.jpg

If I went back to 1995, this would be the last thing I would waste my time doing.

Then the glory can never be yours. Ask Marco Ruas... He probably still has his UFC VII belt in a display case somewhere.

Actually, it's beside my Alfa Romeo 8c. I haven't quite saved up enough for an Aston yet, but I'm almost there...

6360931315092257581118121973_maxresdefault%20(1).jpg

I would ask him about his childhood and go for the psychological KO.

Not sure if true, but my teacher always told me to kick the legs (repeatedly), and the polar bear will fall. Not sure if true, is an untested theory.

Not sure if true, but my teacher always told me to kick the legs (repeatedly), and the polar bear will fall. Not sure if true, is an untested theory.

This seems like sage advice.... don't forget to stop the feet for good measure!

Actually, it's beside my Alfa Romeo 8c. I haven't quite saved up enough for an Aston yet, but I'm almost there...

6360931315092257581118121973_maxresdefault%20(1).jpg
You look like you're really good friends with your wife's boyfriend, since he bought you that car.

Travel back in time - and lose my Silver Belt? You gotta be kidding me.

You look like you're really good friends with your wife's boyfriend, since he bought you that car.
Did he also buy me this pool, and the indoor Tennis court and basketball court I have near the home theatre?

1280x720-rSM.jpg

Oh and btw, that's just my guest house. Let me show you around to the main one ;)

Back