Paulie Malignaggi & Joseph Valtellini‏ argue about sparring

Wow that was actually a very nice exchange. Valtelllini knows what he is talking about, concussions ended his career.

The worst thing about that was him calling Paulie an ATG. May as well lump any boxer who ever lived in to the ATG category too now. Also Conor is fully aware of not wanting head trauma in sparring hence he chose to spar Paulie the feather fisted twat who can't crack an egg.

They both make good points, but I side with Joseph here. Less concussions at any moment is better imo for the longevity of your career and the betterment of your life after your career. Never want to give your entire life to something you'll only spend 10 maybe 15 years of it doing professionally. If you're gonna take head trauma, it should be done for money and not during practice imo.

Combat sports are very dangerous.. if you don't spar hard you don't improve in that same pace. Nothing comes close to a real fight but a hard simulation it's the next best thing.

Yea okay don't be total tards about it but hard training and sparring is what made many champions.

We like to fuck around and point fingers at it but that's the reality of most of the top gyms if not all.

They're both right in their own way, it's a delicate line to walk. Hard sparring is a staple of boxing (for better or worse) and always has been. Gym wars are legendary and that's where skills were always honed.

The worst thing about that was him calling Paulie an ATG. May as well lump any boxer who ever lived in to the ATG category too now. Also Conor is fully aware of not wanting head trauma in sparring hence he chose to spar Paulie the feather fisted twat who can't crack an egg.

Exactly. Paulie's the saltiest boxer int he history of boxing. Because Manny's 100x better than him, he has to be taking PEDs? But he never ever accuses the slick brothas of taking PEDs. Such a joke. And the guys boxing abilities are way way overrated. The guy barely ever used head movement, and would always just slide out with his feet most of the time. LMAO at calling him an ATG.

But yeah, I agree with both guys. Kind of lost my cool, and went off on Paulie lol. Wasn't necessary, but I'm not deleting this.

I have to side with Pauli. I get the head trauma issue, but really if your trying to avoid head trauma and your career is fighting then you do need to pick another career. If you want to be an elite fighter you have to train like one. If you are getting hit in sparring then you know youre likely gonna get hit in the fight. Therefore you make adjustments to not get hit. Or you can spar the way Joseph talks and show up on fight night and find out then you cant take the heat. If your satisfied with taking a huge shot to the head by your opponent rather than one while wearing head gear... to each his own

hard sparring is bad. ive never spent a minute of my life sparring and i say this as a 12-0 ammy with all finishes and 0 concussions

people defending it are mostly people who are suffering from its negative side effects but still need to tell themselves (and the world) that what they were doing was somehow justified or a worthy sacrifice

They both make good points but with the increasing knowledge on brain injury, I lean towards Joe's perspective. But like I said, I understand both sides. I definitely see where Paulie's coming from.

They both make good points, but I side with Joseph here. Less concussions at any moment is better imo for the longevity of your career and the betterment of your life after your career. Never want to give your entire life to something you'll only spend 10 maybe 15 years of it doing professionally. If you're gonna take head trauma, it should be done for money and not during practice imo.

Great posts here in this thread. Everyone is making valid points

Thats how you debate right here, no attacking personally just facts and personal experiences. love it!

Exactly. Paulie's the saltiest boxer int he history of boxing. Because Manny's 100x better than him, he has to be taking PEDs? But he never ever accuses the slick brothas of taking PEDs. Such a joke. And the guys boxing abilities are way way overrated. The guy barely ever used head movement, and would always just slide out with his feet most of the time. LMAO at calling him an ATG.

But yeah, I agree with both guys. Kind of lost my cool, and went off on Paulie lol. Wasn't necessary, but I'm not deleting this.
Paulie wouldn't be the first to accuse mannyn of steroids. It has nothing to do with the fact he is better than Paulie either.

Anyway, they're both right in this situation. You don't want to shorten your career but how can you really prepare for a fight without simulating one properly.

Paulie wouldn't be the first to accuse mannyn of steroids. It has nothing to do with the fact he is better than Paulie either.

Anyway, they're both right in this situation. You don't want to shorten your career but how can you really prepare for a fight without simulating one properly.

I know, but the guy comes off so damn bitter, and continues to attack Manny with it. Every damn top elite fighter uses PEDs, and that's not generalizing. That's just the way of the world, but Manny's the biggest abuser?

Back