3. Jacare
4. Mousasi
5. Romero
6. Whittaker
7. Weidman
8. Bisping
9. Gatellum
10.Brunson

Healthy Rockhold could be #1. But training with AKA it might never happen.

1. Rockhold
2. Whittaker
3. Phillips
4. Weidman
5. Jacare
6. Yoel
7. Mousasi
8. Gastellum
9. Rich Franklin
10. Kennedy

No way Romero is top 3. He relies on his athleticism more than any other fighter in the top 10

No way Romero is top 3. He relies on his athleticism more than any other fighter in the top 10
To clarify, I meant current fighting ability. @DLX
(so everyone needs to get Silva out of the top 3!)

Nothing else matters to me as a fight fan.

Silva, tbh.

he's just too far past his prime.

1. Silva
  • Legendary striking
  • Awesome ground game
  • Skills still there- reflexes sadly betrayed him
2. Jacare
  • Top 3 MMA BJJ of all time
  • Effective stand-up
  • Awesome wrestling
3. Mousasi
  • Elite stand-up
  • Great ground-game
  • Mediocre wrestling
4. Weidman
  • Great wrestling
  • Great ground-game
  • Decent striking
  • Slow as fuck
5. Romero
  • Elite wrestling
  • Effective stand-up
  • Average ground-game
6. Bisping
  • Technical striking
  • Decent wrestling
  • Decent ground game
  • Very well-rounded
7. Whittaker
  • Technical, efficient striking
  • Good wrestling
  • Haven't seen much of his ground game
8. Don't Give a Fuck

That's ranking them purely on skill.

When athleticism is factored in the rankings look completely different.

edit: forgot about Rockhold. Don't really know where to rank him. Dude has all the skills but just begs to get ko'd sometimes.

1. Whittaker
2. Yoel
3. Rockhold
4. Jacare
5. Moose
6. Brunson
7. Weidman
8. Gastelum
9. Bisping
10. Silva

1. Rockhold
2. Whittaker (IC)
3. Romero

4. Mousasi
5. Weidman
6. Jacare

7. Brunson
8. Gastelum

9. Bisping (C kind of)
10. Silva
Anderson is number 10??? He should be #1 lol
Because he is out of his prime doesnt mean he isnt the most skilled MW in history. His skills didn't disappear, his youth did.

1. Silva
2. Rockhold
3. Jacare
4. Mousasi
5. Romero
6. Whittaker
7. Weidman
8. Bisping
9. Gatellum
10.Brunson
Lol, okay.. whatever you say. Whittaker showed how vulnerable Jacare is standing up and his lack of wrestling, and showed what can happen if you stay calm vs Romero.. but nope, doesn't have as much skill.

1) Whittaker
I can't decide who I would rank second and third; but:
2/3) Romero/Rockhold
4) Weidman
5) Jacare
6) Mousasi (would actually rank him higher; however he doesn't hold a recent win over either of them- barring that weird af stoppage of the Weidman fight)
7) Bisping
8, 9 and 10 - I no longer care.
I didn't put Silva on this list as right now: he is a shell of his former self.

Whittaker will knock Rockhold out and expose his lack of boxing fundamentals- then you all can stop overrating him.

Lol, okay.. whatever you say. Whittaker showed how vulnerable Jacare is standing up and his lack of wrestling, and showed what can happen if you stay calm vs Romero.. but nope, doesn't have as much skill.
I think we approached the question differently.

I look at it this way, any one fighter's abilities is made up of Skill, Athleticism, Intangibles (heart, desire, motivation, etc), durability. The "Skill" part is the technical know-how in the different disciplines and aspects of MMA. Jacare's skill level in BJJ is very high, his wrestling is high also, his striking is decent. I think Jacare's overall "skill score" is higher than Whitaker's. However Whitaker beats him in Athleticisim, maybe durability and at this stage the intangibles probably.

Just like with Anderson, I thin overall "skill", he's the highest. But I think he would get smashed by Whitaker, Romero, Jacare and Rockhold.

That's just the way I interpreted the question.

1:Mousasi
1:Whittaker
3:Rockhold
4:Silva
5:Weidman
6:Brunson
7:Gastelum
8:Romero(p. usada)
9:Jacare(P.usada)
10:GSP
16:Bisping

How do you even attempt to do this..

Weidman in the first round is probably the most overall skilled, but then he gasses and becomes FAR less impressive.
Mousasi is 57 leagues above everyone else in striking, but has been easily taken down and held.
Romero is nothing but a freak athlete, minimal skill with him compared to others, no offense.
Whittaker is a good striker, but nothing like Mousasi, and isn't an outstanding grappler.
Luke amazing grappler, good kicks but shit boxing. Has and would get knocked out often.

Gun to my head, assuming all guys fresh 1st round skill:
Mousasi
Weidman
Whittaker
Luke
Romero
Silva
Jacare
Bisping

I think we approached the question differently.

I look at it this way, any one fighter's abilities is made up of Skill, Athleticism, Intangibles (heart, desire, motivation, etc), durability. The "Skill" part is the technical know-how in the different disciplines and aspects of MMA. Jacare's skill level in BJJ is very high, his wrestling is high also, his striking is decent. I think Jacare's overall "skill score" is higher than Whitaker's. However Whitaker beats him in Athleticisim, maybe durability and at this stage the intangibles probably.

Just like with Anderson, I thin overall "skill", he's the highest. But I think he would get smashed by Whitaker, Romero, Jacare and Rockhold.

That's just the way I interpreted the question.
Jacare's wrestling isn't great, he struggled on every occasion to get Whittaker down, I know Whittaker has great takedown defense, but you would at least have thought Jacare would have had an answer - which he did. But Whittaker still walked away from it without trouble. I like Jacare, but he even admitted that his wrestling game wasn't where it should be.

I think the skill levels of each fighter are around about the same as they are ranked. With the main exception of Bisping being the champion. Silva is also up there, but not as high as he was in 2008-2013.

1# A Silva by skill he is just old now.

Back