Kevlin Gastelum speaks Portuguese?

Mixed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cordeiro was giving him instructions in Portuguese in the corner and there was no translator. I thought Kelvin was Mexican? I know Spanish and Portuguese are somewhat similar, but I don't understand how he understands Portuguese.

Ye I thought he was speaking some Portuguese after he roflstomped Vitor in Brazil

As a mexican he speaks spanish and understand a lot of portuguese. Fight talk isn't that difficult as you hear it every day in the gym

That's Japanese, Mike

You should know

He doesn't speak 'defending the choke' well either, or weight cutting.

When your around the game long enough you can vaguely understand it (from fights, bjj tournaments, brazilian teammates etc..) And also as you said its slightly similar to spanish

Cordeiro was giving him instructions in Portuguese in the corner and there was no translator. I thought Kelvin was Mexican? I know Spanish and Portuguese are somewhat similar, but I don't understand how he understands Portuguese.

He does speaks portuguese and he seems pretty good at it.

Probably because of the shit load of Brazilians at kings. Not surprised if he picked it up.

That's pretty cool. It's a good marketing move. I think Mayhem and Rampage used to speak Japanese to the crowds in Pride. And Dern speaks English sometimes.

That's Japanese, Mike

You should know

joe: "arn't you married to a Japanese woman?"

goldy " yes, yes i am"

that exchange is my favorite goldberg conversation ever. cracks me up every time.

Yeah he speaks pretty good portuguese, can't wait until he develops a brazilian accent

He trains with a lot of Brazilians and it's easier to pick up Portuguese if you already speak Spanish

Makes sense he'd be able to pick up at least conversational Portuguese

Very simple if you speak Spanish especially if he trains with a brazilian coach. But then again he may be born in raised in the states where you're not allowed to and God forbid if he had an accent or started to develop one now.

im surprised, people dont know, but spanish and portuguese arent just kinda similar, they are verry similar. one language can understand the other (for the most part). once you understand the small differences its not difficult at all.

after all, theyre both romance languages

Back