Gastelum isn't too small for 185

FlyingDeathKick

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Where was all this nonsense before the fight? If DC loses to Jones will it be because he is too small for 205? He might be short but the dude is massive, idk if most people on here are retarded or what the deal is. Who has he beat at 170 that makes people think it's a better weight class for him? I'd like to see him stand beside RDA who is shorter than him, has a shorter reach and probably weighs more than 30lbs less.

Him being small more has to do with his height/frame/and yes mostly his height. MW is a by and large +6'0 and up division or maybe 5'11. Kelvin is maybe 5'9 at best? UFC probably rounds and he is probably a tad under 5'9.

Cormier is also by frame size a natural LHW or could be a shredded MW. Corimier is strong as hell but he carries a lot of body fat he could definitely fight at MW if he shed all the fat and be a lean 205lb MW. In any case I think Kelvin based on his height and frame could be a LW or a muscular WW. LW is likely out of the question given how much muscle and fat he carries and his lack of desire to want to be that lean. However, WW is possible for him if he sheds fat and diets better.

Him being small more has to do with his height/frame/and yes mostly his height. MW is a by and large +6'0 and up division or maybe 5'11. Kelvin is maybe 5'9 at best? UFC probably rounds and he is probably a tad under 5'9.

Cormier is also by frame size a natural LHW or could be a shredded MW. Corimier is strong as hell but he carries a lot of body fat he could definitely fight at MW if he shed all the fat and be a lean 205lb MW. In any case I think Kelvin based on his height and frame could be a LW or a muscular WW. LW is likely out of the question given how much muscle and fat he carries and his lack of desire to want to be that lean. However, WW is possible for him if he sheds fat and diets better.
His frame looks massive to me. Way bigger than Hendricks (who literally has no business at 185).

People picked him as a sure thing and were wrong. This is how they try to deflect away from their failure. It's the way of sherdog. Make over the top confident picks, and when wrong, use hindsight bias to deflect away from mistakes.

Nah he really is..

It's all fun and games knocking old saggy Vitor around
Or Tim 'doesn't train MMA anymore' Kennedy

The elite guys chew him up using the size advantage,

Less Burritos, and WW gold is in his future

Average height of UFC middleweights: 6'1"
Average reach of UFC middleweights: 75.2"

Kelvin is 5'9" and his reach is 71.5"

Him and Johnny Hendricks are the two shortest middleweights on the roster. They should both be fighting at welterweight. Oh, and RDA should be fighting at LW.

I don't think he is too small for MW. He was favored against a bigger, stronger MW in Weidman and he lost. Now that he lost, he wants to move back down to the place he struggled to make weight at.

I'm sure most of the people saying Gastelum was the next champ at MW are the same ones who are now saying he's too small.

Nice try but him being too small for MW was being talked about a lot before the fight.

Even at WW he belongs to the smaller ones by frame. If he gets in better shape WW is perfect for him. He can hang at MW but it's beyond me how anyone could still say size is not a problem for him at MW. Weidman dwarfed him. And not Conor-type-two-inches-taller-dwarfed. He gave up about 4-5 inches in height and 6+ inches in reach. And Weidman probably was a lot heavier than him while also being leaner.

Weidman is a big MW but the top guys all have a similar size.

DC struggles to make LHW but could also lean down a lot if he was younger. Hunt cuts to 265lbs. They are poor examples to compare to Gastellum since he has made WW before.

Last edited:
I don't think he is too small for MW. He was favored against a bigger, stronger MW in Weidman and he lost. Now that he lost, he wants to move back down to the place he struggled to make weight at.
He talked about moving back down since he was forced to move up before and after he knocked out Kennedy and Vitor. WW was always his plan.

Weidman vs Gastelum looked like an open-weight fight. They clearly did not belong in the same weight division. It was a chubby WW vs. a future LHW. Kelvin said at the press conference he is too small he wants to go back to WW. He's never stopped saying that. He always said he doesn't belong at MW. Still a good win for Weidman.

Gastelum is definitely small for MW. Whether he's "too" small, I don't know.

I think Weidman may have lost three straight, but for the most part was competitive against a murderer's row. Weidman is capable of being champ - as are a number of MWs. And Weidman was a winnable fight for Kelvin.

So given the right matchups and some luck, I think Gastelum could be MW champ. In that sense, I don't think he's too small.

But the size is a disadvantage IMO, and he's better of at WW. I think his odds of WW gold are much higher than his chances of MW gold. At MW, I think he needs a good bit of luck to go on a streak and win the title.

He needs much less luck at WW. He's right there with the top WWs.

It's a shame he's so undisciplined with his diet. That's his biggest weakness. Which is unusual for a pro fighter.

It's a shame he's so undisciplined with his diet. That's his biggest weakness. Which is unusual for a pro fighter.
He doesn't have the heart of a Champion. He doesn't have the discipline, the ego or the obsession. He'll just be a top 10 gatekeeper at both WW and MW the rest of his career, imo.

Kelvin has used his smaller size as advantage in all his MW fights up until the Weidman fight. He has increased speed, reflexes, and cardio as a result of him fighting at MW over WW.

Such a dumb cop-out answer considering all those things I just named were the reason Gastelum was the betting favorite going into the bout.
Now that he lost all those advantage are tossed out the window? Retarded.

i agree, he has a wide thick frame. Bigger then Hendrick's

i think his growth as a fighter will suffer when his entire camp is around making weight.

175 would probably be ideal but oh well.

If they changed to 175 or 180 he would still miss weight

Peple like this have a problem, changing the weight classes isnt the solution

Where was all this nonsense before the fight? If DC loses to Jones will it be because he is too small for 205? He might be short but the dude is massive, idk if most people on here are retarded or what the deal is. Who has he beat at 170 that makes people think it's a better weight class for him? I'd like to see him stand beside RDA who is shorter than him, has a shorter reach and probably weighs more than 30lbs less.
Come on, friend. We watched the fight and saw that size was a difference maker. Chris Weidman was going to get gassed trying to control a bigger MW.

Look at Chris' game plan, it was all based on getting the takedown and not getting gassed doing it. He was taking a lot of breaks on the ground, because Kelvin was relatively easier to control.

There is nothing wrong with changing one's opinion when presented with new data.

Fair play to Weidman for the victory. However, I still believe USADA did a number on him. That takedown gameplan will not work as easily on bigger MWs.

Weidman did not look good in my opinion. He wasn't able to push the pace, he had no other path to victory except for the takedown, and he was going to gas if Kelvin had made him work.

But the division is weak, so he has a chance like any Top 10 in that division.

Back