Kelvin should move up to 205

Drain Bamage

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He is too drained at 185 and thus can't fight to his full potential

Yes, also HW is a option.

Waiting for someone to make the height equal weight argument and say he should be a LW

He should change his name to Kevin because Kelvin isn't a real name.

I hate when guys like him struggle to make weight you always get idiots calling for another useless division. Like ""oooh make a 165lb division and raise 170lbs to 175lbs!!!) So guys who are clearly too heavy to be fighting at WW can stay at WW instead of going up.

Look Kelvin has a wack body composition. MW is a by and large +6'0 and up division. Kelvin's frame, bone structure/size and all point to him being a LW or muscular WW. And yet he struggled to make weight at WW. Oh and Kelvin barely made MW on friday!!!

I hate when guys like him struggle to make weight you always get idiots calling for another useless division. Like ""oooh make a 165lb division and raise 170lbs to 175lbs!!!) So guys who are clearly too heavy to be fighting at WW can stay at WW instead of going up.

Look Kelvin has a wack body composition. MW is a by and large +6'0 and up division. Kelvin's frame, bone structure/size and all point to him being a LW or muscular WW. And yet he struggled to make weight at WW. Oh and Kelvin barely made MW on friday!!!
Yeah, he's not some big-framed dude who can't make LW. He's a chubby guy who gets by on talent and maybe gets the munchies a little too often due to his extracurriculars.

Yeah, he's not some big-framed dude who can't make LW. He's a chubby guy who gets by on talent and maybe gets the munchies a little too often due to his extracurriculars.

That is what I am saying. It is hard to argue against the science of lean body mass, strength, muscle mass and how that relates to frame size and what a 'natural' bodybuilder/strong men can accomplish. Fighters should try and approach a max for their lean body mass for their height. And yes height is the biggest determination. Bone size/frame size might allow you to carry a little extra weight/muscle more effectively than someone your same height. But people are crazy to think that 5'9 guys somehow in top ideal conditioning when they are +200lbs.

Even if they are +200lbs of all muscle at 6% body fat that is too much muscle mass and far beyond what a natural lifter could accomplish for a 5'9 frame. And yeah you'd gas hard. Its why Pudz was 320lbs of mostly all muscle at 6'1 and he had to drop like 50lbs of mostly muscle cause his cardio was absolute shit.

That is what I am saying. It is hard to argue against the science of lean body mass, strength, muscle mass and how that relates to frame size and what a 'natural' bodybuilder/strong men can accomplish. Fighters should try and approach a max for their lean body mass for their height. And yes height is the biggest determination. Bone size/frame size might allow you to carry a little extra weight/muscle more effectively than someone your same height. But people are crazy to think that 5'9 guys somehow in top ideal conditioning when they are +200lbs.

Even if they are +200lbs of all muscle at 6% body fat that is too much muscle mass and far beyond what a natural lifter could accomplish for a 5'9 frame. And yeah you'd gas hard. Its why Pudz was 320lbs of mostly all muscle at 6'1 and he had to drop like 50lbs of mostly muscle cause his cardio was absolute shit.
Yup. I always think of Jeff Monson fighting at HW at 5'9" and a lean 225 (if I remember right). it kind of worked for his style but still gotta think he would've been better off at MW or even WW.

looks good at 170
07-Kelvin-Gastelum-UFC-FN27_5823.jpg

Yup. I always think of Jeff Monson fighting at HW at 5'9" and a lean 225 (if I remember right). it kind of worked for his style but still gotta think he would've been better off at MW or even WW.

Completely agree. Humans were did not evolve or were not 'designed' to carry such excess fat, or tons of muscle. It isn't optimum. https://www.builtlean.com/2011/03/30/how-much-muscle-can-you-gain-naturally/

^^ check this out. The height chart to weight for what you could naturally achieve at 6% body fat is pretty accurate from a scientific view. And yeah Monson is a rare example. Undersized on frame, height etc at HW but very strong for his height and hard to manhandle although it most certainly did happen. I'd say what really helped him was his strength and grappling background.

It is better to go up in weight and be a jacked' shorter' guy than to go down in weight and be the skinny physically weak bean pole. That is why as I have said before you won't see good fighters who are 6'0 or taller in the lower weight divisions (say below WW or even at WW) cause in order for them to make weight they have to be skinny fat or just pretty weak in general and they end up getting manhandled in the clinch, and on the ground by stronger shorter fighters who have maxed out their optimum LBM for their height.

Fedor and Cormier are 2 other guys who have the frame of natural LHW or could be large MW if they were shredded and dieted. I could easily have seen Fedor as a 220lb lean and muscular LHW or even 215lbs. Or as a 205lb MW who had some less muscle but was freakish athletic for MW.

Completely agree. Humans were did not evolve or were not 'designed' to carry such excess fat, or tons of muscle. It isn't optimum. https://www.builtlean.com/2011/03/30/how-much-muscle-can-you-gain-naturally/

^^ check this out. The height chart to weight for what you could naturally achieve at 6% body fat is pretty accurate from a scientific view. And yeah Monson is a rare example. Undersized on frame, height etc at HW but very strong for his height and hard to manhandle although it most certainly did happen. I'd say what really helped him was his strength and grappling background.

It is better to go up in weight and be a jacked' shorter' guy than to go down in weight and be the skinny physically weak bean pole. That is why as I have said before you won't see good fighters who are 6'0 or taller in the lower weight divisions (say below WW or even at WW) cause in order for them to make weight they have to be skinny fat or just pretty weak in general and they end up getting manhandled in the clinch, and on the ground by stronger shorter fighters who have maxed out their optimum LBM for their height.

Fedor and Cormier are 2 other guys who have the frame of natural LHW or could be large MW if they were shredded and dieted. I could easily have seen Fedor as a 220lb lean and muscular LHW or even 215lbs. Or as a 205lb MW who had some less muscle but was freakish athletic for MW.
Great link. Reminds me that I have a long way to go to be at my optimal body weight though lol!

And Mark Hunt should be a WW

I'd say MW. I do think he is naturally large frame and boned.

His metabolism and genetics might make it difficult for him to be a WW. But no doubt if he lost all the fat he'd be about 200lbs or under it.

Great link. Reminds me that I have a long way to go to be at my optimal body weight though lol!

Same I am super skinny.

Back